Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’d have a beer with Boris, the big fookin toff 😆

Don’t mean he should be our bloody Prime Minister though!

It’s never healthy when an administration has no viable opposition. Labour need to sort their shit out 

If have a beer with him as well, seems the type of bloke who gets rat arsed and falls over. Great laugh but PM!! No Fvckin way

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc
Just now, Bryn said:

Oh, you're pro lockdown I see.

Putting words in my mouth I see. 

What they've told you, is that it's the lockdowns which have stopped the flu, whereas it could just be that covid has replaced the flu. 

Just now, Harrydc said:

Putting words in my mouth I see. 

What they've told you, is that it's the lockdowns which have stopped the flu, whereas it could just be that covid has replaced the flu. 

And how did it do that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Vaccine passports are nothing without vaccines.

& if/when everyone is vaccinated why would we need a VP to attend an event?

Because you'll never get everybody vaccinated, simply won't happen. 

We'll see I guess. I really hope they don't go down that path. 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

20,000 people a year die from the flu. In 2018 we had some of the worst flu cases in history. 

We didn't lock down. We didn't ruin our economy and we didn't count every single case as if it was the worst thing in the world.  

Now, flu is practically non existant. Wonder why that is... 

100,000 + died despite being in total lockdown for huge portions of the year. It isn't the f***** flu, which is why we don't lock down for flu. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

The words Could, Might, Maybe. you're acting like the vaccines don't work.

They have literally already said it doesn't work as well against this variant. And it's important you have two, many do not. 

In the 6 months June 2020 to Jan 2021 less then 250 died in the age range 0-39yrs (baring in mind this is without any vaccine)

And the rest of the population? The rest of the population have had 2 shots, this isn't going to change in the next 4 weeks.

But you are saying 1000's could still die in 1 month (baring in mind some in that age range have had 1 shot & some 2).... I'm not buying that.

It's basic maths Otis. If 8 a day are dying now, and the virus numbers double every 4.5 days. The data we have against Delta is only a small amount, you cannot take the risk. Because if the positive trend we are seeing doesn't continue, we're ****ed and back into a proper lockdown. 

the Indian varaient has been here for 4 weeks and we're are yet to see any uptick so cases doesn't automatically equal deaths.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

Because you'll never get everybody vaccinated, simply won't happen. 

We'll see I guess. I really hope they don't go down that path. 

Well at some point in the future, everyone will have the option, whether they choose to take it is their risk.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s a terrible disease but did you know that as many people have died over the past year due to untreated physical illness, as due to covid?

The backlog of people waiting to be seen even for initial appointments is huge and in some cases will be years.

There has to be some compromise

8 deaths in a day, although tragic, is incomparable to the numbers of people who die every single day of other diseases. Eg cancers 

We lose circa 450 per day to cancer:

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics-for-the-uk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Of course not, and it's not my end game that matters I'm not in charge. What I hope is that another couple of weeks of data just to make sure the data we are getting (which looks promising in terms of deaths), is correct and holds up as the cases sky rocket further. In two weeks I'd hope we are in a position to re-open, even before the new deadline. 

The people in charge are responsible for the lives of millions of people, it's very very easy to say throw the shackles off a keyboard warrior. But I'd rather the people in charge of the country play it a bit more cautious. 

I know you're not in charge and I wasn't implying you were. I was just asking for your viewpoint on how we get out of this and how we come out of restrictions :)

I personally thought there was enough data currently considering how long we've been vaccinating people, and how dramatically the numbers of deaths have come down and stayed very low. This while cases have shot up anyway. I think the 2-week 'break clause' is just a sweetener. Something to make us all think 'oh it might not be 4 weeks!!!!' but in actuality it most definitely will be. 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Within 28 days of a positive test for ANY reason may I add. 

An estimated 979 000 (95% confidence interval 954 000 to 1 001 000) excess deaths occurred in 2020 in the 29 high income countries analysed. All countries had excess deaths in 2020, except New Zealand, Norway, and Denmark. The five countries with the highest absolute number of excess deaths were the US (458 000, 454 000 to 461 000), Italy (89 100, 87 500 to 90 700), England and Wales (85 400, 83 900 to 86 800), Spain (84 100, 82 800 to 85 300), and Poland (60 100, 58 800 to 61 300). New Zealand had lower overall mortality than expected (−2500, −2900 to −2100). In many countries, the estimated number of excess deaths substantially exceeded the number of reported deaths from covid-19. The highest excess death rates (per 100 000) in men were in Lithuania (285, 259 to 311), Poland (191, 184 to 197), Spain (179, 174 to 184), Hungary (174, 161 to 188), and Italy (168, 163 to 173); the highest rates in women were in Lithuania (210, 185 to 234), Spain (180, 175 to 185), Hungary (169, 156 to 182), Slovenia (158, 132 to 184), and Belgium (151, 141 to 162). Little evidence was found of subsequent compensatory reductions following excess mortality.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1137

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

We can't vaccinate against and prevent the spread of cancer in the manner we do with COVID-19, it's chalk and cheese.

I'm not even saying I'm currently pro-lockdown but you can't just say these things without thinking.

3 minutes ago, Otis said:
And the rest of the population? The rest of the population have had 2 shots, this isn't going to change in the next 4 weeks.

No they have not. 

3 minutes ago, Otis said:
It's basic maths Otis. If 8 a day are dying now, and the virus numbers double every 4.5 days. The data we have against Delta is only a small amount, you cannot take the risk. Because if the positive trend we are seeing doesn't continue, we're ****ed and back into a proper lockdown. 

the Indian varaient has been here for 4 weeks and we're are yet to see any uptick so cases doesn't automatically equal deaths.

4 weeks localised in certain areas, the numbers have been very low but growing rapidly. Everyone knows cases don't automatically equal deaths, that's what they are keeping their eye on. 

Just now, Bryn said:

We can't vaccinate against and prevent the spread of cancer in the manner we do with COVID-19, it's chalk and cheese.

I'm not even saying I'm currently pro-lockdown but you can't just say these things without thinking.

I agree.

I was just giving Col some accurate statistics to work with, seeing as how he brought it up about cancer deaths.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I know you're not in charge and I wasn't implying you were. I was just asking for your viewpoint on how we get out of this and how we come out of restrictions :)

I personally thought there was enough data currently considering how long we've been vaccinating people, and how dramatically the numbers of deaths have come down and stayed very low. This while cases have shot up anyway. I think the 2-week 'break clause' is just a sweetener. Something to make us all think 'oh it might not be 4 weeks!!!!' but in actuality it most definitely will be. 

Up until about three days ago there was only 12,000 known delta cases. That's a very small number to get any cast iron data from in reality. It's been very localised until now. And you've got to track to make sure that new 30,000 don't suddenly cark it in the next few weeks. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is why things are so frustrating on a personal level. I didn't even know Wimbledon was allowed to go ahead at full capacity.

Appalling but not surprising. 

No different to 100 punters banned from going to watch, say, anstey nomads or Shepshed over the winter ...yet the blue rinse brigade could mooch round a garden centre all day, every day looking at bird feeders and kneeling pads 

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

F906085A-DBF1-4137-BDD7-15F5A7875F4F.jpeg

There ya go...

I’d be surprised if all of these causes of death haven’t increased over the past year, in part I would suggest due to people not being assessed, seen and diagnosed in time

Covid is fookin awful. So is having untreatable lung cancer because it’s not been diagnosed in time to do any fookin thing about it

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

F906085A-DBF1-4137-BDD7-15F5A7875F4F.jpeg

Nice chart, noting that, should we keep contributing to the destruction of our environment and take no action on climate change noting the most significant consequence of these actions won't be witnessed in the near-term?  Can't draw any parallels to today's discussion there .

Edited by Zear0
typo
  • Haha 1