Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Qualification for Champions' League & Europa League

Thought it would be useful to put the rules up. From Premier League site: https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained#:~:text=In normal circumstances%2C three UEL,for the second qualifying round.

A breakdown of how PL clubs can qualify for the UEFA Champions League and Europa League

The maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

(Please note UEFA reserves the right to change the conditions of the access list so these criteria can be subject to change.)

UEFA Champions League (UCL) qualification
In normal circumstances, four UCL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

The top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.

UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualification
In normal circumstances, three UEL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

The fifth-placed team in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.
The winners of the FA Cup qualify for the group stage proper.
The EFL Cup winners qualify for the second qualifying round.

Where these qualifications changes
a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UEL second qualifying round place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

How does winning UCL/UEL affect qualification?
Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's competition regardless of their league finishing position.

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position.

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

[My addition: 6th & 7th place qualify for Europa League IF the FA Cup and/or Carabao Cup are won by a team finishing in top 5 - already the case with Carabao Cup (Man City). 

So, normally 6th place should qualify for Europa League. Also, normally 7th place should qualify for Europa League IF FA Cup winners finish in top 6.....certain for Man City, highly probable but not mathematically certain for Chelsea & Man Utd.....unlikely for Arsenal. The non-normal situation would be if Chelsea won Champions' League (almost impossible) & Wolves won Europa League (possible)]

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are now our options, as I understand it.......

(To simplify, I'm assuming Chelsea don't overturn a 3-0 deficit away v. Bayern & go on to win CL & Man. Utd and Chelsea finish in top 6)

- Finish 3rd or 4th: Champions' League

- Finish 5th: Europa League group stage

- Finish 6th: Europa League UNLESS Wolves win Europa League AND Arsenal win FA Cup (group stages if neither happens; 2nd qualifying round if one happens)

- Finish 7th: Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round UNLESS EITHER Wolves win Europa League OR Arsenal win FA Cup

(Though if Wolves finish 5th and win Europa League, then 6th would definitely qualify for 20-21 EL & so would 7th, unless Arsenal win FA Cup)

I'm sure there are million-to-one scenarios that could disrupt that, but that's the gist, isn't it? :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't qualify for the CL considering how well we've played for most of the season, but still thrilled with EL, if that makes sense?

We'd have the chance of getting further in the EL and could even win it, if we buy right in the summer. 

This season's end feels very much like Puel's first season ending - squad depleted in the wrong areas from injuries and suspensions, volatile form and a disunited squad; we all just want the season to ****ing end.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Most kind but probably no longer relevant to us.

lol

So, you're convinced we'll definitely fall to at least 8th (behind not just Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves & Sheff. Utd, but even Spurs, who trail us by 7pts - effectively 8pts due to GD - with 3 matches left)?

Or that Chelsea will overturn a 3-0 deficit in Munich and go on to lift the CL, while Wolves win the EL?

Or that Arsenal will inevitably win FA Cup & Wolves the EL?

Blimey, mate, I thought I was pessimistic! :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

This season's end feels very much like Puel's first season ending - squad depleted in the wrong areas from injuries and suspensions, volatile form and a disunited squad; we all just want the season to ****ing end.

What makes you think a 6/7 week break will stop this rot, when a 3 month break arguably made it worse? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

lol

So, you're convinced we'll definitely fall to at least 8th (behind not just Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves & Sheff. Utd, but even Spurs, who trail us by 7pts - effectively 8pts due to GD - with 3 matches left)?

Or that Chelsea will overturn a 3-0 deficit in Munich and go on to lift the CL, while Wolves win the EL?

I think a lot of people can't see us getting another point - after last night's debacle. If that's the case 8th is possible and more likely than CL. :blush:

There’s a chance we finish 8th. We’ve got Spurs and Sheff United to play and their fixtures are very winnable games. I can’t see us winning or drawing any of our remaining games 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

lol

He said probably not definitely.. and it's definitely probable. We're missing Ricky, Chilly, Madders, Cags and general confidence for the last 3 games, against teams with plenty to play for. 

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think a lot of people can't see us getting another point - after last night's debacle. If that's the case 8th is possible and more likely than CL. :blush:

Not getting another point is distinctly possible......though I'd bloody hope for a big reaction to yesterday's fiasco.

But even if we get no more points, for us to finish 8th Spurs would have to win all their matches or Arsenal/Burnley would have to do likewise, while overturning a GD deficit or 22 or 37.....

AND Wolves & Sheff Utd would have to win at least 2 out of 3.

5th, 6th or 7th look possible - and more likely than 3rd or 4th - but 8th would be surprising. 

If we fall so far that we miss out even on a Europa League group stage berth - and after last night’s shameful capitulation you wonder where we will get another point - I am sure the media will be joyfully bringing out all those old ‘Devon Loch’ cliches.

And who could blame them?

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

lol

Normally, I try to be optimistic and in reality all of the above probably won't happen. I'm massively deflated after last night, in a couple of days I might regain a bit of hope. At present my glass isn't even half empty, my glass is missing :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is exactly the sort of thread that makes last night such a calamity.

If we'd have won last night, would we have to worry about Spurs? Nope. Would we have to worry about Sheffield United? Not nearly as much. Would we have a Europa League spot to fall back on at the very least? Most likely. Deary me Leicester. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

He said probably not definitely.. and it's definitely probable. We're missing Ricky, Chilly, Madders, Cags and general confidence for the last 3 games, against teams with plenty to play for. 

As per my reply to FIF, I'd agree that it's possible we could finish 8th, but probable is a stretch - us lose all 3 AND Spurs win all 3 AND Wolves & Sheff Utd win at least 2? Possible, not probable.....matter of opinion, of course.

Anyway, it's mathematically certain that we'll be in contention for European qualification on the last day, even if we lose 23-0 to the Blades and 77-0 to Spurs. :D

One game at a time.... last night was horrific, a car crash, some of the worst football I've ever seen but the beauty is, we dust ourselves down and go again. 

Champions league feels unlikely right now but it's still in our hands with 3 to play. 

If last night doesn't give the team a rocket up the arse, nothing will.

21 minutes ago, Stadt said:

There’s a chance we finish 8th. We’ve got Spurs and Sheff United to play and their fixtures are very winnable games. I can’t see us winning or drawing any of our remaining games 

Spurs have to go to Newcastle and Palace - and have only won 3 out of 17 away all season....

For us to finish 8th, Wolves would also have to go past us - and would have to win at either Chelsea or Burnley.

:whistle:

2 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

One game at a time.... last night was horrific, a car crash, some of the worst football I've ever seen but the beauty is, we dust ourselves down and go again. 

Champions league feels unlikely right now but it's still in our hands with 3 to play. 

If last night doesn't give the team a rocket up the arse, nothing will.

It isn’t in our hands though is it?

29 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Spurs have to go to Newcastle and Palace - and have only won 3 out of 17 away all season....

For us to finish 8th, Wolves would also have to go past us - and would have to win at either Chelsea or Burnley.

:whistle:

I hadn’t really factored in goal difference but the fact we play Sheffield United and Spurs is what had me thinking it. We’ll only take 0-3 points in total imo so we’re lucky we’re running out of games for other sides to catch up