Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Qualification for Champions' League & Europa League

42 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Spurs have to go to Newcastle and Palace - and have only won 3 out of 17 away all season....

For us to finish 8th, Wolves would also have to go past us - and would have to win at either Chelsea or Burnley.

:whistle:

Before last night Alf would you have said that it is more likely we'd ship 4 goals to Bournemouth in the last 25 minutes after leading or that Spurs could beat Newcastle and Palace.

Having watched Newc and Palace this weekend they both looked imminently beatable.

Wolves to beat Chelsea or Burnley is more likely than not. They could also win the Europa league.

I'm normally an upbeat, we are Leicester type of guy  but this is the longest post match depression I've ever had.

Last night, on top of recent form, was devastating.

13 minutes ago, FIF said:

Before last night Alf would you have said that it is more likely we'd ship 4 goals to Bournemouth in the last 25 minutes after leading or that Spurs could beat Newcastle and Palace.

Having watched Newc and Palace this weekend they both looked imminently beatable.

Wolves to beat Chelsea or Burnley is more likely than not. They could also win the Europa league.

I'm normally an upbeat, we are Leicester type of guy  but this is the longest post match depression I've ever had.

Last night, on top of recent form, was devastating.

Obviously, Spurs could beat Newcastle and Palace (and us). I wouldn't have anticipated last night's dispiriting debacle, though a defeat wouldn't have been a complete surprise as we've been flaky for months (though better v. Palace & Arse).

But in addition to their poor away record, Spurs haven't won 3 PL games in a row all season....and for us to finish 8th would also require us to lose all 3 (possible, but by no means inevitable) and Sheff. Utd & Wolves to get 6 & 5pts, respectively, from 3 matches (also possible but far from inevitable). Chelsea & Burnley away are not easy for Wolves - they'll do well to win one or draw both.

Not an impossible combination of events, but highly unlikely.......I bet the bookies would give you long odds on Leicester finishing 8th or lower.

Anyway, I'm stuck in a Leicester lockdown, haven't seen any friends/family (daughter apart) for 4 months, workflow has fallen off a cliff and there's various other real life crap.....so I prefer to have a bit of (realistic) hope, thanks! 

I think it's now highly unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll get CL, but highly likely that we'll get Europa League. If I had to guess, I'd forecast us to get at least 1 result out of the 3 remaining matches (Rodgers might be in trouble if we fold badly in the next 3) and to finish about 6th. Wolves might win the Europa League, but Arsenal probably won't win the FA Cup, so 6th - possibly even 7th - would get us into EL.....not where we hoped to be, but a consolation prize & chance to regroup..... If so, let's hope BR uses the time well to address the thinking within the camp (his own and his players) and maybe brings in 1-2 stronger characters. Big job for the experienced pros (Wes, Evans, Kasper, Fuchs) to do before the next match, too, to rebuild morale.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Anyway, I'm stuck in a Leicester lockdown, haven't seen any friends/family (daughter apart) for 4 months, workflow has fallen off a cliff and there's various other real life crap.....so I prefer to have a bit of (realistic) hope, thanks! 

Same here, although I'm into month 7 without seeing a solitary family member or friend, although staying overnight is now permitted so a visit becomes an option, Leicester is in lockdown still so it's not.

the return of football was supposed to bring me a little bit of joy, the only option of any joy away from the general life crap....and the team have failed massively to read the memo!

I'm fully with the sensible, objective a lot has to conspire against us in others results to finish 8th but manor of last nights capitulation is much worse than the fact we lost. A wasted opportunity, which makes me sad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Same here, although I'm into month 7 without seeing a solitary family member or friend, although staying overnight is now permitted so a visit becomes an option, Leicester is in lockdown still so it's not.

the return of football was supposed to bring me a little bit of joy, the only option of any joy away from the general life crap....and the team have failed massively to read the memo!

I'm fully with the sensible, objective a lot has to conspire against us in others results to finish 8th but manor of last nights capitulation is much worse than the fact we lost. A wasted opportunity, which makes me sad.

Solidarity! I'm not sure that I could take 6-7 months.....hopefully won't have to.

Don't disagree with anything you say about the depressing nature and potential implications of last night's debacle. I suppose we each have to react to adversity in the way that comes natural to us.

My way of dealing with an emotionally volatile nature has long been to be ultra-rational. So, I'm quickly at the stage of thinking: yesterday was a debacle; full implications as yet unknown; probably ends CL hopes (but not definitely); will probably still make EL (but not definitely)....and the future is unwritten. Life goes on from where we are, not where we might have been....

Can't say I'm confident that there'll be a big reaction to last night. But there ought to be - and there might be. Wouldn't be a complete surprise if we came out and battled to a result v. Sheff Utd. 

Here's hoping that happens - and that the lockdown ends (for now, at least).

It's normally 3 - 4 months between visits but the last get together was Dec 2019, can't see a trip before September in all honesty. Since the demise of Flybe, I've no scheduled flights as they covered East Mids and B'ham, which is also an issue. At least friends and familiy are to date, well enough, so grateful for that.

I'm actually feeling the malaise lift due to your positivity there Alf. Hopefully, we see a reaction on Thursday. I'm not confident but edging to hopeful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue Collar said:

On present form

3.Man U on 68 pts, 4.LCFC, Wolves on 64 pts.

LCFC in CL on overall GD.

Chelsea will not finish 6th I don’t think. They have every chance of boosting their goal difference with Norwich tomorrow night. Best case scenario is they end up on 64 also. The biggest miracle would be us getting 5pts out of the next 3 on current form. Let’s hope yesterday really was a wake up call 

Form, luck, tactics, injuries, covid-19 lockdown, missing fans did I miss anything?

we lack mental resolve and game management and that is why we are where we are folks.

yesterday just epitomized all that has been wrong about our season. I have very little confidence left in this team now. We’re a lame duck and the sharks are circling waiting to finish us off.

They should make leicester city the new dictionary definition of the word: SPECTACULAR

’a football team that goes from spectacularly good to spectacularly bad in a season’

I think the judgement that Europa League is a curse on legs etc will not ring true next season due to change in the calendar. There will be no League Cup games for starters. The first half of the PL season is likely to be light on midweek fixtures to get the European fixtures done. 

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

There’s a chance we finish 8th. We’ve got Spurs and Sheff United to play and their fixtures are very winnable games. I can’t see us winning or drawing any of our remaining games 

Our saving grace in that situation might be Wolves playing away to Burnley and Chelsea and losing both.

We need to draw one of the next two minimum to get into the Europa League, preferably at least 6th as I don't want to go through the qualifiers (although a trip to the Faroe Islands in a few weeks might make the squad and staff realise what an amazing opportunity they've wasted and what might've been).

Might as well get used to this :ph34r:

Not sure what stage we'll enter but if we finish 6th (a distinct possibility), we enter at the 2nd qualifying round, which scheduled to start on 17th September:

4 domestic league sixth-placed teams from associations 1–4 (League Cup winners for England*) 

If we finish 5th it's straight in to the group stage: 

4 domestic league fifth-placed teams from associations 1–4

Teams already qualified include Napoli, PSV amongst several others from minor nations. 

Rangers, Motherwell, Aberdeen lined up from Scotland following the stopping of their season. Not Rangers if they win it this season. 

Not the European Tour we wanted, but maybe the one we need?! Our squad needs some rapid improvements though to manage the extra games. 

*Man City won the League Cup so obviously that doesn't apply. 

(fully aware we could finish out of European spots but hoping to have some positivity after last night's sham!) 

• Like 1

Should be good fun. It won't help us progress as a club as much as the Champions League would but it's still European football. When we inevitably miss out on CL it'll feel like a massive comedown but I'm sure it'll be more than decent if we can get a proper run going in the tournament

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Chelsea will not finish 6th I don’t think. They have every chance of boosting their goal difference with Norwich tomorrow night. Best case scenario is they end up on 64 also. The biggest miracle would be us getting 5pts out of the next 3 on current form. Let’s hope yesterday really was a wake up call 

Now it's all about how Lampard and Rodgers will react and whether their fairy wands will awaken some players (I would go for a baseball bat if I were BR). But I still believe Lampard has a harder task as half of the 1st teamers are discovering the top level and the end of season pressure, and calamities Rudiger/Kepa are at it again. Their last game reminded me of the thumping they got in OT.

If we didn't have to play on Thursdays I'd much prefer this to champions League. That and the financial gain the club receives from champions League qualification. 

We'd have a very tough group, no top seed this time. Europa League has more interesting grounds and cities to visit, bigger away allocations meaning fans like me might have a chance of the odd ticket, half a chance of winning it, steady progress as a club rather jumping straight to champions League etc.

Yes I'm just trying to make me feel better :(

• Like 2

Are we still going to sing

"we're all going on  a European tour..Dilly ding..dilly dong"

Someone will have to come up with words to..."On Thursday nights ...under the lights..."

It won't feel the same as it did.:unsure:

It's not a guarantee for Europa League, No Soyuncu or Ricardo for the rest of season. One of Bennett or Morgan will have to start. We have 3 very tough games remaining. Can easily see us picking up only 1-3 points in total in the remaining games. Wolves and Sheff United win 2 out of 3 and will go above us.