Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Religion

On 21/07/2020 at 19:25, RumbleFox said:

I suppose you could say I am a nihilist in grand spiritual terms, ie there is no inherent “meaning” to life. But I take joy in life and do not find it meaningless on a personal level. I am the product of millions of years of evolution, made from exploded stars. My genes have been passed on to my daughter and if she had children they will continue. Those that know me will mourn me when I’m gone and maybe I have made the world a better place in my own little way. Of the trillions of possible lives that could have been made I was lucky enough to be born, if you find all that meaningless that is up to you but I find that quite a depressing worldview. Moreover, just because you “don’t feel any good argument has been made” doesn’t mean none have. I don’t think any good arguments have been made for God’s  existence but that doesn’t mean I’m right. X 

Have you ever read "Evolution" by Stephen Baxter @RumbleFox ?(this is off topic from religion) - it tells the story of a long line of genes from the first mammals at the time of the extinction of the dinosaurs, right through to present day and into the far far future. It is a novel, primarily but it is certainly very thought provoking. 

Edited by stripeyfox

On 20/07/2020 at 12:24, Ollie93 said:

Because, like I said, the majority of it is a story. 

I don't know too much about the contents of the bible, however, one man feeding 5000 people with just a fish and a loaf of bread? Tell me why people are starving if this is achievable?

If only David icke could perform a magic trick or 2,

then I could take his son of God claim as legitimate and gospel. 

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Just to say, more people have been killed over the centuries in religious wars than any other conflicts. What does that tell you?

Not true, more people have died post enlightenment than all the others combined. Last century was the bloodiest of all time, in a century where secular thought dismantled governments built in faith in God. 

You can say what you like about governments and religions being separated but what you cannot say is that it makes the world a less violent place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WRT the recent discussion, I don't really see a lot of difference in the nature of the conflict in the last century to that which came before it. The various authoritarian governments of the 20th Century just replaced the idea of a god (sometimes) with human constructs (a cynic might even say that religion is entirely a human construct anyway, just an old one, but that's another discussion). The idea of the absolute infallibility of the word of "X entity" and therefore "convert or die" is still very much there. So, a god, or a man (or group of people) who think he/they are one - they just took the ideas that religions had used for control in the past and applied it a bit differently.

It's that attitude of seeking power over others that is the real issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/07/2020 at 21:43, worthosoriginals said:

That the humans that have created the 3000 gods in their own minds disagree with each other violently 

It does seem that every culture that I can think of has created it's own gods.  Perhaps because, as a species, we seek to explain the world around us and when we cannot we attribute things from creation to the weather to some higher power.

Or, would a religious person attribute it to some kind of inherent homing instinct within us all, to return to God?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, murphy said:

It does seem that every culture that I can think of has created it's own gods.  Perhaps because, as a species, we seek to explain the world around us and when we cannot we attribute things from creation to the weather to some higher power.

Or, would a religious person attribute it to some kind of inherent homing instinct within us all, to return to God?

My view on this is from Romans 1 20 

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

If we are without excuse at judgment we either have received the gospel and rejected it or we have not yet received it but will before judgement. 

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Well it is Sunday, Gods day off :whistle:

If its his day off, why is Sunday you all rock up to church to worship him? Surely he's not listening on a Sunday morning, he's got his feet up with a cuppa watching Marr.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If its his day off, why is Sunday you all rock up to church to worship him? Surely he's not listening on a Sunday morning, he's got his feet up with a cuppa watching Marr.

I think he prefers Sophy Ridge on Sky :thumbup:

On 26/07/2020 at 22:45, Benguin said:

My view on this is from Romans 1 20 

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

If we are without excuse at judgment we either have received the gospel and rejected it or we have not yet received it but will before judgement. 

I don't geddit.

How does that explain why humankind has created 3,000 gods?

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't geddit.

How does that explain why humankind has created 3,000 gods?

It explains your second point. 

I believe we are drawn intuitively to a creator because God wants to have a relationship with us. We can of course reject this though. 

On 25/07/2020 at 19:35, Parafox said:

Just to say, more people have been killed over the centuries in religious wars than any other conflicts. What does that tell you?

Even in the worst of times, I think those that were religious would find any excuse to try and justify there actions.  Look at Genghis Khan, he wasn't interested in propagating his religion and took over most of the world, just because he wants to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2020 at 21:46, murphy said:

Do animals create God's in their own minds? 

Humans are a rare species that are aware death is 

Coming in the future for sure, so did we create the ideas of Gods and after lives as a sort of comfort?

That's its not a case of totally game over. 

My opinion is that's the case but it looks most likely that how we were before the billions of years before birth, that nothingness looks likely what we shall return to. 

Superstition, folklore etc doesnt sway me away from that thinking, unless I see some evidence rather than what I regard as  passed down claptrap from a couple of thousand years ago invented by humans. 

Why have these gods or God laid dormant and indifferent since that era? Could it just possibly be 

Olden days nonsense? 

If they are real why don't they show up properly rather than appear as a pattern in a bit of toast occasionally?