Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Kapustka to Legia Warsaw?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-winger-given-lifeline-4351763

Leicester City winger given lifeline by owner of Champions League club
Polish winger Bartosz Kapustka has said he wants to leave Leicester City this summer after making just three senior appearances in four years at the King Power Stadium

ByJordan Blackwell
10:20, 22 JUL 2020UPDATED10:23, 22 JUL 2020

Bartosz Kapustka has been offered a route out of Leicester City by Polish champions Legia Warsaw.

Out-of-favour Kapustka has his sights set on an exit from the King Power Stadium this summer after just three senior appearances in four years for the club.

The winger, who has one year left on his deal at the club, has failed to live up to the hype surrounding his performances as a teenager at Euro 2016. Now, the owner of Legia Warsaw has said he will take Kapustka back to his homeland so he can rebuild his career.

Legia owner Dariusz Mioduski said: “He still has a one-year contract with Leicester. Bartek is a perfect example of a footballer who should have played in Legia at least a year ago. If he wants to rebuild with us, we invite him.”

If Kapustka was to leave for Legia, he would be earning himself a place in the Champions League, albeit the Polish title-holders have to come through four rounds of qualifying to make the group stages.

Kapustka, now 23, is not in City’s 25-man Premier League squad but has been training with the first team since the restart.

Speaking in May, he made his intentions clear.

“The club knows that I want to play football regularly,” Kapustka told Canal+. “I would like to leave in the summer 100 per cent.

“I like this club very much despite the fact that it did not go the way I planned, but I definitely want to leave this place and loans are out of the question. I think the club would not like to loan in this situation because I only have a year left on the contract.

“It is known that nothing is ever certain in life, but it is very likely that I will leave the club in the summer.”

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Wish him the best - was too early for him and the wrong move.

Probably would've had a better chance of working out if he went out loan the season we got him rather than sat in our reserves and then to on loan to a club that would've actually played him unlike Freiburg (should've at least recalled him in the January and sent him elsewhere)

Basically had 2 seasons of his career wasted because of poor decision making by the club really

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t get how he didn’t play hardly any games in 16-17 considering how shit everyone else was for 6 months of the season. 

He is that shit, and I recon a Wes Morgan fart would have snapped him in half.

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Chilwell, Barnes, Hamza, Thomas.

Also you could probably add in Schlupp who might not be the most highly rated on here but we did sell him for 19 million!

Not many clubs (probably none, can't be arsed to look up) with that amount of academy player appreances in the first team in the last 5 years. 

This place does my head in sometimes so much whining and negativity about every little thing. When in reality our academy had been one of the better ones in the country. 

Unless we start playing 100 a side a huge percentage of academy won't end up in the starting 11 or 25 man squad that is simple maths not 'the academy way' 

I'm sorry for doing your head in, I'm simply stating an area of concern in our team, not "being negative" 

This has nothing to do with the academy in general and more to do with the pathway from academy to first team. 

You mention 4 players, 2 of which are starters, 1 3rd/4th choice CM, and a LB who would be no closer to the 1st team were it not for injuries.

Now onto the academy. We finished 2nd in PL2, we have the 2nd highest average age ahead of only Stoke in the league and we've used the fewest players (25) by a GOOD margin.

I can think of 5 players from our academy that ply their trade in top leagues (Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury, Schlupp, Gradel) and a further 4 in the 2nd tiers (Moore, Stearman, Tomlin, Clucas) you can probably add King to that list too, although he didn't come up through our system.

Having a solid enough youth team is vital when it comes to competing in Europe, as players U21 do not need to be registered domestically or in Europe, allowing for a larger squad. Our youth system (recruitment/coaching/graduating) is definitely not one of the better ones, it's barely even average. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I'm sorry for doing your head in, I'm simply stating an area of concern in our team, not "being negative" 

This has nothing to do with the academy in general and more to do with the pathway from academy to first team. 

You mention 4 players, 2 of which are starters, 1 3rd/4th choice CM, and a LB who would be no closer to the 1st team were it not for injuries.

Now onto the academy. We finished 2nd in PL2, we have the 2nd highest average age ahead of only Stoke in the league and we've used the fewest players (25) by a GOOD margin.

I can think of 5 players from our academy that ply their trade in top leagues (Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury, Schlupp, Gradel) and a further 4 in the 2nd tiers (Moore, Stearman, Tomlin, Clucas) you can probably add King to that list too, although he didn't come up through our system.

Having a solid enough youth team is vital when it comes to competing in Europe, as players U21 do not need to be registered domestically or in Europe, allowing for a larger squad. Our youth system (recruitment/coaching/graduating) is definitely not one of the better ones, it's barely even average. 

Fair enough judging from your post it's clearly not blind negativity and you are knowledgeable on the subject.

Out of interest I know it might be a Slightly narrow way to judge an academys success but academy appreances in the first team seems to be the most tangible metric for success and since we have been in the Premier league this time we have given 300 first team appearances to academy players. Which other teams will have come near that? 

I liked the idea behind Kapustka when we brought him in. He was highly rated, had some electric performance at the Euro's for Poland and was tipped for a big future. He was worth a punt. It hasn't worked out for him though and if we could cut our losses on a mutually beneficial departure this summer then it makes sense. Hopefully we can recoup some sort of fee and he gets his career back on track.

6 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Fair enough judging from your post it's clearly not blind negativity and you are knowledgeable on the subject.

Out of interest I know it might be a Slightly narrow way to judge an academys success but academy appreances in the first team seems to be the most tangible metric for success and since we have been in the Premier league this time we have given 300 first team appearances to academy players. Which other teams will have come near that? 

Without looking anything up and at the risk of contradicting my original point, I'd say we stand quite high in that regard. But if you expand slightly on that, to academy graduates making apps for ANY top tier clubs, then I bet we don't fair so well. Again, I haven't looked any of this up.

Now looking at our U23's and the forthcoming registration rules, anybody born before 01/01/1999 must be registered to play in the Premier League, so academy players:

Daniel Iverson

Sam Hughes

KDH

Josh Eppiah

George Hirst

Leyton Ndukwu

Darnell Johnson

Admiral Muskwe

Will all have to be registered, sold, or sit stagnant in the academy for another year. Almost all of those players have been touted on here at some point yet have seen close to no opportunity. Is that due to a lack of a pathway to the first team or do we continually fail to develop players?

To move onto the other end of the spectrum, Man City U23s used 35 players with an average age under 18, Southampton used 45 at an average age of under 19. Both these teams teach club philosophy right through their youth system, they teach them to play the way the 1st team plays. They both finished bottom half of the PL2 table, but the bigger picture is the goal.

Man City don't bring through many players, granted. But they regularly recruit, develop, and sell first team quality players with the buying club knowing they've had the best tuition out there, generating money for the club. 

Our academy is unfortunately full of stagnant staff, training stagnant players who have aspirations of joining clubs in League 1. That's nothing against any young player just trying to earn a living, but the club must match the ambition of the academy with the ambition of the first team. But the rapid rise of the club has left it behind somewhat. 

I'm not a doom merchant by any shot, I like to consider myself fairly balanced. There are definitely far worse academies out there, but we are mixing with the elite (or sub elite) and that is 1 area we lag behind all other clubs in that pool. 

I'm sure the training complex is the start of the improvement.

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Without looking anything up and at the risk of contradicting my original point, I'd say we stand quite high in that regard. But if you expand slightly on that, to academy graduates making apps for ANY top tier clubs, then I bet we don't fair so well. Again, I haven't looked any of this up.

Now looking at our U23's and the forthcoming registration rules, anybody born before 01/01/1999 must be registered to play in the Premier League, so academy players:

Daniel Iverson

Sam Hughes

KDH

Josh Eppiah

George Hirst

Leyton Ndukwu

Darnell Johnson

Admiral Muskwe

Will all have to be registered, sold, or sit stagnant in the academy for another year. Almost all of those players have been touted on here at some point yet have seen close to no opportunity. Is that due to a lack of a pathway to the first team or do we continually fail to develop players?

To move onto the other end of the spectrum, Man City U23s used 35 players with an average age under 18, Southampton used 45 at an average age of under 19. Both these teams teach club philosophy right through their youth system, they teach them to play the way the 1st team plays. They both finished bottom half of the PL2 table, but the bigger picture is the goal.

Man City don't bring through many players, granted. But they regularly recruit, develop, and sell first team quality players with the buying club knowing they've had the best tuition out there, generating money for the club. 

Our academy is unfortunately full of stagnant staff, training stagnant players who have aspirations of joining clubs in League 1. That's nothing against any young player just trying to earn a living, but the club must match the ambition of the academy with the ambition of the first team. But the rapid rise of the club has left it behind somewhat. 

I'm not a doom merchant by any shot, I like to consider myself fairly balanced. There are definitely far worse academies out there, but we are mixing with the elite (or sub elite) and that is 1 area we lag behind all other clubs in that pool. 

Imo a few of our youth players are good enough for the step up such as darnell johnson and KDH and ughelumba who's already left for playing time. I just think we've taken a step backwards with rodgers in terms of our academy, was a league cup semi final really worth burning out our first team players and if we had given some of the youth players more first team playing time we might have more viable defensive depth than we have now. It was one thing that i thought Puel did really well, bringing chilwell and choudhury into the first team and calling barnes back from the loan to give him a chance as well. Meanwhile rodgers has given a pointless loan to KDH in league 1, would rather play morgan/fuchs than give ughelumba first team experience in the league cup, choudhury has hardly gotten any minutes at DM and would rather sign bennett than give Darnell Johnson an opportunity as well.

Edited by honeybradger

10 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Imo a few of our youth players are good enough for the step up such as darnell johnson and KDH and ughelumba who's already left for playing time. I just think we've taken a step backwards with rodgers in terms of our academy, was a league cup semi final really worth burning out our first team players and if we had given some of the youth players more first team playing time we might have more viable defensive depth than we have now. It was one thing that i thought Puel did really well, bringing chilwell and choudhury into the first team and calling barnes back from the loan to give him a chance as well. Meanwhile rodgers has given a pointless loan to KDH in league 1, would rather play morgan/fuchs than give ughelumba first team experience in the league cup, choudhury has hardly gotten any minutes at DM and would rather sign bennett than give Darnell Johnson an opportunity as well.

Have to agree here, they aren't going to set the world alight but in terms of squad players they will save you millions, whilst increasing their value down the line if we were to sell. The ship has sailed on these players though as they'd now have to take a space in the 23 man squad, decreasing their likelihood of opportunity. 

How many millions has bringing Chilwell through saved us? As opposed to buying a player in? Choudhury as a squad option, getting Barnes back that January?

Was Chilwell any further along in his development than Johnson at the same age, we can only speculate. But Chilwell is being valued at £60m with Johnson likely leaving for 6 figures if we're lucky.

Its hard to see if the problem is opportunity or quality (I think it's the latter) but the ability to make (and save) money through a good youth system would help no end down the line. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, January47 said:

I’ve watched the u23s a few times on the  LCFC channel and there,s no way Darnell Johnson will ever be a premier league quality player. The ones who may have a chance include kdh and knight.

Agree to disagree, him and ughelumba have put in some quality performances as a centre back pairing this year, some poor performances as well but i think they would have saved us millions as depth options, ughelumba imo was already at a similar level to bennet and has more potential.

17 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Daniel Iverson

Sam Hughes

KDH

Josh Eppiah

George Hirst

Leyton Ndukwu

Darnell Johnson

Admiral Muskwe

Yes agreed I'm sure showing top talent round Belvoir drive is a tough sell in this day and age. I agree Southampton have bought a lot of quality young players through in the last 10/15 years but I don't belive man City are some kind of yard stick to be held up too. 

1.  There is virtually zero pathway to the first team even if you have fodens talent. 

2. They are the richest club (country) in the world and completely hoover up talent. 

3. There practices at academy level are murky as fook, weren't they banned from signing academy players recently?

On 23/07/2020 at 09:39, wardyfox86 said:

Just proves the Youth Coaching staff are crap,we have had more mishits and total washouts,for a Club oursize...either from Academy or invested outside youth.