Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

8 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

A nickname should be unique in my opinion. Foxes is Leicester's name.

The Beerkegs? The Stellas? The Lions? The Ladyboys? King Power & The Immaculate Machine? ... Yeah, I probably shouldn't come up with more suggestions :sweating:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KingsX said:

What were the nicknames of the clubs that merged?  Is the issue trying to avoid using one while dropping the others?

Google returned this, it would certainly be unique and colorful.

Leuven: The Cow-shooters

No, the Leuven residents did not shoot cows from their catapults. It would have made a hilarious piece of history, but the truth is a bit more credible. During a French siege in 1619, the nervous Leuven residents saw movements outside the city gates at night. Believing the movements to be French soldiers, the city opened fire. At dawn, their terrible enemy turned out to be a pack of harmless cows. Ever since, the Leuven residents are named the Koeienschieters, the cow-shooters.

The merger included Oud-Heverlee, Stade Leuven and Daring Leuven.

Oud-Heverlee were called 'the black devils" but I don't think Stade Leuven or Daring Leuven really had nicknames. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bonanza said:

Oud-Heverlee were called 'the black devils" but I don't think Stade Leuven or Daring Leuven really had nicknames. 

I've got it! The Daring Buddhas! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Thanks for this. I had no idea.

Did all three sets of supporters generally accept and follow OHL; or were there any breakaways and phoenix clubs?

I do plan to get over some day for a match. I suppose now that's a bit of a pipedream until times are on the whole better. 

43 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Thanks for this. I had no idea.

Did all three sets of supporters generally accept and follow OHL; or were there any breakaways and phoenix clubs?

I do plan to get over some day for a match. I suppose now that's a bit of a pipedream until times are on the whole better. 

As I recall, the merger was accepted by most of the fans, although some of them did turn their back to OHL and never returned. They did a great job to insure all 3 clubs  were involved in the merger: naming the club Oud-Heverlee Leuven instead of Leuven United or Leuven City,  the team colors for the 3 clubs are still around: black and white for Oud-Heverlee, green and white for Stade Leuven and red and white for Daring Leuven.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonanza said:

As I recall, the merger was accepted by most of the fans, although some of them did turn their back to OHL and never returned. They did a great job to insure all 3 clubs  were involved in the merger: naming the club Oud-Heverlee Leuven instead of Leuven United or Leuven City,  the team colors for the 3 clubs are still around: black and white for Oud-Heverlee, green and white for Stade Leuven and red and white for Daring Leuven.

Very interesting. Thanks for humouring me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

In January a reporter said they signed a player who had similar dribbling success to Messi... hows this guy getting on? 

Is that the guy that came from Canada? Tristan Borges?

I managed to find this on him through Twitter, been binned off it seems

Edited by moore_94

42 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

In January a reporter said they signed a player who had similar dribbling success to Messi... hows this guy getting on? 

We signed 4 players in the January transferwindow.

Jan Van den Bergh came in on loan from Gent and now plays for Beerschot.

The other 3 players, Stallone Limbombe, Yohan Croizet and Tristan Borges were told to leave the club this summer, but refused. They're not allowed to train with the first team, but have to train in our youth center with 4 other first team rejects. The club hopes to get rid of them in January.

Edited by Bonanza

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Is that the guy that came from Canada? Tristan Borges?

I managed to find this on him through Twitter, been binned off it seems

2 hours ago, Bonanza said:

We signed 4 players in the January transferwindow.

Jan Van den Bergh came in on loan from Gent and now plays for Beerschot.

The other 3 players, Stallone Limbombe, Yohan Croizet and Tristan Borges were told to leave the club this summer, but refused. They're not allowed to train with the first team, but have to train in our youth center with 4 other first team rejects. The club hopes to get rid of them in January.

Sorry this wasn’t in January, my heads gone with the covid time changes lol

this guy... 

50 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Sorry this wasn’t in January, my heads gone with the covid time changes lol

this guy... 

Our Jordanian Messi lollol

To be fair, the guy has potential but still needs time to adjust to Belgian football.

His biggest problem at the moment is that he's too eager to prove himself to the coach, his teammates, the OHL fans and his many many countrymen. He just needs to focus on his tasks and let the game come to him, but he tries to force thing too much.

I quite sure he'll be a valuable asset to our team in a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Our game against Moeskroen will be postponed to a later date, since Moeskroen has 7 players who have tested positive for COVID-19. Their  last 2 games (against Cercle Brugge and STVV) were also postponed. Moeskroen's last competitive game was on October 18th (lost against KAS Eupen)

22 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Daring Leuven, love that name!

It seems quite obvious to me that the nickname should be the daredevils... 

• Like 2

On 05/11/2020 at 17:19, KingsX said:

Leuven: The Cow-shooters

No, the Leuven residents did not shoot cows from their catapults. It would have made a hilarious piece of history, but the truth is a bit more credible. During a French siege in 1619, the nervous Leuven residents saw movements outside the city gates at night. Believing the movements to be French soldiers, the city opened fire. At dawn, their terrible enemy turned out to be a pack of harmless cows. Ever since, the Leuven residents are named the Koeienschieters, the cow-shooters.

This is why the logo of OHL's independent forum features a dead cow with a viking helmet. The cow refers to this story, the viking helmet refers to the battle against the vikings (which Leuven won) and stopped vikings from further infiltrating the land.

12841311_102344286828296_471529640827578

On 28/10/2020 at 21:17, Betelgeuze said:

Sweet Caroline goes around quite a bit longer then 9 years if I remember correctly 😉

Something else: I actually have a question for the Leicester fans. I always wondered how people in the UK rate the Belgian Pro League? What do you think of the strenght of our top teams? 

It certainly wasn't during Brepoels, Cossey, Vandevelde  or Wuyts... And i don't even think it was the tune during Ronny's first year in 2nd div, so i think you are not remembering correctly to be honest.

EDIT: here a game from 2010, no Sweet Caroline before the match, no Sweet Caroline after a goal:

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 3

Results and standings after week 12:

KV Mechelen 3-3 Charleroi
KV Kortrijk 5-5 Beerschot
KAS Eupen 1-1 Waasland-Beveren
OH Leuven PP Excel Moeskroen
STVV 1-2 KRC Genk
Antwerp 1-1 Standard
KV Oostende 1-3 Club Brugge
KAA Gent 1-1 Anderlecht
Cercle Brugge 1-3 Zulte Waregem

P   TEAM PTS GP W L D GF GA GD
1   Club Brugge  23 12 7 3 2 28 11 17
2   Charleroi  23 11 7 2 2 21 10 11
3   Beerschot  22 12 7 4 1 33 30 3
4   KRC Genk  22 12 6 2 4 22 16 6
5   Standard  22 12 6 2 4 15 10 5
6   Antwerp  21 12 6 3 3 22 16 6
7   Anderlecht  21 12 5 1 6 22 16 6
8   OH Leuven  18 11 5 3 3 19 19 0
9   KV Kortrijk  16 12 4 4 4 18 19 -1
10   Cercle Brugge  15 11 5 6 0 17 18 -1
11   KV Oostende  15 11 4 4 3 16 12 4
12   KAA Gent  13 12 4 7 1 20 20 0
13   KAS Eupen  12 11 2 3 6 11 17 -6
14   Zulte Waregem  11 12 3 7 2 15 26 -11
15   KV Mechelen  9 11 2 6 3 15 21 -6
16   STVV  9 11 2 6 3 12 21 -9
17   Waasland-Beveren  5 10 1 7 2 14 27 -13
18   Excel Moeskroen  3 9 0 6 3 3 14 -11

Fixtures for week 13:

Standard - KAS Eupen
KV Oostende - Antwerp
Waasland-Beveren - Cercle Brugge
Club Brugge - KV Kortrijk
Beerschot - Anderlecht
Zulte Waregem - KV Mechelen
Charleroi - KAA Gent
KRC Genk - Excel Moeskroen
OH Leuven - STVV

On 05/11/2020 at 17:44, Lambert09 said:

Im afraid that reporter's quote was lost in translation. They did indeed sign a player with a messy dribbling success rate.

• Haha 2

On 05/11/2020 at 17:35, shen said:

The Beerkegs? The Stellas? The Lions? The Ladyboys? King Power & The Immaculate Machine? ... Yeah, I probably shouldn't come up with more suggestions :sweating:

I've seen supporters of other teams call us the Ladyboys, since King Power bought us.

Commentators have tried with "Stella-boys" and "university-boys". Didn't really catch on.

• Haha 2

On 08/11/2020 at 19:24, Lizhang said:

This is why the logo of OHL's independent forum features a dead cow with a viking helmet. The cow refers to this story, the viking helmet refers to the battle against the vikings (which Leuven won) and stopped vikings from further infiltrating the land.

12841311_102344286828296_471529640827578

That's a pretty cool logo! lol

• Like 1