Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

Just now, Bonanza said:

Busy schedule for our boys this month:

Sat 12/5 OHL - Cercle Brugge

Tue 12/8 OHL - Excel Moeskroen

Sat 12/12 KV Kortrijk - OHL

Tue 12/15 Excel Moeskroen - OHL

Sat 12/20 OHL - KV Mechelen

Sat 12/26 OHL - KV Oostende

If we can get some good results from these games we should be safe from relegation.

I thought we were the only country to play on boxing day? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

Strange to give the manager a new four year contract on the back of some poor form? I don't know alot about Belgium football but his career to date suggests he never lasts more than 18 mouths at a club.

poor form? They are smashing it this season, first year in the top flight and sitting mid table. 

• Like 3

Unlucky Mercier. Went so close three times. He's a pretty tidy footballer and Henry is also better than I gave him credit for. But dear oh dear, the defense is non-existant at times. Left back issue highlighted again and the space the opposition finds at the back post as well as just outside the box is worrying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

Strange to give the manager a new four year contract on the back of some poor form? I don't know alot about Belgium football but his career to date suggests he never lasts more than 18 mouths at a club.

New contract is more likely off the back of him turning down the Genk job

I also wouldn't say winning 5, drawing 2, and losing 3 of the last 10 is poor form for a newly promoted side

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

New contract is more likely off the back of him turning down the Genk job

I also wouldn't say winning 5, drawing 2, and losing 3 of the last 10 is poor form for a newly promoted side

Was he actually offered it or just talk? I've seen it happen enough times, manager has a good 6 or so months and gets linked with a move, is offered a new long term deal only to be struggling for a win for the rest of his tenure. Lets see how it goes.

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Was he actually offered it or just talk? I've seen it happen enough times, manager has a good 6 or so months and gets linked with a move, is offered a new long term deal only to be struggling for a win for the rest of his tenure. Lets see how it goes.

Reports came out around the time (5th November) that he had actually held talks with Genk, but then he decided he wanted to stay at Leuven because he believes they can end up playing Champions League football in the near future

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20201105_95125092

The absolute top candidate was Marc Brys at Racing Genk to succeed Jess Thorup. He was allowed to bring his assistants and listened to the proposal. “As an individual I have my ambitions. I absolutely want the Belgian title on my record and I was charmed by Genk's proposal on Tuesday evening ”, says Brys.

A meeting with the OHL top on Wednesday convinced him to stay in Leuven. “I even spoke to the CEO of Leicester and the Vice President of King Power. This resulted in a plan that I was still too little aware of. There are even more opportunities in Leuven than I thought, the strength is enormous and I get the opportunity to contribute to that story. I prefer to play champion with OHL in a few years. ”

Since then they have only played 2 games - 2-2 draw with St.Truiden and then last nights 3-2 loss to Antwerp

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

All he needed to do was sign the papers and he would be the new manager of Genk. It was all done and dusted, but he changed his mind after talking to TOP, our CEO Peter Willems and Susan Whelan. They convinced him that our club was still a work in progress and that we will be a title contender in the next few years.

The new contract shows appreciation for his work so far and also shows that King Power really has big plans with our club.

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, shen said:

Unlucky Mercier. Went so close three times. He's a pretty tidy footballer and Henry is also better than I gave him credit for. But dear oh dear, the defense is non-existant at times. Left back issue highlighted again and the space the opposition finds at the back post as well as just outside the box is worrying.

Our defense is still our Achilles heel. The guys at the back are still the same players we had last year and to be fair they even struggled in the 2nd division.

The board has made it clear that a new central defender is the top priority during the January transfer window. They also want to sign a new striker as we don't have a suitable back-up for Thomas Henry at the moment.

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 1

it must be absolutely heart warming to see that the owners  would be willing to do what it takes for him to stay and spend the time convincing him to stay.  

As a fan i can only imagine how exciting that must make you guys feel

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Perhaps im being harsh but I think your keeper could have done better with both headers. Maybe its time to get Iverson back in 

Possibly, but he also made a number of excellent other saves. 

Either way, as stated, the real problem lies in defence where we're still working with what he had last year. Jemelka, who played his first game yesterday, didn't look too bad but I believe he still needs some time to adapt. So yeah, a new central defender would come in handy. But first, we need to cut away some of the dead wood because the squad's too big as it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KlaaZ said:

Possibly, but he also made a number of excellent other saves. 

Either way, as stated, the real problem lies in defence where we're still working with what he had last year. Jemelka, who played his first game yesterday, didn't look too bad but I believe he still needs some time to adapt. So yeah, a new central defender would come in handy. But first, we need to cut away some of the dead wood because the squad's too big as it is.

If we can get josh king to sign a new deal he would be perfect to send out to Leuven in January. 

unfortuantely it sounds like he might not want to sign a new deal with us though 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

If we can get josh king to sign a new deal he would be perfect to send out to Leuven in January. 

unfortuantely it sounds like he might not want to sign a new deal with us though 

Good, in that case he can come over on a permanent basis. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Perhaps im being harsh but I think your keeper could have done better with both headers. Maybe its time to get Iverson back in 

Clearly the decision has been made and it's Romo for OHL.

We'll have to find another club in January who need an upgrade at #1, at a level where Iversen can take that job.  He's 23 and can ill afford an entire season on the bench.

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Was he actually offered it or just talk? I've seen it happen enough times, manager has a good 6 or so months and gets linked with a move, is offered a new long term deal only to be struggling for a win for the rest of his tenure  the season. Lets see how it goes.

Uncalled for to drag Rodgers into this discussion. lol

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Its a shame about Iversen as I believe he was actually playing quite well before his injury?

Then got unlucky again that Romo has come in and also had some really good performances which have stopped Iversen from starting for Leuven again

This is indeed the case.

Iversen was very unlucky to get injured because he did very well. I'm sure Daniel will get another chance this season, but at the moment Romo is doing great, so there's no reason to bench him.

On 01/12/2020 at 08:26, Webbo said:

I thought we were the only country to play on boxing day? 

Belgium introduced it about ten years ago and kept it. Turkey do. Netherlands tried one year. Italy have tried it as well. 

Apparently a lot of European countries look enviously that feast of football on 26th and how we also dominate the television coverage across the continent. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I think you mean Josh Knight. Pretty sure Josh King would be a terrible defender, but useful up front! :D

• Haha 1