Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

28 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Welcome to the Thunderdome. Dems screw the Repubs, Repubs screw the Dems and on it goes. Nothing ever gets done for the rest of us. Talk is cheap.

...is there a point regarding a possible solution to the problem here (that won't leave masses of bodies on the floor) or is it just cynicism for it's own sake? (That would be an understandable response given the situation, though.)

30 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Welcome to the Thunderdome. Dems screw the Repubs, Repubs screw the Dems and on it goes. Nothing ever gets done for the rest of us. Talk is cheap.

There's that false equivalency again, or do you honestly believe the Dems have done anything remotely comparable to inciting and supporting an attempt to otherthrow your democracy?  Politicians will always be self serving but for years the GOP have been allowed to get away with spreading easily disprovable lies then calling any fact checking "fake news".  Media will always have a bias but Fox, and more recently OANN and Newsmax have been getting away with perpetrating insane conspiracy theories apropos of zero evidence.  These calls of 'both sides' every time something bad happens have been used with great effect to prevent the GOP ever being held accountable, whenever they do something the population are trained to look at the Dems and suggest they would have got away with it if they tried it so everyone must share the blame and nothing must be done so everyone can heal. The USA has been increasingly falling for these "authoritarianism 101" tactics as you guys might put it for a long time now. 

It will not get better if you guys continue to hold the GOP to low standards in the name of holding the Dems to high ones.

Edited by Carl the Llama

28 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I know it is popular in Texas, to cite that it was an independent country that joined the union as a treaty and therefore has the legal right to secede from the Union. But the Civil War pretty well established that States do not have any legal right to succeed. 

In practice the vast majority of Texans would oppose leaving the union, and if they tried, the military would put down their succession attempts... again lol

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

There's that false equivalency again, or do you honestly believe the Dems have done anything remotely comparable to inciting and supporting an attempt to otherthrow your democracy?  Politicians will always be self serving but for years the GOP have been allowed to get away with spreading easily disprovable lies then calling any fact checking "fake news".  Media will always have a bias but Fox, and more recently OANN and Newsmax have been getting away with perpetrating insane conspiracy theories apropos of zero evidence.  These calls of 'both sides' every time something bad happens have been used with great effect to prevent the GOP ever being held accountable, whenever they do something the population are trained to look at the Dems and suggest they would have got away with it if they tried it so everyone must share the blame and nothing must be done so everyone can heal. The USA has been increasingly falling for these "authoritarianism 101" tactics as you guys might put it for a long time now. 

It will not get better if you guys continue to hold the GOP to low standards in the name of holding the Dems to high ones.

Its over. Its just a slow moving trainwreck until the end. The events of the past year have showed many all they need to know about what the Federal Government/Ruling Class thinks of them. Whatever the government does now is just buying time. Just a slow moving train wreck.

9 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I know it is popular in Texas, to cite that it was an independent country that joined the union as a treaty and therefore has the legal right to secede from the Union. But the Civil War pretty well established that States do not have any legal right to succeed. 

In practice the vast majority of Texans would oppose leaving the union, and if they tried, the military would put down their succession attempts... again lol

Maybe. Lets see how the next year goes.

The military can't do much for a Failed State / Banana Republic.

Especially when its treated its soldiers like trash(endless war). You know, the citizens who have families who live here and can't afford health care and watched the government shut down the economy destroying countless businesses and jobs. And gave them $1800 dollars so far and an opportunity to borrow money to save their business and go further into debt. Is that worth sending your son/daughter to die in Texas.

So go on keep talking the tough talk. Think about how its going to look to the rest of the country. Lets keep doubling down on Violence because its worked so well in the rest of the World.

On 12/01/2021 at 11:06, Facecloth said:

. If I came on here every week pre game and tried to rile up fans to start fights, destroy opponent's grounds at away games, attack coaches of away fans and players at home games etc then I think everyone would find hard to argue if the owners banned me completely.

I’m in facey, when we doing it?

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I know it is popular in Texas, to cite that it was an independent country that joined the union as a treaty and therefore has the legal right to secede from the Union. But the Civil War pretty well established that States do not have any legal right to secede. 

In practice the vast majority of Texans would oppose leaving the union, and if they tried, the military would put down their secession attempts.

Minor but important correction :sweating:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’m in facey, when we doing it?

You'll need a hooligan gang name to strike fear into the heart of rivals, like Baby Squad, Inter City Firm or whatever.

I was thinking the Ferocious Flannels, but then I noticed your avatar and you already have a name: the Fighting Cocks.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah but not the fighting half lol

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Ah the boozing half.

Still they don’t know that.

Nah, I reckon it's the raping and pillaging half. :yesyes:

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Terrifying though. So many people in the wilderness of that country just want to kill anyone different to them.

Oh yeah, imagine how many more are dispersed around their country that didn't make the trip.  This coming week is going to be super tense, security is massively improved in DC but there's no reason to assume we've seen the last of the violent clashes there or elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yeah, political schadenfraude is a sure fire winner ffs. :nono:

Tbf I think the more important takeaway here is the coordinated effort to find and capture the insurrectionists.  I wouldn't dwell too much on the idea that I get satisfaction seeing terrorists brought to justice.

Edited by Carl the Llama

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf I think the more important takeaway here is the coordinated effort to find and capture the insurrectionists.  I wouldn't dwell too much on the idea that I get satisfaction seeing terrorists brought to justice.

The idea that you were basking in the downfall of the protestors was not my thought process there to be honest. I was more thinking that repudiation is fine, but the collection of protestors is necessary rather than celebrated on social platforms, but perhaps this Reddit serves a useful process beyond that.

Forgive me if we've had this already, but there are occasionally crumbs of good news to be had in the ongoing battle against the world of complete bollocks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/online/conservative-website-admits-its-stories-about-dominion-were-completely-false-in-massive-retraction/amp/

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Forgive me if we've had this already, but there are occasionally crumbs of good news to be had in the ongoing battle against the world of complete bollocks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/online/conservative-website-admits-its-stories-about-dominion-were-completely-false-in-massive-retraction/amp/

It’s good news, but a retraction is insufficient. It’s the old problem of the apology following the guilty verdict.

33 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

NRA filing for bankruptcy is another crumb to add as well...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s good news, but a retraction is insufficient. It’s the old problem of the apology following the guilty verdict.

Oh, absolutely. I think even it being this way round is still helpful if it happens often enough, but it doesn't.

That's one of the reasons why the binning off of the Leveson inquiry in this country was such a lost opportunity.

I cannot remember the exact details but I think one of the proposals that came out of that was where a newspaper story was found to be bollocks, the 'clarification' they would be obliged to publish would have the same prominence as the original article, instead of on page 29 next to the adverts for fur lined slippers and solar garden lights.

If you're a regular reader of a newspaper, even if only occasionally the front page story was along the lines of 'remember that thing we said - it was a load of shite' then surely the readership will eventually start to be a bit more inclined to engage their braincells when processing information.

I think everyone on here is well aware that the media is a tool used to pursue any number of agendas and can view material from even the outlets we trust with a vaguely critical eye, but it's easy to forget that a LOT of people are a lot more trusting. I've mentioned before that my Dad, who is now well old, has a trust in newspapers that I just cannot relate to - his attitude is very much, 'why would they print it if it wasn't true?' 

• Like 2