Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Surprised that some people really think there result doesn't affect us that much. The US is still our key ally, will be even more after Brexit. Are we really that complacent these days that we would be so meh about another 4 years of Trump at the helm of the Western world? 

Economically we are better off with Trump no doubt.  Biden has shown no sign of affection for the UK.  Trump is a fan of the UK.

i reckon this will go down to the line like 2000

regarding trump supporters, although not all are flag carrying crazies, many are basically brainwashed thinking the us is some paradise and that the real issues are immigration, and other populist policies of trump.  a lot is wrong in the usa. There are a lot of massive terrible issues in the USA. But trump basically distracts his base from the real ones, although he recognizes that there are problems, he clearly looks to  distract from the truth and create hate. His supporters recognize there are problems as well, but they opt to blame and focus on false problems truthfully. 

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I expect you have noticed by now we left the EU in January?  We could do with a trade deal with the US.

We could do with the US not falling apart. I don't see how a Trump win benefits anyone on our side. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KFS said:

Imo the U.K. and US trade deal will happen regardless. Biden has focused less on foreign policy just because there are so many issues on home soil that he’s based his campaign on. 

Not as things stand.

Biden has Irish roots and has already intimated that there will be no deal if the Brexit withdrawal threatens the Good Friday Agreement, which will be the case if Johnson continues to renege on what was agreed with the EU. Political commentators also suggest that his first priority will be repairing the relationship with the EU, not making a deal with the UK. Brexit was always going to be a gamble on getting a favourable deal with Trump. Johnson is shitting it over the possibility of Trump losing.

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not as things stand.

Biden has Irish roots and has already intimated that there will be no deal if the Brexit withdrawal threatens the Good Friday Agreement, which will be the case if Johnson continues to renege on what was agreed with the EU. Political commentators also suggest that his first priority will be repairing the relationship with the EU, not making a deal with the UK. Brexit was always going to be a gamble on getting a favourable deal with Trump. Johnson is shitting it over the possibility of Trump losing.

The EU are literally demanding things never put into any trade deal ever, yet you think Johnson is the one reneging on the withdrawal agreement.  Christ alive.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The EU are literally demanding things never put into any trade deal ever, yet you think Johnson is the one reneging on the withdrawal agreement.  Christ alive.

Yes.

He is reneging on the deal that he himself brokered and breaking international law in doing so. Your right wing Brexit views are well documented, Jon, but I doubt that Biden will find them in the least bit important. Sorry to piss on your chips.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not as things stand.

We'll see. There are a lot of Americans that claim heritage to certain countries but in reality they drop it like a hat when the going gets tough lol

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yes.

He is reneging on the deal that he himself brokered and breaking international law in doing so. Your right wing Brexit views are well documented, Jon, but I doubt that Biden will find them in the least bit important. Sorry to piss on your chips.

Nothing right wing about Brexit, as you well know, many millions of Labour voters supported it.

The government is screwing up an awful lot this year, but holding a firm line on negotiations with the EU is not one of them.  Like it or not we are out, and signing a stupid deal helps no one.  I don't understand why anyone would want the UK to suffer now Breixt has happened.  Surely the bext possible deal for the UK is appealing to everyone?  We are never going to rejoin, get used to it.

Anyway I am sure there will be a deal signed at the last minute as is usually the way with the EU.  If not then it's going to sting a bit, but not as much as pre Covid, and way better than signing up to insane terms from the EU.  

3 minutes ago, KFS said:

We'll see. There are a lot of Americans that claim heritage to certain countries but in reality they drop it like a hat when the going gets tough lol

“We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit.

“Any trade deal between the US and UK must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period.” Joe Biden

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/joe-biden-brexit-good-friday-agreement-trade-deal-b457753.html

Seems pretty unequivocal to me.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nothing right wing about Brexit, as you well know, many millions of Labour voters supported it.

The government is screwing up an awful lot this year, but holding a firm line on negotiations with the EU is not one of them.  Like it or not we are out, and signing a stupid deal helps no one.  I don't understand why anyone would want the UK to suffer now Breixt has happened.  Surely the bext possible deal for the UK is appealing to everyone?  We are never going to rejoin, get used to it.

Anyway I am sure there will be a deal signed at the last minute as is usually the way with the EU.  If not then it's going to sting a bit, but not as much as pre Covid, and way better than signing up to insane terms from the EU.  

I'm not going to rehash Brexit arguments, Jon, but regarding a trade deal with the Yanks, it's not your or my opinion that counts, it's Biden's.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

“We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit.

“Any trade deal between the US and UK must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period.” Joe Biden

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/joe-biden-brexit-good-friday-agreement-trade-deal-b457753.html

TRUMP 2020!!

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

So in response to the initial question over which candidate's election most benefits the U.K, as things stand and using certainty as a guide; IMO it's Biden. In my personal opinion Trump is so divisive and has encouraged a them vs us that I am seeing play out across the entirety of the western world. I would most definitely put that down to him being in office when you compare Obama's era.

I get the concern that you're raising over Brexit, but it's still so uncertain that someone hanging a Trump win as beneficial to the U.K on it (I'm not saying you are) is not something I'd personally agree with.

One thing I have been intrigued by as someone who only took any interest in US and all politics really in the last few years is the sheer amount of bull**** on both sides slamming the other side, and how childlike the arguments are that are used to try and one up. It's nothing to do with what's actually going on in many cases but all about having a laugh with like-minded people at the other side's expense. It's all basically propaganda, mainly fueled by social media right now. Reddit is the worst for it and is impossible to use without seeing it constantly. 

This isn't anything new of course but to me it was, and it's staggering to look at from a outside perspective. You see political followers, and also the politicians themselves basing entire debate arguments on single occurrences that do not necessarily reflect a larger group of people (let's say there's a riot that involves looting and violence by left wing supporters, this doesn't mean all lefties with similar views are violent, or equally if there's a OTT trump supporter with huge flags on their car running someone over, same sentiment) 

Nice to see foxestalk doesn't tend to devolve into that here. 

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

So in response to the initial question over which candidate's election most benefits the U.K, as things stand and using certainty as a guide; IMO it's Biden. In my personal opinion Trump is so divisive and has encouraged a them vs us that I am seeing play out across the entirety of the western world. I would most definitely put that down to him being in office when you compare Obama's era.

I get the concern that you're raising over Brexit, but it's still so uncertain that someone hanging a Trump win as beneficial to the U.K on it (I'm not saying you are) is not something I'd personally agree with.

There was no initial question.

I was merely gainsaying your assertion that there will be a trade deal regardless of who wins. For the record, imo a Trump victory is a disaster for the world, never mind the UK.

4 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

One thing I have been intrigued by as someone who only took any interest in US and all politics really in the last few years is the sheer amount of bull**** on both sides slamming the other side, and how childlike the arguments are that are used to try and one up. It's nothing to do with what's actually going on in many cases but all about having a laugh with like-minded people at the other side's expense. It's all basically propaganda, mainly fueled by social media right now. Reddit is the worst for it and is impossible to use without seeing it constantly. 

This isn't anything new of course but to me it was, and it's staggering to look at from a outside perspective. You see political followers, and also the politicians themselves basing entire debate arguments on single occurrences that do not necessarily reflect a larger group of people (let's say there's a riot that involves looting and violence by left wing supporters, this doesn't mean all lefties with similar views are violent, or equally if there's a OTT trump supporter with huge flags on their car running someone over, same sentiment) 

Hold my beer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

There was no initial question.

I was merely gainsaying your assertion that there will be a trade deal regardless of who wins. For the record, imo a Trump victory is a disaster for the world, never mind the UK.

Bovril raised it, but ok.

I agree with you - it means an emotionally charged man baby has access to the nuclear button.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Been here long?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

He might forget his policies, be unduly influenced by the wrong people etc.  Having the most powerful man in the world losing his faculties is not a good outcome.

Trump lost his decades ago lol.

On a sad note, i was driving to an appointment over here in ontario this morning. Was on my way to my old city and on the side of a motorway was a parked up truck with a Trump 2020 flag. Ffs this is Canada you embarrassing knobcheeseEnd. By all means have an opinion but a flag in Ontario? Hopefully this was just a transplanted American showing their pride today. If not, i am ashamed to be Canadian lol

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Trump lost his decades ago lol.

On a sad note, i was driving to an appointment over here in ontario this morning. Was on my way to my old city and on the side of a motorway was a parked up truck with a Trump 2020 flag. Ffs this is Canada you embarrassing knobcheeseEnd. By all means have an opinion but a flag in Ontario? Hopefully this was just a transplanted American showing their pride today. If not, i am ashamed to be Canadian lol

#trumpcanada2023 😁🤔