Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

10 hours ago, Guy said:

A great win in it's nature but I don't know what's happened to Sheffield United this season, after last. Were they just a novelty/unknown quantity last season who were hard to play against but who have since been sussed out this time around or are they simply a pale reflection of the team from last season? Maybe they're one of the teams really missing their home support?? Either that or perhaps they're simply experiencing second season syndrome blues....can't see them staying up....nor WBA.....

...second season syndrome could be the manager trying to instigate style and format because he believes he is now in the Premiership and needs to do so,  rather than what is required. 

Their previous style of play took the league by surprise and gave them an edge, it could be that it has been worked out by the other teams in the league, or the manager has completely misjudged the situation and is undermining his teams' confidence.

Pearson made the same mistake when we came back up, the high tempo high line was a great strategy in the Championship and he did not believe we could play that way in the Premiership. He was wrong, typified by our last 9 games and was clear in the Man. United 5-3 that we were a team better at a high tempo than attempting to just hold your own.

More or less Huddersfield style of play, being in your face football (the early Klopp version of gegenpressing) worked and for some reason Wagner  decided to transform their style,  to something I don't think he even believes in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

I’ll tell you why he took Perez off and left Maddison on. Because Maddison is probably only one of 2 players that can play that quality killer ball in the 90th minute to win us the game. Perez played well but does he have that extra bit of class in the final third when it really matters? I’m not so sure. Maddison was a bit of a donkey admittedly but still hit the post and set up the winner. I understand people moaning at him because we know the talent he has but you can’t expect a player like that to be on it for the entire 90minutes, 38 games a season. If he was on it for 90mins every game, he’d be a De Bruyne/Iniesta/Kaka, which he quite clearly isn’t. 

Also match fitness for Perez. 

One thing Perez does posses is a good close control, dribbling and movement and he does the dirty work as well ... he's not a bad player when played in the right position like yesterday... hopefully he can come good.

Maddison wasn't great yesterday but like Vardy he does have that killer pass in his locker ... just get him off set piece duty unless its a crack at goal

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

One thing Perez does posses is a good close control, dribbling and movement and he does the dirty work as well ... he's not a bad player when played in the right position like yesterday... hopefully he can come good.

Maddison wasn't great yesterday but like Vardy he does have that killer pass in his locker ... just get him off set piece duty unless its a crack at goal

Not a slight at Perez, I was pleased to see him back in the team yesterday. If we’re going to play 3421 we might as well play players that can fit that system, which he does quite nicely. 

Always going to be a bit part player though, first to be subbed, first to be replaced in the XI etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Not a slight at Perez, I was pleased to see him back in the team yesterday. If we’re going to play 3421 we might as well play players that can fit that system, which he does quite nicely. 

Always going to be a bit part player though, first to be subbed, first to be replaced in the XI etc. 

He'd be very effective if played in a link-up role against teams who set up to defend in numbers

Has quick feet and the ability to take on players in tight spaces. We've rarely played to his strengths. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

He'd be very effective if played in a link-up role against teams who set up to defend in numbers

Has quick feet and the ability to take on players in tight spaces. We've rarely played to his strengths. 

I'll agree with that, similar to Cengiz Under who I rate as well.

On 07/12/2020 at 12:40, sacreblueits442 said:

...second season syndrome could be the manager trying to instigate style and format because he believes he is now in the Premiership and needs to do so,  rather than what is required. 

Their previous style of play took the league by surprise and gave them an edge, it could be that it has been worked out by the other teams in the league, or the manager has completely misjudged the situation and is undermining his teams' confidence.

Pearson made the same mistake when we came back up, the high tempo high line was a great strategy in the Championship and he did not believe we could play that way in the Premiership. He was wrong, typified by our last 9 games and was clear in the Man. United 5-3 that we were a team better at a high tempo than attempting to just hold your own.

More or less Huddersfield style of play, being in your face football (the early Klopp version of gegenpressing) worked and for some reason Wagner  decided to transform their style,  to something I don't think he even believes in.

Yes, I agree with this. Huddersfield under Wagner were a good example of another team that suffered second season syndrome once they changed their style and became far more meek. Also now for Sheffield United with Wilder needlessly changing the team's style to supposedly carry on thriving in the Prem. They just look bereft of ideas up front and although haven't been tonked by anybody in any of their games, all the same they are in grave danger of worsening the lowest points ever Prem. tally come the end of the season (at present 11 points by Derby of course!), at least at the present rate they're going! I remember they were all but dead and buried under Dave Bassett at Christmas in the old first division 30 years ago exactly but became more combative and eventually finished mid table - hallmarks of our more recent great escape season under Pearson no less!

Talking of which, the Pearson example when he reverted back to the high pressing style of play that got us back up to the Premier League in 2014 worked a treat for those last Great Escape seven wins from nine games...and with the way we played in the 5-3 win over United - that for whatever reason he didn't stick to for most of the season to follow and then made us more defensive (at a price of course), until we beat West Ham in the April. 

One could level the same criticism at Ranieri here too re 'second season syndrome' for him of a different nature - from title winners to relegation potential! - simply because he changed up our style, played far too defensively and directly (hoofball up to Vardy!) - and it was only with Shakey taking over for the rest of that season after CR's unfortunate but necessary sacking that we were able to finish it respectably! 

Edited by Guy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Guy said:

Yes, I agree with this. Huddersfield under Wagner were a good example of another team that suffered second season syndrome once they changed their style and became far more meek. Also now for Sheffield United with Wilder needlessly changing the team's style to supposedly carry on thriving in the Prem. They just look bereft of ideas up front and although haven't been tonked by anybody in any of their games, all the same they are in grave danger of worsening the lowest points ever Prem. tally come the end of the season (at present 11 points by Derby of course!), at least at the present rate they're going! I remember they were all but dead and buried under Dave Bassett at Christmas in the old first division 30 years ago exactly but became more combative and eventually finished mid table - hallmarks of our more recent great escape season under Pearson no less!

Talking of which, the Pearson example when he reverted back to the high pressing style of play that got us back up to the Premier League in 2014 worked a treat for those last Great Escape seven wins from nine games...and with the way we played in the 5-3 win over United - that for whatever reason he didn't stick to for most of the season to follow and then made us more defensive (at a price of course), until we beat West Ham in the April. 

Duplicate post....

Edited by Guy