Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

15 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You were watching a different game to me. Tielemens was absolutely awesome and MOM for me. we are so lucky to have him but i find it crazy how every game I read this stuff. He’s always mixed or only good when on top etc. Maddison awful? Seriously!? His set pieces were terrible but in open play he was decent and always looked like our biggest chance if scoring.

Subs odd? Literally the exact perfect subs for me. Ndidi looked assured and strong when he came on. No one messes with him and we look hugely better.

Nacho also for me had a good game, despite a few dodgy moments, his hold up play game us moments.

This forum will never fail to amaze me,how did you watch that whole match and identify Maddison as our main threat

• Like 1

I want to give credit to the Sheffield United defender who decided not to run into Vardy during the build up for that last goal. As the weight of the pass was slightly less than perfect, Vardy had to slow down a bit after he accelerated past the defender in order to pick up the ball just in front of the defender (the ideal ball would allow Vardy to run at full speed to pick up the ball but not too far for the keeper to reach first). The defender had to slow down so as not to crash into Vardy from behind him - he could have done that and it may or may not have been a red card but it would have prevented the goal.

Also by the way...

Is that the most confident you’ve ever felt seeing a city striker go one on one with the keeper? There was that second where time seemed to slow down when Vardy went one on one and there was never ever any doubt it was going to hit the back of the net. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mawuli said:

No man,c'mon don't do this, if anyone is taking home the main threat trophy it's obviously Ayoze

Yep, Ayoze was our best player and biggest attacking thread on the pitch. Flabbergasted when he was taken off but it was actually expected because of Rodgers’ favouritism (as another user identified during half time which I agreed at the time).

1 minute ago, Tom12345 said:

I want to give credit to the Sheffield United defender who decided not to run into Vardy during the build up for that last goal. As the weight of the pass was slightly less than perfect, Vardy had to slow down a bit after he accelerated past the defender in order to pick up the ball just in front of the defender (the ideal ball would allow Vardy to run at full speed to pick up the ball but not too far for the keeper to reach first). The defender had to slow down so as not to crash into Vardy from behind him - he could have done that and it may or may not have been a red card but it would have prevented the goal.

This is true. I do wonder what Pep, Frank, Jose, Jurgen and indeed, Brendan, would have expected the last defender to do in that situation?

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Yep, Ayoze was our best player and biggest attacking thread on the pitch. Flabbergasted when he was taken off but it was actually expected because of Rodgers’ favouritism (as another user identified during half time which I agreed at the time).

Come on, Ayoze has played very little so was probably never going to get a full 90

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is true. I do wonder what Pep, Frank, Jose, Jurgen and indeed, Brendan, would have expected the last defender to do in that situation?

Good question. Just watched a video about Jose at Spurs:

I think Jose would expect his last defender to take one for the team given what he said in this video - maybe I am wrong.

Rob in his standard Athletic article, points out we are good guys and we need to toughen up and engage more in the dark arts.

As much as I would rather we maintained the moral high ground, our low foul count has resulted in the a very high yellow card count, so maybe we should just say f*** it, dark arts it is then.

Which leads to another question, who in our side could have that cynical, nasty persona?

48 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Favouritism? Really? Why did he play in the first place, or even sign him? 

Literally nobody was glad he was playing pre match. How about Rodgers picks the team he thinks has the best chance of winning and its nothing to do with favouritism or his ego? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

No man,c'mon don't do this, if anyone is taking home the main threat trophy it's obviously Ayoze

Ayoze had a great game. Linked play brilliantly and closed down from the front but now sure you could say he looked massively threatening (yes I appreciate he scored lol). 

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I’ll tell you why he took Perez off and left Maddison on. Because Maddison is probably only one of 2 players that can play that quality killer ball in the 90th minute to win us the game. Perez played well but does he have that extra bit of class in the final third when it really matters? I’m not so sure. Maddison was a bit of a donkey admittedly but still hit the post and set up the winner. I understand people moaning at him because we know the talent he has but you can’t expect a player like that to be on it for the entire 90minutes, 38 games a season. If he was on it for 90mins every game, he’d be a De Bruyne/Iniesta/Kaka, which he quite clearly isn’t. 

Also match fitness for Perez. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gold Coast Fox said:

Although I’m obviously happy to win, I fear this is nothing more than papering over the cracks.

Pretty much.  Of course you'll take the 3 points but SU are bloody awful - 1 goal from open play all season.  Terrible formation and player selection but we could probably have picked any 11 guys off our eligible squad (including multiple keepers) and still been favorites.

I did think their goal was hilarious - such a classic LCFC 2020 moment.  Albrighton needlessly gives away a corner on a ball the keeper should have played (as soon as he did I knew in my gut there were scoring).  Then Kasper is glued to his line shouting "head it away!" as they head it away into his net.

Edited by Deeg67

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Pretty much.  Of course you'll take the 3 points but SU are bloody awful - 1 goal from open play all season.  Terrible formation and player selection but we could probably picked any 11 guys off our eligible squad and still been favorites.

I did think their goal was hilarious - such a classic LCFC 2020 moment.  Albrighton needlessly gives away a corner on a ball the keeper should have played (as soon as he did I knew in my guy there were scoring).  The Kaspar is glued to his line shouting "head it away!" as they head it away into his net.

That last paragraph sums up my view quite accurately. I was thinking surely some one coulda let Albrighton know he had time and not to just throw it behind. But as soon as it went behind I said to the mrs we are shocking at these and that bean pole will bag one purely as he hasn’t scored all season. Doh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulW said:

What an odd post!  You wonder if Mendy has regressed, but you're puzzled when he is replaced by a quality player like N'didi....

The reason why I thought the substitution was odd was more to do with timing. 

At 1-1 with them putting us under little to no pressure, replacing one DCM with another just seemed like a wasted opportunity. 

15 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Pretty much.  Of course you'll take the 3 points but SU are bloody awful - 1 goal from open play all season.  Terrible formation and player selection but we could probably have picked any 11 guys off our eligible squad (including multiple keepers) and still been favorites.

I did think their goal was hilarious - such a classic LCFC 2020 moment.  Albrighton needlessly gives away a corner on a ball the keeper should have played (as soon as he did I knew in my gut there were scoring).  Then Kasper is glued to his line shouting "head it away!" as they head it away into his net.

When the initial ball came across, i was expecting Albrighton to bring it down and turn away, or simply allow it to run through. My first reaction was that here is no way he would have put it out like that unless he was not made aware that he had no pressure on him. As a defender, facing your own goal you rely on your keeper to tell you if you have anyone coming in behind, in which case the call would be "man on" or "put it out" as opposed to "time"  or "let it run" which tells you there is no immediate threat. I can only presume that Albrighton did not get a shout so did the safe thing in that situation. Regardless, Kasper could easily have come for that as there was nobody in front of him.

Misunderstandings of course will always happen. Unfortunately on this occasion it cost us a goal but not the points.

Well they say that if you can win when you're playing bad, it's a good start.

I think there was an improvement yesterday, especially first half, but BR's tactics are still mind boggling and the result was nothing to do with his tactical genius, he had done everything within his power to settle us for a draw against the bottom of the league team.

Perez really impressed me yesterday, I thought he looked our best player.  Maddison was sh1t all game but we all know he has that ability to do that one bit of play / pass that will change a game which is likely why he was kept on.

Edited by adejo92

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Rob in his standard Athletic article, points out we are good guys and we need to toughen up and engage more in the dark arts.

As much as I would rather we maintained the moral high ground, our low foul count has resulted in the a very high yellow card count, so maybe we should just say f*** it, dark arts it is then.

Which leads to another question, who in our side could have that cynical, nasty persona?

Justin - the baby faced assassin :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fuchs, Mendy, Evans, Ndidi

3 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Fuchs, Mendy, Evans, Ndidi

I guess I phrased the question wrong, I meant who can be the performer of cynical fouls, stop breaks by the opposition, and disrupt them at every opportunity using the (hate the term) dark arts