Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

Wasn’t able to watch this but looking forward to the highlights later. Didn’t think the team selection was right but sounds like Madders and Perez created a fair bit. 

Good to see we can win without two of our most direct players on the pitch (Barnes and Under). Looking forward to seeing them plus Madders plus Ndidi plus Ricardo plus Castagne at some point...

Just now, Paninistickers said:

I absolutely fackin lovebwins like that.

Better than the complete bum rpe of Leeds.

Something sooo satisfying about being about 6/10 and then inflicting late agony on a desperate opponent. 

Unless it's us on the receiving end of course.

Not going to get pissy about it, I was a good win, and a win we needed. Yea sure there are things we still need to improve, for instance I still don’t like the back three, and don’t think it is necessary against teams like Sheffield United, and I can’t help think Rodgers is now doing it in an attempt to preserve certain players.

It’s going to be a tough season until we are either out of the EL, or get far enough that the games become more evenly spread, perhaps this is how it is going to be for now.

Any other day we could have walked off the pitch with 3 or 4 goals, Vardy hits the post, Madders hits the post and Youri has one saved. 

Goes down as a win and that’s that. Move on and use it to build some confidence again. 

3 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Any idea why neither barnes nor under came on.  It was crying out for them?

Perhaps Rodgers has wanted the team more defensively-minded and try and scrap out results, and wants to save them for the next upcoming games?

Edited by Wymsey

I absolutely love Vardy, as soon as he raced through I knew he’d score!! What a man! 3 points still with half a defence is good! Surprised Barnes and under didn’t come on though. I guess they are starters Thursday! Under desperately needs a goal to give him a boost and hopefully a prem start 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Like Morgan before him, Evans the experienced defender, is Not taking the responsibility he should to organise corner defending.

This should be come even before gameday..

In the end, on Field in game Organisation & discipline is the players job... I have seen even Top Teams struggle at Corners & Set pieces.

But with our bline injury crisis, its becoming rather annoying, & costly....especially where players and manager have Handled the injuries

damn well...

I think that's what Huth brought and we haven't properly replaced him by getting Evans. Fafana has bags of potential but is still in development and too young to tell if he's suited to that leadership role. I agree that the defensive coaches (and presumably BR) aren't pulling their weight but part of that is probably they just haven't had the time to do it. Even when players are left out of a European game (or PL game) then they're still working with half (or even less) of the players when ideally they should be training as a unit. 

At the other end we're also pretty dire at corners so something isn't right. It should be something BR and the coaching staff targets because we can get goals from it, or at least make the opposition feel like we're a threat which can create mistakes.     

• Like 1

Thoroughly deserved win based on the 1st half performance. 

They were happy with a point and we nicked it after a poor 2nd half. 

I think we all know we can do better and I think we will when we can get a few more quality players back. 

We do need to move the ball quicker in attack though and I said a few naughty words when Nacho kept slowing things down. 

Big celebrations in our house when Sir Jamie went through💙😄

A great feeling to come away with 3 points, even though portions of the game were dire to watch and extremely frustrating, because I know just how good we can be. Positives though; I was really impressed with Perez and it was nice to see him back in the team and it looks as though Ndidi should be able to play full 90 minutes in the coming weeks. 

On a side note, it looked like Mendy went down with a possible injury not long before being subbed, anyone know anything more about this?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Frost said:

Okay, he's in a terrible run of form, or he's playing terribly, whatever way you want to put it the stats back it up - it's been over a period which equates to 2/3 of a season, not four or five games.

Both Fulham and today were arguably his worst two performances in a City shirt. Fingers crossed he can rediscover some form but it's a worry right now.

He's also with the exception of Tielemans the only player we have who could have made that pass.

• Like 1

We were much better than Monday (not difficult) and I felt if we'd won 2-1 on the first half it would've been fair. We didn't deserve to lose, to nick it after the second half probably fortunate but that's why you have top class players in your team.

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Oh god, how good does a win feel. This style though, it’s hard to love. Appreciate that part of it is dictated by the opposition set up but we need to be quicker and ****ing improve our set plays. A wins a win and much needed. Madders was off it today but lovely ball through and Jamie Vardy - king.

I think the current style and formation is dictated by our defensive injuries. Brendan is trying to over-compensate for these by setting up conservatively. And judging by the injury news today (Ric with a new injury and Cags and Timmy out for even longer) we can expect more of the same until after Xmas, I suspect. If we're winning then the end justifies the means of course, but let's be honest it's certainly not entertaining.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1