Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Ben Marshall - Undr the Cosh

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Pearson and Shakey funny really, how they make such a good team together but it terms of personaility there completely different. I mean Shakey always comes across as warm, polite, approachable and respectful certainly towards the press media. While Pearson takes goes out and takes no prisoners...says what he wants and makes it clear who he doesn't like and would remain quite cagey on some matters. Yet together they achieve so much. 

...still would love to have Shakey back here.....a lot like Clough and Taylor!!!

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Seems like him and Vardy were unprofessional in their time together but one ended up in the eighth tier of non-league at 29 and the other has scored 100 Premier League goals in five years at 33.

It's not just a quirk of fate, he's had other spells at Championship teams since. Vardy may be seen as a banter merchant with the skittles and vodka but top managers put a serious amount of faith in him and he's a talismanic figure. Marshall's got stories but not a lot else.

Spot on. They should be put side by side and shown to younger players so they can see what can happen, good and bad.

33 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

To be fair, I watched the Matt Piper one and that was really good but then Matt comes across as a really likeable bloke. Ben Marshall just comes across as an absolute dick but you're right, the three hosts are lapping it up. 

Pipes is a lovely guy. Never heard much positive about Marshall.

11 minutes ago, shiv said:

Brilliant. The bit about the shots before the game makes me think even more that Pearson was smashed off his head during Ostrich gate... definitely seemed like he was slurring his words 😂

I interviewed Nigel for radio just before he went and did the written press where he did his silly ostrich stuff.

I wouldn't disagree about the alcohol.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

As much as he done for the club, his sacking looking back came at the right time. He did his job getting the club to the premier league and keep us up against the odds. However off the field he was just a lose cannon on deck. I think in terms of commercially Pearson was at risk of damaging the club with his comments to the media and to some fans. I think he lost his job the day he shouted abuse at fan... a step too far. The antics of his son was the final nail in the coffin. It sad really of the clubs most successful manager was probably also the most hardest manager to deal with.

....going back to him leaving, if I recall the club was still backing him after the great escape but they reserved the right to deal with the players who had brought disgrace to the team and club!!!

Pearson wanted to be in control of what the punishment would be but the club decided to release the players and Pearson was not happy with the decision. The club would not relent so a parting of the ways.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah he made no secret of his uneasiness with the media which came across as aggression. He wasn't the finished article as a manager and that will probably be something that always holds him back but for me the important thing for me was how the right players responded to him. The great escape being a indicator of how they'd run through brick walls for him

I know he regrets much of what happened between him and the media and he's gone out of his way to build bridges with those he offended. You can argue that interview techniques might have been designed to wind him up (which I'm not sure they were) but the fact is Pearson caused much of the drama such was his sensitivity to criticism and his creation of a seige mentality.

The players loved him (those that played) but equally many didn't, his style was / is a bit marmite and whilst he did a phenomenonal job at the club to get us where we are today I'm not sure you can argue with the decision to move him on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I know he regrets much of what happened between him and the media and he's gone out of his way to build bridges with those he offended. You can argue that interview techniques might have been designed to wind him up (which I'm not sure they were) but the fact is Pearson caused much of the drama such was his sensitivity to criticism and his creation of a seige mentality.

The players loved him (those that played) but equally many didn't, his style was / is a bit marmite and whilst he did a phenomenonal job at the club to get us where we are today I'm not sure you can argue with the decision to move him on.

Yeah I'm not saying it was wrong to move him on. The owners have very rarely got it wrong in that regard. Just want him to get the respect he's surely earned

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

One must wonder why he has failed virtually elsewhere  whereas most  managers of any repute succeed  at   3 or 4 clubs and fail perhaps once

1 hour ago, Foxaholic ME said:

One must wonder why he has failed virtually elsewhere  whereas most  managers of any repute succeed  at   3 or 4 clubs and fail perhaps once

Most recently it's due to the team around him - having him, walsh, Shakespeare along with people like Powell, Phillips, etc helped balance him out here.

1 hour ago, Foxaholic ME said:

In all honesty I don't think he has necessarily failed elsewhere, 2 of the last 3 jobs have been poor choices in terms of working for impatient owners. Unfortunately both Mel Morris and the Pozzo's aren't the types to give a manager time to shape their club's and build from the ground up. I actually thought he did a pretty decent job at Watford and was surprised that they ditched him especially as he has a decent record in the Championship which would have been a good insurance policy if he had taken them down. 

Sadly the Leuven experiment was always going prove to be an odd fit. He simply didn't have the knowledge or experience to be able to make things work in such a unique league where an understanding of the environment is key to succeeding. It was a shame really as I think if they'd been in the top tier he would have done OK and it would have been nice to see his relationship with the owners blossom again, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. 

• Like 1