Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Ben Marshall - Undr the Cosh

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

As much as he done for the club, his sacking looking back came at the right time. He did his job getting the club to the premier league and keep us up against the odds. However off the field he was just a loss cannon on deck. I think in terms of commercially Pearson was at risk of damaging the club with his comments to the media and to some fans. I think he lost his job the day he shouted abuse at fan... a step too far. The antics of his son was the final nail in the coffin. It sad really of the clubs most successful manager was probably also the most hardest manager to deal with.

Not according to the players of that time. Kasper etc have always spoken very highly of him as a father figure type etc

Of course he made mistakes and let his temper get the better of him one too many times but can't question him as a man imo. I quite liked his distain for the media also

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Not according to the players of that time. Kasper etc have always spoken very highly of him as a father figure type etc

Of course he made mistakes and let his temper get the better of him one too many times but can't question him as a man imo. I quite liked his distain for the media also

This was probably the problem we never seen enough from Nigel.. it just across as manager who didn't take kindly to criticism. I remember once when was a rare guest on Radio Leicester... the amount of the times he said "Your entitled to your opinion" honestly you could tell that an hour he had with Stringer on the football forum was the hardest thing he had to do. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

Just now, Leicesterpool said:

This was probably the problem we never seen enough from Nigel.. it just across as manager who didn't take kindly criticism. I remember once when was a rare quest on Radio Leicester... the amount of the times he said "Your entitled to your opinion" honestly you could tell that an hour he had with Stringer on the football forum was the hardest thing he had to do. 

Yeah he made no secret of his uneasiness with the media which came across as aggression. He wasn't the finished article as a manager and that will probably be something that always holds him back but for me the important thing for me was how the right players responded to him. The great escape being a indicator of how they'd run through brick walls for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martyn said:

I always think it gets overstated what Marshall's level could have been if it wasn't for his personal issues.

He was ok for us, nothing more. Decent technician, good strike on him but I didn't see too many more raw tools which would suggest he could really be anything other than a decent Championship player. 

Have you been taking lessons from BR? :D

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I wish more of our players and staff b dealt with Stringer that way. He's not a journalist. He exists to create drama and place himself into the middle of it and that's irresponsible as a journalist. The club isn't in his interests; being seen as being at the heart of something is. 

He should be dealt with the same as he acts, with contempt. I was never happier, when listening to BBC Leicester, then when Pearson was dealing with Stringer like the child he was. 

I agree with that, I have mixed feelings about Stringer for one thing during 2014-15 season I can remember after awkard interview between Pearson and Stringer, there was a ban between the club interview any players and coaching staff and BBC Radio Leicester. All down to the interview techniques of Mr Stringer. I always find interesting only a few months before Alan Young lost his job on there yet Ian Stringer who caused the rift between Radio station and the club at the time was kept on? 

Just now, Paddy. said:

Seems like an absolute arsehole to be brutally honest. An arsehole as a player and an arsehole now too.

To be fair to him, he seems well aware of this lol

He actually believes he would have been a Premier League player if he worked hard. Total nonsenselol he scored the occasional worldie but overall he wasn't even that good as a player. Championship was his ceiling. In fact, a bang average Championship player. 

6 hours ago, martyn said:

I always think it gets overstated what Marshall's level could have been if it wasn't for his personal issues.

He was ok for us, nothing more. Decent technician, good strike on him but I didn't see too many more raw tools which would suggest he could really be anything other than a decent Championship player. 

Agreed. Wasn't as good as Knockaert or Dyer and we signed Mahrez a few months later.

Yes he could hit some great goals but, like Beckford, he was replaced by better players who went on to achieve great things with and without us.

The way he talks about the owners ‘the king power lot’ and the whole interview to be fair just shows the type of person he is. He got caught up in a ‘lads’ environment for the podcast, so it’s easy to see how he would’ve acted in the outside world. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Pearson tried to move on those who didn't fit the ethos he was looking for.

Players had a lot of respect for him and still do now.

He had his limitations but he knew how to build a mentally strong unit.

As for the media, he has the respect of many journalists, especially those on the Midlands patch who dealt with him regularly.

He didn't like lazy questions or reporters with perceived agendas. He didn't suffer fools.

The smarter ones knew how to ask tough questions the right way. Anyone trying to be 'clever' or hiding behind 'this what the fans are saying' got short shrift.

Yeah he was a challenge at times but I'd still run through a brick wall for him and I never bloody played for him!

Great insight, thanks

1 hour ago, Koke said:

He actually believes he would have been a Premier League player if he worked hard. Total nonsenselol he scored the occasional worldie but overall he wasn't even that good as a player. Championship was his ceiling. In fact, a bang average Championship player. 

Totally agree

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Seems like him and Vardy were unprofessional in their time together but one ended up in the eighth tier of non-league at 29 and the other has scored 100 Premier League goals in five years at 33.

It's not just a quirk of fate, he's had other spells at Championship teams since. Vardy may be seen as a banter merchant with the skittles and vodka but top managers put a serious amount of faith in him and he's a talismanic figure. Marshall's got stories but not a lot else.

35 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

What a Shite set up. Like an annoying table of middle aged northern slobs at breakfast at a Premier Inn talking about events from their past. 

To be fair, I watched the Matt Piper one and that was really good but then Matt comes across as a really likeable bloke. Ben Marshall just comes across as an absolute dick but you're right, the three hosts are lapping it up. 

• Like 1