Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

41 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

He hits the headlines for the great shots and big hits, but he deserves credit for how well balanced that innings was too - first 50 off 90-odd and second 50 off 24. 

Matured in a short time! 

@StanSP

You know more about the India setup than most here, so is there any reason at all to suspect that India won't get rolled over as easily as they have the last few times they've toured England when they come over in the summer?

I can just see it being as one sided as this series but in the opposite direction due to the conditions and I'm not sure why folks would think otherwise.

Hats off to Pant, another sensational innings. Never understood it when he got dropped for Saha but since he's come back he's properly proven his point - you'd have an argument to say he's the best multi-format batsman in the world right now. Such a stylish player too, love watching his innovation at the crease. 

Irritating that our own WK-batsman, capable of producing moments of equal brilliance, has sat out most of the series. I get that players have to be rotated to protect their wellbeing in bubbles, but Root must be a little cheesed off with how much the test squad has been depleted in favour of white ball cricket. Especially in an Ashes year when you'd think preparation for that should be paramount. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

@StanSP

You know more about the India setup than most here, so is there any reason at all to suspect that India won't get rolled over as easily as they have the last few times they've toured England when they come over in the summer?

I can just see it being as one sided as this series but in the opposite direction due to the conditions and I'm not sure why folks would think otherwise.

I think it'll be more of the same, to be perfectly blunt! 

The conditions are just so vastly different in both countries that favour the home side. 

We have a heavily talented squad across the board, and I can't remember a stronger squad once everyone is fit (Kumar is missing and he'll definitely be in contention, especially on the type of pitches). Last series I remember it was Kohli vs England but since then some players have really stepped up and delivered. It's a very confident side, too, with belief they could win. 

England will win the series but I think it'll be closer than before. 

I think India have a good chance of winning in England. Question is whether their batsmen will cope but they definitely have the seam attack, Shami, Bumrah, Ishant, Sirag will be good in English conditions and English batsmen have had just as much trouble when the ball swings.

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

The conditions are just so vastly different in both countries that favour the home side. 

We have a heavily talented squad across the board, and I can't remember a stronger squad once everyone is fit (Kumar is missing and he'll definitely be in contention, especially on the type of pitches). Last series I remember it was Kohli vs England but since then some players have really stepped up and delivered. It's a very confident side, too, with belief they could win. 

12 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think India have a good chance of winning in England. Question is whether their batsmen will cope but they definitely have the seam attack, Shami, Bumrah, Ishant, Sirag will be good in English conditions and English batsmen have had just as much trouble when the ball swings.

Agreed about the bowling, but I still remain unconvinced about any of their batsman apart from Kohli when it comes to handling swinging English conditions.

I'd expect low-scoring results-oriented matches, but England's batsmen will handle the conditions better.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Agreed about the bowling, but I still remain unconvinced about any of their batsman apart from Kohli when it comes to handling swinging English conditions.

I'd expect low-scoring results-oriented matches, but England's batsmen will handle the conditions better.

Yep. England's batsmen will be dominant. Even if our bowling is better. 

Pope has been really disappointing, looked so good so far but has been found out massively, not the first though so sure he will come back. There is an element of benefit of doubt with some players regarding form, Pope, Stokes, Burns, Foakes had no batting game time since last summer. Baristow went away and came back, although did play in Sri Lanka. He's not a number 3 though for me.

Fact is the batsmen have lost their confidence and mind, and bowlers have let India score more than they should have on the pitches they've played on. 

Winning away from home is bloody difficult, maybe even more in covid bubble times. 

16 hours ago, StanSP said:

This is the Best Indian Side ( squad) ever IMO....They have Now decent pace bowlers, & a long tail of Good bowler-batsman...and excellent fielders

If ever there was a Time to beat England in England...This is it...!!!

Though England will hat better, & give their bowlers something to Work with...

Sibley, Burns have to open...Then Crawley..!!   I also suspect Pope & Ferguson will fair better on their own English wickets....

But India will have also some experienced & canny bowlers, who will Show how Good they Really are, unlike England, at the moment, they travel well...!!

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

This is the Best Indian Side ( squad) ever IMO....They have Now decent pace bowlers, & a long tail of Good bowler-batsman...and excellent fielders

If ever there was a Time to beat England in England...This is it...!!!

Though England will hat better, & give their bowlers something to Work with...

Sibley, Burns have to open...Then Crawley..!!   I also suspect Pope & Ferguson will fair better on their own English wickets....

But India will have also some experienced & canny bowlers, who will Show how Good they Really are, unlike England, at the moment, they travel well...!!

I'd just love for at least 2 or 3 players other than Kohli to consistently put up a fight. Show their worth and talent in England for more than just the odd innings. It would make it so much more competitive and take some weight of Kohli's shoulders. 

56 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Pope has been really disappointing, looked so good so far but has been found out massively, not the first though so sure he will come back. There is an element of benefit of doubt with some players regarding form, Pope, Stokes, Burns, Foakes had no batting game time since last summer. Baristow went away and came back, although did play in Sri Lanka. He's not a number 3 though for me.

Fact is the batsmen have lost their confidence and mind, and bowlers have let India score more than they should have on the pitches they've played on. 

Winning away from home is bloody difficult, maybe even more in covid bubble times. 

Pope is too frenetic at the crease and looks out of his depth against half decent spin. One big thing in his favour is that when he plays well, he looks like he has all the time in the world to play the ball, so with a few technical tweaks hopefully he can still be a decent player for the long term.

Bairstow is done as a test player, not just a number 3. Technique is just too loose.

Edited by martyn

Congratulations to India.

Neither team found batting particularly easy in the last 3 tests but India had someone stand up every time and get crucial runs. Rohit, Pant, Ashwin, Sundar, not the usual suspects either. That 1st test seems a long time ago.

Depending on the wicket at Lords, the final could be very interesting.

• Like 1

I understand horse for courses and the need to manage people in the bubble, but England selection process for this this tour has been symbolic.

Most of the top and middle order look brain fried, and have no game plan to play spin, even when its not spinning.

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Pope is too frenetic at the crease and looks out of his depth against half decent spin. One big thing in his favour is that when he plays well, he looks like he has all the time in the world to play the ball, so with a few technical tweaks hopefully he can still be a decent player for the long term.

Bairstow is done as a test player, not just a number 3. Technique is just too loose.

Woaaaa there..!!  

Pope came back from a long Lay-off after injury, he didn t have much Time to climatise ,und he didn t have the Sri-Lanka series to Build on..Bit

I Think he will make it, needs Time to be in Again...

Bairstow might be ok everywhere else, But he aint sub-continent material..Probably has you say, thats bis Test career over...

Crawley at no3, will help us..Then Butcher,Foakes, ( wkt) Pope and Lawrence can compete for those Two batting Spots behind Stokes..

Pretty poor series in terms of a contest. No close matches, first test lasted longer than it needed too with England batting on before declaring. Since then it's been easy as you like for India.

I don't think the resting etc made too much difference. India just better in those conditions and we lost faith very quickly.