Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

TV Quiz Shows

8 hours ago, David Guiza said:

As a fan of pretentious garbage I fully endorse Only Connect. I was utterly bemused at first, but regularly score well now.

It's actually very watchable and not as difficult as it seems once you're 'in.

I have a love/hate relationship with University Challenge. There are far too many physics/chemistry/mathematics questions for me, but getting a few right remains as satisfying as ever.

The Hit List is a guilty pleasure, just to test my music knowledge. 

I tear around the front room like we've just scored a 95th minute winner when I get a question right on University Challenge

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

The Chase is one of the best there is. Shits all over Pointless. 

I like House of Games too but it depends on the contestants/guests. Can be a tad slow at times. 

I've been on Countdown. 

How was Rachel?

Turns out I'm a page and half too late.

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

How was Rachel?

Delightful. Very friendly. Had a good chat with her in between filming as she'd come in to the Green Room and meet contestants. 

Had lunch with all of them as well - David Lloyd was in Dictionary Corner and he had some good cricket stories to tell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Delightful. Very friendly. Had a good chat with her in between filming as she'd come in to the Green Room and meet contestants. 

Had lunch with all of them as well - David Lloyd was in Dictionary Corner and he had some good cricket stories to tell. 

Any excuse to post this

9 hours ago, davieG said:

I watch a few but they all get a bit tedious after a while as the host runs through their never changing script the worst currently being Alexander Armstrong. So many depend on a host who can ad-lib and contestant who look like they're enjoying themselves.

I'm not that keen or interested in whether the contestants are married and for how long or their age etc. Ok some of them have interesting jobs but this is where you need a decent host to make the most of the info and Armstrong can't do that.

I'm amazed at how poor so many contestants are on the geography of England not knowing where large Cities or Towns are.

9 hours ago, Webbo said:

A question on Tipping Point yesterday, "which important figure in Christianity was born in a stable in Bethlehem?" 

It really is the game show for dumb asses, doesn't mean I don't watch it quite often. 

Armstrong is the reason I cannot abide Pointless. His scripted questions about the contestants and their job/hobby/where they live is utter tedium. That said, Tipping point is like a quiz show version of Groundhog Day. Creepy Ben says the same thing every... single... show.

I used to like Bullseye with Jim Bowen as it was fairly tongue in cheek and it was amusing to watch "the darts player" and the "clever" sidekick make utter twats of themselves.

Discovered recently that one of the contestants went on to commit 4 murders, 1 rape, 1 sexual assault, 30 burglaries and 1 attempted robbery.

If only he'd won the speedboat, he might have escaped to France.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

st is very like an 80s game show, Name That Tune, which I used to quite like. I think the presenters on the Hit List are a bit wooden.

Judging from some post they create wood 

Just now, Parafox said:

I liked Blankety Blank with Terry Wogan. A natural at engaging with the contestants. He could  gently mock the celebs on the panel. It was a nice show. 

Les Dawson was good at that as well. Didn't like Paul O'Grady or Bradley Walsh when they did it. Might be a bit dated now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

There was a random quiz show about ten or fifteen years ago set on a scaffolding tower rigged with traps.  A question is asked with amount of answers equalling amount of contestants.   Each contestant would have to pick an answer with the contestant with the wrong answer being randomly ejected off the building in an imaginative method such as being propelled off attached to an office chair or inside a car.  

Do anyone else remember it?

Did you have a weird dream about kerplunk? 

image.jpeg.da198fba1a392a5bf120bc75bdcd2d57.jpeg

I've applied to go on tipping point, who dares wins, and impossible in the last few months. 

The only show I got an interview for was the weakest link back in the day. Passed it with flying colours.  Was due to go to Glasgow for filming and Anne Robinson pulled the plug on the show. 

On 06/02/2021 at 09:20, Webbo said:

A question on Tipping Point yesterday, "which important figure in Christianity was born in a stable in Bethlehem?" 

It really is the game show for dumb asses, doesn't mean I don't watch it quite often. 

Tipping point is the GOAT. Some absolutely ridiculous answers, some right weirdos can’t get the timing right and most of it is just pure random.

44 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Tipping point is the GOAT. Some absolutely ridiculous answers, some right weirdos can’t get the timing right and most of it is just pure random.

You can pinpoint the moment he realizes he's ****ed up at 0:34:

• Haha 3

Applied for 15 to 1 in the William G. Stewart days. 

I was a student at the time & got invited for the audition.  Unfortunately, it clashed with my exams & I couldn't attend.  I didn't have high hopes, just wanted to get through the first round.  So long as I didn't make a complete arse of myself on national telly.

I used to watch it every day with a housemate.  We applied at the same time.  She went to the audition & made it onto the show.  Got knocked out in the first round lol

26 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Applied for 15 to 1 in the William G. Stewart days. 

I was a student at the time & got invited for the audition.  Unfortunately, it clashed with my exams & I couldn't attend.  I didn't have high hopes, just wanted to get through the first round.  So long as I didn't make a complete arse of myself on national telly.

I used to watch it every day with a housemate.  We applied at the same time.  She went to the audition & made it onto the show.  Got knocked out in the first round lol

In terms of choosing the next person answering the question, what was the best tactic? Go for those with 3 lights or pick off those with one?