Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

TV Quiz Shows

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

There was a random quiz show about ten or fifteen years ago set on a scaffolding tower rigged with traps.  A question is asked with amount of answers equalling amount of contestants.   Each contestant would have to pick an answer with the contestant with the wrong answer being randomly ejected off the building in an imaginative method such as being propelled off attached to an office chair or inside a car.  

Do anyone else remember it?

101 ways to leave a gameshow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Haha, 5 point loss. Jeff Stelling (who obviously jibed at supporting Leicester). Can't remember if I gave a dig back about him being Hartlepool.

Rachel Riley doing the letters and numbers though. I blame that for my loss.

I can't stand the fact that Armstrong has to repeat every single option twice as well. Worse on the long ones.

At most I'll watch the celebrity versions depending who it is.

Bradley Walsh is one of the best hosts around. He makes it just as much as the contestants making money/Chasers.

How was it in terms of the pressure-  did you felt incredibly nervous beforehand and during the gameshow?    I still have fond memories of you nailing anagrams for monthly 442 Foxestalk quizzes back in the day!

Edited by The Blur

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Any thoughts?

I've said my piece about Pointless being awesome in another thread but thought this deserved a thread of its own. 

What do people think of House of Games? Pretty good overall I think but the last round is a bit tedious.

Lightening pn BBC2 looks crap.

The Victoria Coren Mitchell one is intriguing but always makes me feel like an idiot. 

Also, any been on a quiz show?

I've not,  but a kid I was at school with - called Meadows - won the Mastermind grand final some time ago. 

Agree about Only Connect. Difficult, but good to watch in my opinion. 

Its popularity tends to confirm my belief that the general public is a lot more intelligent than the media in general tend to give them credit for.

39 minutes ago, isaidno said:

101 ways to leave a gameshow.

That is the one-   I think it was back then when Saw franchise was all the rage back then so I may have got a sadistic kick out of watching participants being terrified before being ejected lol 

Edited by The Blur

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

How was it in terms of the pressure-  did you felt incredibly nervous beforehand and during the gameshow?    I still have fond memories of you nailing anagrams for monthly 442 Foxestalk quizzes back in the day!

Mega nervous in the morning of filming and for about 5 mins at the start. After that I remember being quite comfortable and got less nervous as the game went on. From what I remember there's not that much editing and what you see on TV is pretty much what's been filmed. 

I've not changed regarding the anagrams! Bit of a geek when it comes to them. 

12 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Lingo and Lightening are possibly 2 of the worst shows I've ever seen.

I quite like Tenable, although some of the categories are pretty niche.

Plus it gave us this golden moment...

Not watched Lightning but Lingo I got bored with after 2 episodes. Didn't have enough excitement about it. 

Can't stand Tenable. The noise they've got for revealing the answers does my head in lol

What does everyone think to The Wheel? I haven't minded it most weeks depending on the celebs they have on. I think it helps I don't mind Michael McIntyre though so I can get it people won't like the show because of him. 

I used to love Pointless but they've run out of questions. Often rounds have zero pointless answers on offer, though the new bonus round has addressed that somewhat. I still watch it, but I'm not disappointed if I miss it.

At the moment there are too many gimmicky quiz shows that take aaaaaages  between questions. The Wheel is a major offender here. Just get on with it! Pointless has sadly drifted in this direction.

Bottom of the pile is easily Tipping Point. The questions are ones a nine year old could get, but which still get passed by competitors and the scoring involves a considerable amount of random chance.

I do like Impossible, The Chase and Only Connect, plus the old classics University Challenge and Mastermind. The obvious problem with Mastermind, at least for the viewer, is having to sit through four rounds with probably no idea of the answer (sometimes it strays into areas you can guess at).

40 minutes ago, FOXYTALK said:

Weakest Link was the one back in the day. The put downs by Anne Robinson made it. 

Kudos to Goldenballs the one where the lady stole it all. 

I like tenable as a round quiz show. 

Had it's fair share of salty losers too.

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Mega nervous in the morning of filming and for about 5 mins at the start. After that I remember being quite comfortable and got less nervous as the game went on. From what I remember there's not that much editing and what you see on TV is pretty much what's been filmed. 

I've not changed regarding the anagrams! Bit of a geek when it comes to them. 

When you say you lost be 5 points, was it still winnable at the conundrum? Did nobody get it and the points stayed the same, or did you get it be were 15 points behind. Or worse, did they get it and nick the win?

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

When you say you lost be 5 points, was it still winnable at the conundrum? Did nobody get it and the points stayed the same, or did you get it be were 15 points behind. Or worse, did they get it and nick the win?

Still winnable :(

Nobody got it and I don't think anyone got it in the audience, either. Although may be wrong as I was very much internally annoyed I didn't get it and win at the time lol

Just now, StanSP said:

Still winnable :(

Nobody got it and I don't think anyone got it in the audience, either. Although may be wrong as I was very much internally annoyed I didn't get it and win at the time lol

Ah, gutting! Especially when you're good at anagrams. 

I think the last TV quiz show I saw was the one with Noel Edmonds and all the red boxes.

Since Blockbusters and Bullseye finished, I lost interest.

My Father In Law was on the Weakest Link years ago and he was shit.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think the last TV quiz show I saw was the one with Noel Edmonds and all the red boxes.

Since Blockbusters and Bullseye finished, I lost interest.

My Father In Law was on the Weakest Link years ago and he was shit.

Wouldn't even call Deal or No Deal a quiz show. It was borderline reality TV. No skill or knowledge involved, just all about the drama.

My mum was on Weakest Link, she was shit aswell.

• Haha 1

Deal or No Deal was weird man. They all had to spend every day with one and other I think so they seemed to become some weird cult who knew everything about each other, but obviously we the audience never saw any of that so the backstories and personalities of the contestants were never really relevant.

Then they’d come to opening the boxes and it would be “Tony you’re a great guy, Leanne should be so proud of you and the kids will be so grateful when they grow up that their dad wanted to do this for them, hope it’s a blue for you mate” and you’d be watching like what the ****? £250 grand is inside the box and it’s “don’t worry mate, it’s okay, it’s not your fault” - of course it ****ing isn’t he didn’t know it was 250 grand in there did he...and you picked that box!

Don’t get me started on the phone calls from “the banker” 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

More a gameshow than a quiz show.

Yeah, I was just thinking how they concentrated on the drama and personality of the contestants rather than anything else. Plus there's been a few fame hungry contestants over the years who also appeared on things like X Factor and Big Brother.