Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Judging a players potential far too early

Was anyone really wrong about Vardy at the time? After an initial good start, he did look like a player out of his depth, low on confidence (ridiculous when you look at him now) and well behind the likes of Nugent and Wood in the quality stakes.

Time does allow you to selectively look back at what happened years ago and I'm not going to lie, I thought he wouldn't last with us. 

I think it's unfair to look back and mock people who wrote him off. I'm sure they all are extremely glad to be proven so wrong.

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Collymore scored a hatrick on his debut then that was it from what i can remember thought wed signed ronaldo

Your memory's playing tricks.  Collymore was brilliant, but broke his leg and then fell foul of Taylor's preference for Akinbiyi and Benjamin over any decent strikers.

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Your memory's playing tricks.  Collymore was brilliant, but broke his leg and then fell foul of Taylor's preference for Akinbiyi and Benjamin over any decent strikers.

your probably right it was 20 years ago when i was a kid think I can remember him getting injured now you mention it

10 hours ago, Corky said:

Was anyone really wrong about Vardy at the time? After an initial good start, he did look like a player out of his depth, low on confidence (ridiculous when you look at him now) and well behind the likes of Nugent and Wood in the quality stakes.

Time does allow you to selectively look back at what happened years ago and I'm not going to lie, I thought he wouldn't last with us. 

I think it's unfair to look back and mock people who wrote him off. I'm sure they all are extremely glad to be proven so wrong.

No he didn’t. He looked lacking in confidence and the fans in general got on his back, but overall he wasn’t ‘out of his depth’ but more ‘needing time to adjust’.

I remember coming up to see a game on a cold February night when we played Charlton(Danny Haynes scored the winner I think), we looked poor and I remember talking to few fans in front of me and we’re all saying ‘Vardys finished here, out his depth’ and I kept saying ‘He’d be better than Wood, Wood is poor and we look worse with him in’..low and behold it became a constant thought of mine and our form plummeted since then to the end of the season.

Wood and Kane were mainstays and Vardy barely played for the rest of 12/13.

That Middlesbrough penalty summed it up, I remember thinking ‘well the doubters will love this to add to their argument’.

The only moment I had a slight doubt myself that maybe he won’t make it but at same time thought ‘it would be a shame if he went because I think he has something’.

I didn’t once want him out and always knew he had sheer talent.

As said before, I didn’t believe he would end up anywhere the level he did, however his 13/14-14/15 form I wasn’t suprised 1 bit and was only in 15/16 where I started thinking ‘wow really!?’.

So yeah I think the people who wrote him off and thought he wasn’t good enough for the Championship do need to be mocked because it was obvious at the time that he was good enough. He showed lots of signs of class but a bit raw and inexperience and people were just knee jerk and getting on top of him and trying to jump on every mistake or poor touch and missed the clear potential he had.