Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Judging a players potential far too early

I've just seen an article in the Leicester Mercury about Vontae Daley-Campbell, and it described him as being "Leicester's new star". And as much as I think he was impressive today, I do think it's a bit early to label him as our new star.

But it did get me thinking, was there ever a time when you saw a Leicester player and thought "This guy is going to be huge for us" and he turned out to be a flop? Or even the other way around, has anyone made a terrible first impression on you but then turned out to be a massive success? (Apart from the obvious one - I know a lot of people were not impressed by Vardy's early games for us)

My memory is a bit hazy on this one but I remember watching Peter Canero in the pre season friendly against Inter. Thought he actually had a brilliant game and we'd found the Scottish David Beckham but Craig Levein released him about a week later. Also, looking into him just now I'm surprised he only made 13 appearances for us in all competitions.

• Like 3

Yeah we hype them up way too early and when they inevitably return to mean and have a few games where they play like an inexperienced youngster we tear them down and write them off as useless. 

Happened to Chilwell, Choudhury, Barnes at times and started to notice it being aimed at Luke Thomas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Lzako and Bori (or however you spell their names) were great on their debuts iirc. 

I don't actually recall Laczko having too many bad games for us and was surprised that he wasn't given a permanent contract. Bori did seem to fizzle out though

Jeffrey Bruma was a funny one. The first two games I saw him for us, I thought he was going to be world class. Amazing defender, crazy natural ability and an outstanding reader of the game. 

He's had a good career (you don't get to play 20+ games for Holland if you're shit), but never reached the absolute zenith. He was key to PSV knocking out Man Utd from the Champions League in 2015-16, but that was about it. 

On the flip side, I remember thinking "oh no, surely we can do better than a Villa reject" when we first signed Marc Albrighton. Embarrassing take. What a hero he has been for us!

• Like 1

Diabete looked like a right find against Peterborough but that was about as good as it got for him.

He barely featured after 2017-18. Still though he didn't cost a fortune so no major harm done.

I was a bit surprised that we have a Daley Campbell thread already up last night. He played alright but way too soon for that.

• Like 1

Just glad that we have another player who can do a job at the Premier League Level. Keep them coming because we don't have the money to go out and buy them. Who cares what the media say. They have to eat too.

Seem to recall Ben Mee early days with us on loan from Man City were littered with disastrous errors.......but gone on to be a fairly decent player.

And of course Kramaric who was hyped up but failed to deliver.....but subsequently done well in the Bundesliga

33 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Lzako and Bori (or however you spell their names) were great on their debuts iirc. 

Same game that Martin Allen’s pre match conference he said if his auntie had balls she’d be his uncle. 

2 minutes ago, Monk said:

Same game that Martin Allen’s pre match conference he said if his auntie had balls she’d be his uncle. 

i thought they were Holloway signings....but ive tried hard to forget this period in our history so perhaps my memory is a bit hazy?

• Like 1

If he shined more it was because it was a terrible performance. Whilst it was a great debut for him and he showed real quality at times, I felt he was deflecting from his position at times and with a weak left flank that we had in the game then it was no wonder why Brighton were targeting that flank. Having watched him a lot in the development games he has a great touch and close control but can tend to meander off with the ball at times and had trouble on occasion tracking back. This is not to say that he doesn't have the potential as I think hes quite the raw diamond that needs polishing.

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Check out this forum’s initial assessments of Jamie Vardy early in the 2012-13 season (about page 800 of this sub-forum).

He was, apparently, never going to make it at Championship level, wasn’t enough of a target man and took up the wrong positions.  We needed to play Waghorn and Futacs.

Foxestalk doesn’t have fantastically prescient judgment when it comes to player prospects.

Ironically, he didn't really make it at championship level......he was way to good for that and saved his best for the best! 

To be kind, im sure that's what the critics were meaning......or that's what they are probably claiming now?!?

(PS  in 25 years, ive never yet met anyone who has confessed to being part of the "MO'N-Out" brigade.  Was that all just a figment of my imagination or did those people really exist???)

• Like 1

Ricardo was much maligned on here for his first 5 or so games. It was only after scoring against Everton that the tide began to turn, before people realised he was one of the best full backs in the league over the next 12-18 months.

At the same time, many players were given a long time to prove themselves and never did, e.g. Gray, Schlupp and now Perez. None of these players are terrible, but are very unlikely to suddenly become class acts. Perhaps the only exception was Kramaric who left Leicester to become a top class player. But on these forums a lot of us thought he still had potential, so maybe on that one we got it right!

• Like 1