Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Judging a players potential far too early

For me, the opposite was the case with Andy King. Surprised he broke into the team, stayed there and eventually played a significant part throughout our crazy rise.

He was just not a very exciting player and was very one-paced, which I thought would be too big a flaw to ignore. How wrong I was.

Had big hopes for Ashley Chambers, Joe Dodoo and James Wesolowski, but despite the early big promise, they virtually vanished into the football abyss.

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

This is FT.  Not uncommon for players to be written off within 10 minutes of their Debuts.  In many cases humble pie is eaten in secret.

Majority are written off before they kick a ball for the club and that’s not even an over-exaggeration. 

• Like 1

Judging a player based on a couple of events is one of the most annoying things fans do.

The vast majority had written off Kel because he missed 2 good chances against Palace. Despite him showing previously that he's generally a very good finisher when given chances.

When Thomas made a mistake v Spurs, people wrote him off and decided he was nowhere near the level. Yet will happily brush off mistakes that our more senior players make.

I think it's mainly confirmation bias coming into play. People have their opinions pretty much already laid out then just look for events that confirm it and black out everything else.

With me last night, I assumed Daley-Campbell would be rubbish and look well out of place, because I'd read @Ric Flair's assessment of him from his u23 games. He ended up looking like a competent footballer, although didn't do a great deal. I was looking for mistakes rather than focusing on his performance though.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aleksz said:

Actually think the opposite sometimes, especially on here. Some people have written off the likes of Thomas and Choudhury way too much and way too early. See it all the time in the U23’s thread too.

...I have not noticed anyone writing off Thomas!!!

I would be surprised if that was the case, very surprised if that was the case.

Patrik Gerrbrand springs to mind, in his first few games I thought he looked pretty decent at CB - and then ended up disappearing. Kaebi would be another one who looked interesting and then also vanished very quickly.

On the opposite side I never really rated Jeff Schlupp, every time I saw him in the early days he looked Levi Porter levels of quality (infact he can also go in the former catagory himself) I’ll never forget Yeovil away in the Championship where he came on and looked completely backwards in everything he was doing, but he ended up being very good for us for what he was, scored some vital goals and got control of his chaos a bit - and got us a pretty hefty transfer fee as well

Remember seeing Alexander Tunchev and he was a cut above at that level, cant actually remember what happened to him.

Danny Simpson was an underwhelming signing at the time and he ended up being a solid steady player and PL winner for us.

Numberous players from Marin Allen’s spell and others around that time that fell off the face of a cliff.

This forum has a real hang-up on early judging. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. We are all forming opinions on everyone from before we even meet them. Football is no exception. There’s nowt wrong with that - as long as you’re able to adapt that opinion on an ongoing basis, rather than seek evidence to prove yourself right. My two would be Kante’s debut. I think he got about 15 minutes and it was obvious we had something special.  But also Justin - who on restart last year I was convinced would never make it. My opinion has changed dramatically in the case of the latter example! 

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

i thought they were Holloway signings....but ive tried hard to forget this period in our history so perhaps my memory is a bit hazy?

You're right, my memory mixing up the events of that fateful year!

I remember us signing some guy called Fernando Pasquinelli back in 2000 and I was well excited cos he was Argentinian. I remember around the end of the 90's early 2000's playing champ man and there were loads of great young Argentinian players like Saviola, Aimar, Riquelme and even Cambiasso, so I was well excited for this guy and he never played a single game. Remember keep saying to my dad, when are we going to play that Argentinian lad. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Case in point in the below thread - albeit this thread seems to link in more with younger players than Vardy at the time.

Cant judge some of the posters wanting us to sell though as we've all got it wrong from time to time.

Wow. 

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

The obvious one for me is Junior Lewis. I was at that game and honestly thought he looked world class haha.

This is the winner by a long way. Think it was his home debut against Chelsea. Looked totally comfortable against a good side and was a big part of the reason we won the game. Went on to be probably the worst Leicester player of the last 25 years and for those lucky enough never to see him play that is not hyperbole!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

This is the winner by a long way. Think it was his home debut against Chelsea. Looked totally comfortable against a good side and was a big part of the reason we won the game. Went on to be probably the worst Leicester player of the last 25 years and for those lucky enough never to see him play that is not hyperbole!

Haha he genuinely looked great. I was at uni at the time and took a few of my housemates (one Liverpool fan, one Man Utd and one who wasn’t really into football) and everyone came out talking about how good he was. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Case in point in the below thread - albeit this thread seems to link in more with younger players than Vardy at the time.

Cant judge some of the posters wanting us to sell though as we've all got it wrong from time to time.

I bet some on here wish that thread had been deleted lol

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Pleased that despite starting the thread I didn’t post anything that made me look like an idiot lol

I do remember completely laying into Vardy after he gave away a penalty in the last minute against Middlesbrough and saying he’ll never start for us again. Delighted that he absolutely proved me wrong and made me look a right mug for questioning him!

2 hours ago, shen said:

For me, the opposite was the case with Andy King. Surprised he broke into the team, stayed there and eventually played a significant part throughout our crazy rise.

He was just not a very exciting player and was very one-paced, which I thought would be too big a flaw to ignore. How wrong I was.

Had big hopes for Ashley Chambers, Joe Dodoo and James Wesolowski, but despite the early big promise, they virtually vanished into the football abyss.

Never really recovered from his injury(ies) really, but I also thought he'd go far.

I used to see him out on runs in Blaby before we moved a year or so ago. Took me a while to work out why I recognised him, thankfully didn't ask him where I recognised him from.

I was only young when he broke through, but I'm fairly sure there was a lot of hype around Jordan Stewart too. In fairness he had a fairly good career, but he definitely didn't solve the England left side crisis. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Wow. That's from another world. Not just the embarrassing comments about Vardy, but the money involved (£1m being a lot to spend on a player, £5k p/w wages) and the dross people wanted us to sign.

Thankfully, I hadn't commented in that thread. I can't remember ever slagging Vardy off, though. I can remember thinking early on that he had good work rate and could turn out to be decent. Obviously, I could never have predicted him becoming one of the greatest strikers on the planet.