Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScotFox1

Leicesters Long Gone and Missing Pubs

@pubhistoryproject (exclusively Leicester pubs) on Instagram is depressing. There was hundreds at one point - not sure if it was the all time cumulative total or at the active peak but 800 pubs is a figure that rings a bell 🤯

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

@pubhistoryproject

This is a fascinating insight and a historical record of so many City/Leicestershire pubs and in many cases, includes photographs. Excellent find.:thumbup:

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

It

7B1A71E7-2B34-4D28-B02D-8021F726D9F3.jpeg

Used to live up the road from here. Often nipped in for a pint. Decent boozer, and maybe not as bad as the Midland, further down the Saff. Rough as R.Soles.  Irish bloke called Leary ran it for a while. Few nights passed without a punch-up. 

Edited by Stoopid

• 2 years later...
On 05/03/2021 at 21:16, Stoopid said:

Used to live up the road from here. Often nipped in for a pint. Decent boozer, and maybe not as bad as the Midland, further down the Saff. Rough as R.Soles.  Irish bloke called Leary ran it for a while. Few nights passed without a punch-up. 

Did he have 2 sons?  I recall as a kid getting to know two lads who lived in the midland and they were Irish. Have a feeling one of them was pretty unwell at one time 

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Is that new sports bar any good at the Holiday Inn next to the stadium?

Any "sports bar" is gonna be shite. 

Unless you like ice cold beer of any type. Lager maybe but otherwise, no thanks.

Ice cold John Smiths? Boddingtons.? Already crap. Making them ice cold doesn't make any improvement other than the cold masks the poor flavour.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Saw there was a shitty 'English' pub called Empire in Bologna yesterday. 

Made me think of the Empire - that was an interesting evening as a 18 yr old. 

The popularity of British pub grub and beer in Italian cities never ceases to amaze me

Any 60-75yr old..

Take top of Victoria Park the major drag into the city over Granby street,finish at Abbey park..taking in every single side street. Just 60 yards

Clock Tower over Belgrave gate right until end of Melton Road,taking in every side street just 60 yards..

Plus any parallel street,like Charles street.

Then the then city suburbs,and cross streets and ways,from filbert street to the Mag.

Every block or corner had a well clienteled pub. AND fish n chip shop,before & after

“Indian Town“  Take Swiss Cottage,across Humberstone gate, doing the backstreets beyond the back of the train station…

Jesus the amount of pubs,cafes,fish n chip shops I knew though not visiting all from the 1950s, right upto just the beginning of the 80s.

.West Indians/oriental-Asians/ Indian continent.-Asians First taking up these watering holes and sharing with their new host locals,then some taking over as landlords themselves…Some keeping to old tradition others reinventing..And not one in my memory for the worst…Some dives became better visited watering holes,some served their new communities..some became the new fad cafes or restaurants…

But my god there were a bloody great amount of pubs,cafes, & Fish n chips shops.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

The popularity of British pub grub and beer in Italian cities never ceases to amaze me

I've found that there isn't much of bar culture in Italy, I'll defer to your knowledge on the matter but I've mostly drank in cafes, restaurants and Irish pubs whenever I've been.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I've found that there isn't much of bar culture in Italy, I'll defer to your knowledge on the matter but I've mostly drank in cafes, restaurants and Irish pubs whenever I've been.

Tbf it's not huge but youngish Italians do like an ale and a 'British pub meal' in my experience. Especially in studenty cities like the aforementioned Bologna. Anglophilia is surprisingly strong in Italy. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Tbf it's not huge but youngish Italians do like an ale and a 'British pub meal' in my experience. Especially in studenty cities like the aforementioned Bologna. Anglophilia is surprisingly strong in Italy. 

I suppose the youth unemployment in Italy is so bad they’ve either lived or studied here. At the very least lots will have friends or family that do.

“We’re not liked abroad, nobody likes us Brits” has never rang true in my opinion. Germans and Russians are far colder, anecdotally.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I suppose the youth unemployment in Italy is so bad they’ve either lived or studied here. At the very least lots will have friends or family that do.

“We’re not liked abroad, nobody likes us Brits” has never rang true in my opinion. Germans and Russians are far colder, anecdotally.

Yeah our soft power is still unmatched in Europe although we don't do anything with it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2021 at 09:33, ScotFox1 said:

Seeing as were on a countdown to be able to visit our favourite watering-holes again, spare a thought for those that are long gone (and heaven forbid, may never open again).  As a muso, I was always fond of The Magazine, the Pump and Tap and the Charlotte.  For pure design aesthetics, the Black Boy was art-deco heaven!!

Gone but never forgotten!

P&T.jpg

Charlotte.jpg

The Magazine.jpg

Spent a few happy years hanging out in the back room  of The Mag , probably  mid to late 70s. 

Welsh Tim used to keep it then , you could take your own albums down and if Mick or Kev behind the bar liked them too they would put them on the turntable.