Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScotFox1

Leicesters Long Gone and Missing Pubs

3 hours ago, MPH said:

i was told that the Durham Ox in Wymeswold was quite a party scene late 80s early 90s... Its now a Christian rehabilitation center which is probably full of the people who used to party there in the late 80s and early 90s 

By the mid-late 90s it had become one of the biggest biker meet ups in the Midlands next to the Basset's Pole, rebranding itself as Route 46. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MPH said:

i was told that the Durham Ox in Wymeswold was quite a party scene late 80s early 90s... Its now a Christian rehabilitation center which is probably full of the people who used to party there in the late 80s and early 90s 

Personally think it's not in the best of locations - next to a busy A-road..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 08:53, The Syrup said:

Is the Crows Nest on Glenfield Rd still a pub or a kids theme park these days? Went past it for the first time in years recently, looked rather different from when it was my local in the 90s. Bouncy castles and fake palm trees everywhere.

Kids theme park by day, marching powder by night.

5 hours ago, MPH said:

Showaddywaddy played there around 1976-ish. It went uphill from there. lol

My best recollection of the Durham was when my mate, who owned an Austin Allegro, drove 6 of us there (and I'm talking 2 front seat passengers, one sitting on the other's lap, and 4 in the back, no seatbelts on anyone) after a piss-up in the Tavern In The Town. This was before the severe crackdown on D&D.

Fun times. 

Edited by Parafox

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Showaddywaddy played there around 1976-ish. It went uphill from there. lol

My best recollection of the Durham was when my mate, who owned an Austin Allegro, drove 6 of us there (and I'm talking 2 front seat passengers, one sitting on the other's lap, and 4 in the back, no seatbelts on anyone) after a piss-up in the Tavern In The Town. This was before the severe crackdown on D&D.

Fun times. 

came accross this the other day. Now one of your wild parties was it?!? Not sure if the year.. 82 seems a bit early so I’m guessing  93 is the next option?

IMG_4630.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MPH said:

Stopped off there en route to Forest away (the Clive Clarke game). Recall it being busy.

• Like 1

My brother took me to my first pub in 1987 called the Uppingham(The Uppy!) on guess where? Uppingham Road!

Whilst we were there( and i swear on my kids life this isnt a Tommy G made up story!!) 2 geezers who my brother knew, came in with a trolley, said alight mate to my brother and a few other and took the slot machine!!!

looking back now, MAYBE they were from the slot machine company!!!

Anyway, its now a run down temple(sorry god!)

image.thumb.png.603f8f925fcef363bfbe5f90ea7a7f91.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

came accross this the other day. Now one of your wild parties was it?!? Not sure if the year.. 82 seems a bit early so I’m guessing  93 is the next option?

IMG_4630.jpeg

Hot supper normally consisted of faggots and mushy peas

16 minutes ago, Raj said:

My brother took me to my first pub in 1987 called the Uppingham(The Uppy!) on guess where? Uppingham Road!

Whilst we were there( and i swear on my kids life this isnt a Tommy G made up story!!) 2 geezers who my brother knew, came in with a trolley, said alight mate to my brother and a few other and took the slot machine!!!

looking back now, MAYBE they were from the slot machine company!!!

Anyway, its now a run down temple(sorry god!)

image.thumb.png.603f8f925fcef363bfbe5f90ea7a7f91.png

Used to be my local

1 hour ago, Raj said:

When was that?

I grew up there in the 80's, lived off Overton Road!

i used to drink in the bar at the back in the early 80's, think Jock used to run it