Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScotFox1

Leicesters Long Gone and Missing Pubs

I can't drive/walk past where The Charlotte used to be without picturing 'the canal walk' that we used to do on a Friday night from Birstall into town with whatever was on offer in the local off license to watch some unknown indie band and then get the last bus home.  

• Like 4

The first pub I ever went in to was 'The City Arms on Saffron Lane for a party when I was about 5. Just remember the big dog wandering around on the roof and how rough it seemed. Trying to find out what year it was closed and replaced by Iceland but can't find any information. 

The Black Boy was one that got that Darth Vader "Noooooooooo!" response from me as I dropped to my knees in horror. "Oh well at least 70's bar is still (turns round)....Noooooooo!" It's not just buildings it's the atmosphere's and memories (when memories are possible - not from every night out!)

Can't wait to resume pre-match banter in the Kings Head ASAP, though the thought of being packed in like sardines anywhere after so much distancing seems surreal at the moment.

4 hours ago, ScotFox1 said:

Seeing as were on a countdown to be able to visit our favourite watering-holes again, spare a thought for those that are long gone (and heaven forbid, may never open again).  As a muso, I was always fond of The Magazine, the Pump and Tap and the Charlotte.  For pure design aesthetics, the Black Boy was art-deco heaven!!

Gone but never forgotten!

P&T.jpg

Charlotte.jpg

The Magazine.jpg

Good memories of the Charlotte, even before Andy Wright's time (when it became a serious music pub). They used to run a football team, Newarke Wanderers, who I played against a few times. Also the Mag - a pretty unique place - some great parties in that upstairs room. Used to put on bands (and comedy too) up there too. Also Tjinder Singh (Cornershop) worked behind the bar for a while. Good boozer for a few pints before (and after) the match. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScotFox1 said:

Seeing as were on a countdown to be able to visit our favourite watering-holes again, spare a thought for those that are long gone (and heaven forbid, may never open again).  As a muso, I was always fond of The Magazine, the Pump and Tap and the Charlotte.  For pure design aesthetics, the Black Boy was art-deco heaven!!

Gone but never forgotten!

P&T.jpg

Charlotte.jpg

The Magazine.jpg

Really miss the Mag. Often wonder where the regulars have all gone. Occasionally I bump into one. Like meeting a long long friend. Even people I didn't have much to do with at the time. 

Remember the Charlotte well before it became a music venue. Particularly Friday nights playing Bragg during a lock in. I actually won a game once! Just as the landlord had said that'll be the last hand. 

4 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

The Rocket, Empire and Two Triangles proper boozers

My auntie used to live opposite the TTs - the noises coming out of that place haha. Is the Sportman still going down Park View?

We had a good chat on here about how rammed Sanvey Gate/Woodgate/Frog Island used to be. I can rememeber Robin Hood, Friar Tuck but always think how quality that outdoor bit of the Cricketers must have been overlooking the river. 

Cracking photos here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjyMZFDc

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, enmac said:

Really miss the Mag. Often wonder where the regulars have all gone. Occasionally I bump into one. Like meeting a long long friend. Even people I didn't have much to do with at the time. 

Remember the Charlotte well before it became a music venue. Particularly Friday nights playing Bragg during a lock in. I actually won a game once! Just as the landlord had said that'll be the last hand. 

Spent a lot of time - too much, on reflection - in the Mag. 

Nowhere quite like it. Actually nowhere remotely like it. Some of the best and worst times I ever had took place within its smoke-smeared walls. 

Lot of mates there - still see some, but as you imply, its closure left a lot of lost souls vainly searching Leicester for another spiritual home. 

The kind of place that doesn't really exist anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My auntie used to leave opposite the TTs - the noises coming out of that place haha. Is the Sportman still going down Park View?

We had a good chat on here about how rammed Sanvey Gate/Woodgate/Frog Island used to be. I can rememeber Robin Hood, Friar Tuck but always think how quality that outdoor bit of the Cricketers must have been overlooking the river. 

Cracking photos here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjyMZFDc

I Crawled them all....:)

The Carousel. Charles St opposite the old police station. Now demolished to make way for the inner ring road. I was DJ there for 3 years in the mid-late 70's. An absolutely craic every weekend. Fantastic owners/atmosphere/customers. We had regular people come down from Sheffield every Friday, it was that good. Some of the best experiences of my life were had there.

If anyone can recall those days, my DJ name was Nick Ross.

Edited by Parafox

8 hours ago, Rain King said:

The first pub I ever went in to was 'The City Arms on Saffron Lane for a party when I was about 5. Just remember the big dog wandering around on the roof and how rough it seemed. Trying to find out what year it was closed and replaced by Iceland but can't find any information. 

It

7B1A71E7-2B34-4D28-B02D-8021F726D9F3.jpeg