Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

8 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Me too. Even a seasoned pro surely wouldn’t relish the prospect of facing a fast and skilful baller who could embarrass you. That fear is what you want. 

Survival of the fittest. Nobody wants a squad who are not pushing the edge competitively. Since we don't have top six spending power it's the only way we succeed.

Regardless of whether BR is still at the helm or not I think we need a good refresh in the summer. For me the following can go;

Danny Ward - Had previously been reliable when we've needed him in the cup but for me we can probably get a decent fee for him and bring in or promote a younger backup keeper. 

Soyuncu - For me he's not been the same player the last 2 seasons. If injuries weren't an issue he'd be nowhere near the team at the minute.

Amartey - I think he's been great when called upon this season but in reality I think we can do better, too many silly mistakes now and then and we've got so many better options in his natural positions.

Bertrand - Simple, looks like he came here purely for a final payday. Legs are gone.

Vestergaard - Not sure what happened to him, he seemed ok at Soton and had a good Euros but BR clearly doesn't rate him and he's got zero confidence by the sounds of it.

Tielemans - Heads gone and he's ready to go judging by his performances. A shame but if he's not hungry to win at Leicester there's no point delaying the inevitable.

Hamza - Always rated him when he first came through but seems happy to just go along for the ride at the minute. Always seems to be there when there's some controversy as well - need someone who'll bust a gut to try and get in the first team and he just doesn't seem to have that.

Soumare - A shame, looked a bit of a Rolls-Royce player when I first saw him play some good touches and movement etc. but another one that doesn't seem to have the drive or hunger to want to do well enough to fight for and stay in the first XI. Could be wrong on this one and he might just need more time to settle but I just have a gut feeling he's not happy here.

Albrighton - Absolutely love the guy he always has and still does give 110% for the team. I just feel like we need new options now - he's not one I think you can bring off the bench to affect games, not like he used to anyway.

Perez - Not good enough for me. Always seems like he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team and has never really clicked. A lot will say he's never really had a chance in his preferred position but he doesn't strike me as someone who would suddenly transform into a regular goal scorer.

Lookman - Some great performances here and there but so often just goes missing. I think we can get better.

In terms of bringing players in, where do I start. We need a couple of CB's, Fofana is the one to build around and Evans will most likely not play consistently once he's back. We need a new LB who can match what we have on the right in Pereira/JJ/Castange. Some wide players or naturally left and right sided forwards. Players that are actually playing in those positions we want now, it feels like we always just try and mould people into these positions. We also need another Ndidi type player in CM, but someone who can offer real leadership and have an effect on the rest of the team on the pitch, push the play forward etc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Amartey - I think he's been great when called upon this season but in reality I think we can do better, too many silly mistakes now and then and we've got so many better options in his natural positions.

Soumare - A shame, looked a bit of a Rolls-Royce player when I first saw him play some good touches and movement etc. but another one that doesn't seem to have the drive or hunger to want to do well enough to fight for and stay in the first XI. Could be wrong on this one and he might just need more time to settle but I just have a gut feeling he's not happy here.

Albrighton - Absolutely love the guy he always has and still does give 110% for the team. I just feel like we need new options now - he's not one I think you can bring off the bench to affect games, not like he used to anyway.

Lookman - Some great performances here and there but so often just goes missing. I think we can get better.

Agree on most, but not these.

Soumare -. Have not been impressed by him at all, but I think we'd find it difficult to get rid of him at the moment.

Albrighton and Amartey - I would keep purely on the basis of covering injuries. Neither should be starting at this point, but you're never going to get world class players to sit on the bench. They're good enough to do a job for a couple of games in an emergency.

Lookman - He is hit and miss, but I think most wingers are. He's had some poor games, but in general I think he's good enough as at least a super-sub or as a rotation option.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Agree on most, but not these.

Soumare -. Have not been impressed by him at all, but I think we'd find it difficult to get rid of him at the moment.

Albrighton and Amartey - I would keep purely on the basis of covering injuries. Neither should be starting at this point, but you're never going to get world class players to sit on the bench. They're good enough to do a job for a couple of games in an emergency.

Lookman - He is hit and miss, but I think most wingers are. He's had some poor games, but in general I think he's good enough as at least a super-sub or as a rotation option.

I'd definitely like to be wrong about Soumare. He looked like a beast in the French league and I was initially impressed with him when he first joined. I don't know, maybe it's just body language but he doesn't seem like he's bothered, also seems like an outsider to the squad.

I know what you mean with Amartey and Albrighton, definitely perfect for cover and to sit on the bench as you mention, and that's perfectly fine for when we need to see out games or take off tired players in the last 15/20 mins. However, we have no plan B for when we're behind in games or need an extra goal and if those two can't make an impact when required, surely we should look at the academy or bring in some potentially hungrier players who could, to fill those spots in the squad, no? 

8 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Regardless of whether BR is still at the helm or not I think we need a good refresh in the summer. For me the following can go;

Danny Ward - Had previously been reliable when we've needed him in the cup but for me we can probably get a decent fee for him and bring in or promote a younger backup keeper. 

Soyuncu - For me he's not been the same player the last 2 seasons. If injuries weren't an issue he'd be nowhere near the team at the minute.

Bertrand - Simple, looks like he came here purely for a final payday. Legs are gone.

Vestergaard - Not sure what happened to him, he seemed ok at Soton and had a good Euros but BR clearly doesn't rate him and he's got zero confidence by the sounds of it.

Tielemans - Heads gone and he's ready to go judging by his performances. A shame but if he's not hungry to win at Leicester there's no point delaying the inevitable.

Hamza - Always rated him when he first came through but seems happy to just go along for the ride at the minute. Always seems to be there when there's some controversy as well - need someone who'll bust a gut to try and get in the first team and he just doesn't seem to have that.

Perez - Not good enough for me. Always seems like he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team and has never really clicked. A lot will say he's never really had a chance in his preferred position but he doesn't strike me as someone who would suddenly transform into a regular goal scorer.

In terms of bringing players in, where do I start. We need a couple of CB's, Fofana is the one to build around and Evans will most likely not play consistently once he's back. We need a new LB who can match what we have on the right in Pereira/JJ/Castange. Some wide players or naturally left and right sided forwards. Players that are actually playing in those positions we want now, it feels like we always just try and mould people into these positions. We also need another Ndidi type player in CM, but someone who can offer real leadership and have an effect on the rest of the team on the pitch, push the play forward etc. 

Bit too much of an overhaul that. Hamza, Albrighton and Amartey are good back up options you'd might as well keep. Too early to write Soumare off too. I'd also keep Lookman if it were say £12m or less

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Linked with Alex Scott at Bristol City, 18 years old, mainly plays attacking mid but can also play right mid or deeper

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-everton-and-leicester-city-set-sights-on-alex-scott-after-transfer-mission/

Seen a lot of Bristol City over the last two seasons and he's really stood out to me. Very composed, never looks rushed and great ball control. He's known as the Guernsey Grealish, although I'm pretty sure that's mainly because he wears his socks really low and he loves to go to ground when there's a slight breeze.

He does like a tackle though. He's played a lot at RWB and although it's clearly not his natural position it shows he's got a bit about him defensively as well as going forwards.

Surely Big Nige can put in a good word for us!

What this team is crying out for more than anything else is a leader, with mentality one of the biggest issues in the side at the minute. As much as he divides opinion, Jordan Henderson is a real leader, has a great engine and in general is just a nightmare to play against. You know he will be in the refs face, in the opposition face and barking orders. Even if he’s not the most technically gifted in that side, there’s a reason Klopp has him as his captain and almost always plays him. Why Kane is England captain and not Henderson I’ll never know, Henderson is a winner as well having won the Campions League and Premier League, compared to Kanes golden boot trophy cabinet. 

Hopefully in time KDH can become that for us. Someone to do the grunt work and lead by example. But who is there out there now who could come in and demand respect, and lead by example preferably from the middle of the park or CB? 

Witsel - Available on a free, and over 120 international caps. 
Ginter - Another out of contract in the summer and over 40 caps for Germany. 

Not sure who else is out there with the requisite experience/ leadership qualities? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

What this team is crying out for more than anything else is a leader, with mentality one of the biggest issues in the side at the minute. As much as he divides opinion, Jordan Henderson is a real leader, has a great engine and in general is just a nightmare to play against. You know he will be in the refs face, in the opposition face and barking orders. Even if he’s not the most technically gifted in that side, there’s a reason Klopp has him as his captain and almost always plays him. Why Kane is England captain and not Henderson I’ll never know, Henderson is a winner as well having won the Campions League and Premier League, compared to Kanes golden boot trophy cabinet. 

Hopefully in time KDH can become that for us. Someone to do the grunt work and lead by example. But who is there out there now who could come in and demand respect, and lead by example preferably from the middle of the park or CB? 

Witsel - Available on a free, and over 120 international caps. 
Ginter - Another out of contract in the summer and over 40 caps for Germany. 

Not sure who else is out there with the requisite experience/ leadership qualities? 

Agree. A Matt Elliott, Rob Huth style character is absolutely vital. Someone who does the leadership/bollocking bit that clearly isn't being done by anyone else in the club.

@Muzzy_LarssonWe can give you a crocked Bertrand and a lamp post called Vestergaard? Deal?

https://tbrfootball.com/romano-says-leicester-and-others-want-celtic-star-juranovic/

Fabrizio Romano has told The Here We Go Podcast that a number of clubs, including Leicester City, are exploring a move for Celtic full-back Josip Juranovic ahead of the summer.

Juranovic has proved to be an inspired signing for Celtic. The 26-year-old has featured in a number of roles for the Hoops. And he has already contributed four goals for Ange Postecoglou’s men.

It says a lot that many seemed to feel that Juranovic was man of the match in last week’s Old Firm game. The win sent Celtic top of the Scottish Premiership, with Reo Hatate scoring twice for the home side at Parkhead.

Nevertheless, many felt that the Croatia international was the real star of the show. Ally McCoist labelled his performance ‘outstanding‘.

Unfortunately for Celtic, it would appear that Juranovic’s form is not going unnoticed. Romano has suggested that a host of sides now want the full-back, with Brendan Rodgers amongst the managers seemingly taking note of his performances. 

“Juranovic is a very interesting name to keep an eye on. Leicester, but not only Leicester. This is the right-back playing for Celtic. His price will be around €10, €12-€15 million,” he told The Here We Go Podcast.

“But this boy is doing great with Celtic. He’s performing at the top level. I have a feeling that in the summer, he will have a chance to move. I’m told many clubs are exploring this opportunity.”

28 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

@Muzzy_LarssonWe can give you a crocked Bertrand and a lamp post called Vestergaard? Deal?

https://tbrfootball.com/romano-says-leicester-and-others-want-celtic-star-juranovic/

Fabrizio Romano has told The Here We Go Podcast that a number of clubs, including Leicester City, are exploring a move for Celtic full-back Josip Juranovic ahead of the summer.

Juranovic has proved to be an inspired signing for Celtic. The 26-year-old has featured in a number of roles for the Hoops. And he has already contributed four goals for Ange Postecoglou’s men.

It says a lot that many seemed to feel that Juranovic was man of the match in last week’s Old Firm game. The win sent Celtic top of the Scottish Premiership, with Reo Hatate scoring twice for the home side at Parkhead.

Nevertheless, many felt that the Croatia international was the real star of the show. Ally McCoist labelled his performance ‘outstanding‘.

Unfortunately for Celtic, it would appear that Juranovic’s form is not going unnoticed. Romano has suggested that a host of sides now want the full-back, with Brendan Rodgers amongst the managers seemingly taking note of his performances. 

“Juranovic is a very interesting name to keep an eye on. Leicester, but not only Leicester. This is the right-back playing for Celtic. His price will be around €10, €12-€15 million,” he told The Here We Go Podcast.

“But this boy is doing great with Celtic. He’s performing at the top level. I have a feeling that in the summer, he will have a chance to move. I’m told many clubs are exploring this opportunity.”

FFS! I hope not!

How we got this guy, a croatian international right back for £2.5m in the first place is really beyond me, he's an absolute class act.

Would take more than he's saying for us to sell imo, he's got 4 years to go on his deal, I'd be wanting £20m and I think we could get that quite comfortably.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

FFS! I hope not!

How we got this guy, a croatian international right back for £2.5m in the first place is really beyond me, he's an absolute class act.

Would take more than he's saying for us to sell imo, he's got 4 years to go on his deal, I'd be wanting £20m and I think we could get that quite comfortably.

Can you tell us anymore about him? :P Is he an attacking wingback or more defensive minded? 

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Can you tell us anymore about him? :P Is he an attacking wingback or more defensive minded? 

He's attacking in the main but he's also defensively sound also, I get he's not tested defensively as much up here as he would be in a better league obviously. He's just one of these guys that's an all round very good footballer, technically excellent, can pass, run past players, great delivery and is good from set pieces too. He's already our first choice penalty taker. I'd honestly be gutted to lose him so soon but I'm not surprised teams are taking notice of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just noticed the first part, a firm no to both lol 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

FFS! I hope not!

Do you really think you'd comfortably get more than 20m for him?

He starts the next season as a 27 year old and has never played higher than the SPL.

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

FFS! I hope not!

Can play both sides as well can't he?

We seem to like having full backs who can play both sides

54 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can play both sides as well can't he?

We seem to like having full backs who can play both sides

....it always feels as if that ability causes more inconsistency that helps the team!!!

If Ricardo was only proficient on the Right and Castagne on the left then we will have a consistent set up as opposed to players turning up in different positions. Previously It has always been a good thing, if a player could jump into another position within a game, it seems flexibility is now a desired trait, horses for courses would serve us better I would think.

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Do you really think you'd comfortably get more than 20m for him?

He starts the next season as a 27 year old and has never played higher than the SPL.

We got close to that for Edouard and Ajer, both of whom had never played outside Scotland, who both only had a year on their deal.

Juranovic is now pretty much first choice RB for one of the best nations in world football. He has four years left on his contract so we don't have to sell him unless we get a very good offer. £20m isn't a lot of money for EPL teams really.

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Celtic just signed Juranovic last year for 2.5m, and now some are suggesting we pay Celtic 20m for him. 

Why didn't we sign him last year? We seem to be interested when there already playing great for other teams and their price rockets up

Not talking about Juranovic specifically but I don't think any club can really take that attitude in terms of signing a player. If he's the right player, represents value then you can't elect not to just because he went for a paltry sum a short while previous and you missed out.

Crystal Palace got burned similarly with Virgil Van Dijk. They thought he was overpriced as we wanted £12m for him as he'd only played in Scotland and cost us £2.5m. Little over two years later he goes to Liverpool for £75m and becomes at one time arguably the best centre back in the world.

I'm not saying Juranovic is that good but the principle still stands.

• Like 2