Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just a thought, is it possible that Tavares is actually just training with Porto B, as opposed to being signed as a professional player!!!

No games so far and no contract end dates, leave me to believe this is a short-term situation. 

Screenshot_20220204-102602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28679aebf921fbfe5975446fdf87d17a.jpgScreenshot_20220204-102602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28679aebf921fbfe5975446fdf87d17a.jpgScreenshot_20220204-102602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28679aebf921fbfe5975446fdf87d17a.jpg

He's been injured for a few months. He's back now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just seen that Anel Ahmedhodzic got a January move to Bordeaux on loan with an option to buy from Malmo FF. We can moan all we like about there not being any defenders out there that fit our profile this winter but he was absolutely it down to a tee. Easily would have got a work permit as well due to Champions League exploits and international appearances this season.

The lad is an absolute warrior and so good on the ball. Fuming.

Hopefully Bordeaux get relegated and we can be in the mix for him in the summer. Stupidity on our part.

Shame on us for not even being linked 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, that is my gut feeling. Although @Babylon pointed out that nothing has really changed. We've never really taken that many players from unproven leagues. But it does feel we are missing a trick given finances are getting much tighter here. We are trapped with our current protocol.

This lad on loan with an option to buy was a no brainer. I cannot believe he's ended up at Bordeaux.

....just incase anyone is wondering who this player is...he looks and plays like Benkovic, he is very good when going to ground, the thing is I thought in that respect, Benkovic was even better!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...do you get the feeling that our perspective has changed in relation to acquiring players!!!

Has Rudkin now decided we no longer need to be looking into the bargain bins and need to be looking into proven players which carries a higher price.

There are terrific potential outthere for £10m, but have to gamble that they will come through. 

It entirely depends on the makeup of the squad at the time. We aren’t going to buy a 21 year old defender if we already have 5 21 year old defenders for instance.

We needed a younger striker and we went to get one. He might not have cost ) £10m, but it was still a gamble on an improved player.

We went out and spent £30m on an unproven young CB before that.

Other than GK and maybe CB depending on Soyuncus intentions, we aren’t crying out with a need to bring the age down in certain areas. Or experience for that matter. 

• Like 2

There's so much value in Scandinavia, Central Europe and the Balkans. Adam Hlozek still hasn't got a move yet, 5 goals, 10 assists in 1509 minutes this season lol 

Found another Czech gem, this kid isn't 18 yet 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

Sure it might be too far out of our reach but is it too late to get Tagliafico?   

Id be chuffed with him Ricardo and Justin as options. With a young cover like Ramsey.  

Wouldnt be against pulling liverpools arm for TsmikiClass either. 

Edited by Lambert09

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Sure it might be too far out of our reach but is it too late to get Tagliafico?   

Id be chuffed with him Ricardo and Justin as options. With a young cover like Ramsey.  

Wouldnt be against pulling liverpools arm for TsmikiClass either. 

Rather see how Thomas progressed 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Captain for Mainz, French mate for Fofana and contract ending in 2023.

Get him signed up !!

Left footed as well. I think we really need a left sided centre half.

Don't like us in a back five but it's largely because our left side playing it is a shitshow.

40 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You’ve got to be very careful with stats from other leagues because often times they translate badly. Jadon Sancho, Romelu Lukaku and Hakim Ziyech had outrageous stats in their respective leagues but have been damp squibs here. Patson Daka on the other hand has been great.

There’s been tons of players suggested by forum members on here over the years that have gone onto do nothing. In fact over the last 5 seasons the only one I could really think that we missed out on is Jarod Bowen and even then it’s not like he’s a regular England international. It’s a fun game to play - being a real life Football Manager / Scout, but in reality we suck at it whereas the club have a proven track record of finding undervalued gems even in the Congerton era such as JJ and Fofana. 

The rebuild makes me nervous because it’s so easy to get wrong. If I were a betting man, I think we’ll go back to being a 7-12th place team for a few seasons until the stadium improvements are complete. 

Numbers in weaker leagues have to be taken with a pinch of salt, yeah. Near enough very good player in the planet started out in a weaker league than the prem though. Any stats have to be viewed in context but there’s some players obviously destined for the top.

Hlozek is 19, he’s made 90 apps scored 30 goals and got 23 assists playing anywhere across a front 3. Plus he’s rapid for somebody so tall.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You’ve got to be very careful with stats from other leagues because often times they translate badly. Jadon Sancho, Romelu Lukaku and Hakim Ziyech had outrageous stats in their respective leagues but have been damp squibs here. Patson Daka on the other hand has been great.

There’s been tons of players suggested by forum members on here over the years that have gone onto do nothing. In fact over the last 5 seasons the only one I could really think that we missed out on is Jarod Bowen and even then it’s not like he’s a regular England international. It’s a fun game to play - being a real life Football Manager / Scout, but in reality we suck at it whereas the club have a proven track record of finding undervalued gems even in the Congerton era such as JJ and Fofana. 

The rebuild makes me nervous because it’s so easy to get wrong. If I were a betting man, I think we’ll go back to being a 7-12th place team for a few seasons until the stadium improvements are complete.

Agreed. There's a lot more to it than just stats.

I think the rebuild could turn out to be a good thing. Over the last 10 years, we've got a lot more transfers right than wrong. This could be an opportunity to push on. Just depends how many signings we get right. If we can find a few more like JJ/Daka/Fofana, then we could be laughing. Of course, it could go badly, but there's no point worrying about it until we see who we sign and how they settle in. Even if the signings aren't the best, I think there are some very promising players coming through the academy. Will be interesting to see how they progress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Is it bad that I'd actually be okay with this? I've always said I would like us to become the Sevilla of the Premier League, with excellent talent acquisition (plus youth) and regularly doing well in the Europa League with that mix of scouted talent and homegrown lads.

Champions League would be an incredible achievement, but I think we've missed our chance for the next few years. We should be aiming for 5th-9th each season, IMHO, and being competitive in Europe.

Thats optimal for me. With the added benefit of punching above our weight every three or four years as we continue to strengthen our squad. Like riding waves. I enjoy the transitions and watching the build. Have zero interest in following a top 4 club where there's no room for younger players.

56 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Same here. Newcastle fans are giddy with their new found riches but I’d hate for us to become a mega bucks club. I love clubs like Ajax, Dortmund and Sporting who heavily rely on their academies. 

Rodgers is in everyone’s bad books but the guy is phenomenal with young talent. If we are rebuilding and promoting from the academy you’d be far pressed to find anyone better in world football to do a better job than him. Rodgers developing a player with as much natural flair and talent as Will Alves is a mouthwatering prospect. 

After watching Rodgers with Sterling if Alves has got it you"ll see it sooner than later.:cool:

21 hours ago, SO1 said:

After watching Rodgers with Sterling if Alves has got it you"ll see it sooner than later.:cool:

Would it be bonkers to bring Alves into the first time squad next season? 
Seem to remember a wiry 17 year old Giggs terrorising the opposition with his pace and skill. Maybe we don’t take enough risks on youth these days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Away Move said:

Would it be bonkers to bring Alves into the first time squad next season? 
Seem to remember a wiry 17 year old Giggs terrorising the opposition with his pace and skill. Maybe we don’t take enough risks on youth these days.  

That's the fun for me. You never know.