Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

28 minutes ago, Royston. said:

What did you do for him?

Had a can of Dr Pepper in my bag so sat him up and gave him that, got talking to him asking him basic questions and as he got more with it I gave him a cigarette and a bloke came along saying oh not this again let me sort this out and when I was happy he wasn’t going to die carried on my way.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Had a can of Dr Pepper in my bag so sat him up and gave him that, got talking to him asking him basic questions and as he got more with it I gave him a cigarette and a bloke came along saying oh not this again let me sort this out and when I was happy he wasn’t going to die carried on my way.

:appl:

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh man, I wouldn’t feel confident approaching anyone who’s off their trolley on who knows what. Often give food to homeless sober people, pre covid got to know emma outside my office quite well who I gave our leftover food too. Said she could make £600 a day which I don’t believe for a second, surely BS?!!?
What is the advice when you see someone bopped out, call emergency services? 

Probably.

Help if you can, but the slightest hint of aggression, step away and call the people who are better equipped. I believe even they can choose to not help someone who is overly aggressive, but don't quote me.

It's very difficult to help someone who doesn't want to be helped. :(

I mentioned earlier that I've been threatened with violence when trying to help someone, but I haven't let that stop me from helping people since, but I'm more wary and wise to situations now. Take a while to suss the situation. If they do need immediate help, then they're probably in no state to fight.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Not going to die?

You gave him a cigarette!!!!!!

:whistle:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Probably.

Help if you can, but the slightest hint of aggression, step away and call the people who are better equipped. I believe even they can choose to not help someone who is overly aggressive, but don't quote me.

It's very difficult to help someone who doesn't want to be helped. :(

I mentioned earlier that I've been threatened with violence when trying to help someone, but I haven't let that stop me from helping people since, but I'm more wary and wise to situations now. Take a while to suss the situation. If they do need immediate help, then they're probably in no state to fight.

Of course I think everyone would agree with that, if the bloke I stopped to help was being aggressive I wouldn’t have continued to help him because I won’t put myself in that position and nobody should but when it’s clear someone is completely out of it and needs bringing round and they show no signs whatsoever of being aggressive then I think you have a moral duty to help your fellow citizen. Maybe I’m more apathetic than most because I know full well without the support system I had I’d have likely been homeless in my 20s and having worked for a homeless charity in the past and getting to know a huge number of homeless people i know the vast, vast majority of homeless people are just unlucky. I met a bloke the other month who had his tent set on fire and his legs were rotten it was horrible I gave him 20 quid took him in a supermarket and to the walk in centre and tried my best with him but suddenly he got very irrational, he was a war veteran, at that point I gave him some more money and went on my way. I don’t expect the general public to go above and beyond for anyone anytime each to their own I don’t judge people who don’t want to help the homeless same as I don’t judge the homeless either but a bit of common decency can never be too much to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Walking through Nottingham the other night was a homeless man passed out on the high street clearly on something and I must have seen 40 people walk past him, and god knows how many before i noticed him, before i went and tended to him. It’s the governments fault and I can’t stand them but the general apathy or outright disdain some, but in that instant all people have for the homeless community is outright shocking. Shameful.

Had an almost exact experience some months ago. Was riding my bike home and saw a bloke looking unconscious just off the path, its a smaller less busy town but it was evident many had walked past.

I was a little nervous as i approached as he was a biggish young guy but wasnt moving, I called out as i approached and got no response, i then called the Ambo's and gave him a nudge and eventually a shake.

He started to show signs of awareness after a few minutes, I just talked to him until the Ambo's arrived then left him in those hero's hands.

I understand peoples reticence to approach, but these are human beings for fvcks sake

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Of course I think everyone would agree with that, if the bloke I stopped to help was being aggressive I wouldn’t have continued to help him because I won’t put myself in that position and nobody should but when it’s clear someone is completely out of it and needs bringing round and they show no signs whatsoever of being aggressive then I think you have a moral duty to help your fellow citizen. Maybe I’m more apathetic than most because I know full well without the support system I had I’d have likely been homeless in my 20s and having worked for a homeless charity in the past and getting to know a huge number of homeless people i know the vast, vast majority of homeless people are just unlucky. I met a bloke the other month who had his tent set on fire and his legs were rotten it was horrible I gave him 20 quid took him in a supermarket and to the walk in centre and tried my best with him but suddenly he got very irrational, he was a war veteran, at that point I gave him some more money and went on my way. I don’t expect the general public to go above and beyond for anyone anytime each to their own I don’t judge people who don’t want to help the homeless same as I don’t judge the homeless either but a bit of common decency can never be too much to ask.

I find the situation quite interesting. I've (fortunately) never been anywhere near homelessness. But I have wondered what I'd do..

Take away my job, family, friends, credit cards (to check into a hotel or Airbnb for a few weeks) the council wrapped up in red tape and charity offers you an appalling doss house that you daren't enter ..it's a unique set of circumstances. But let's just say that all happens, whaddya do? 

I think I'd approach a church and ask the vicar for help. Or even mosque or Jain centre etc. It's an interesting concept asking for help. I think 99% of us would if asked in a respectful manner. 

So, how do people end up in this mess? Aren't most mentally ill who need help from social services or junkies who simply refuse help? 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I find the situation quite interesting. I've (fortunately) never been anywhere near homelessness. But I have wondered what I'd do..

Take away my job, family, friends, credit cards (to check into a hotel or Airbnb for a few weeks) the council wrapped up in red tape and charity offers you an appalling doss house that you daren't enter ..it's a unique set of circumstances. But let's just say that all happens, whaddya do? 

I think I'd approach a church and ask the vicar for help. Or even mosque or Jain centre etc. It's an interesting concept asking for help. I think 99% of us would if asked in a respectful manner. 

So, how do people end up in this mess? Aren't most mentally ill who need help from social services or junkies who simply refuse help? 

I suggest following Daniel Hewitt of ITV to see how working people who are not mentally ill or junkies are made homeless every day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I suggest following Daniel Hewitt of ITV to see how working people who are not mentally ill or junkies are made homeless every day. 

Fair also to note you can be homeless without being on the streets, sofa surfing is homeless too.  Your mates or family don't always have a place to put you long term.

• Like 4

On 02/12/2023 at 21:33, ozleicester said:

Looking at the data from the ATO, 1 per cent of taxpayers own nearly a quarter of all investment properties across the nation. 

I don't under the private rental market at all - most rents are still less than the cost of a 70% mortgage on the property, so landlords are taking losses.  Presumably then people with higher incomes are using those losses to offset other taxes, but if you take a way this strange tax structure, while house prices might come down, rents are likely to go up, which makes the position of most of those unable to buy worse.  Messy.  The only solution I think is much more ambitious development of regional cities and fast rail connections, all of which seem to be beyond state or federal government.  

25 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I don't under the private rental market at all - most rents are still less than the cost of a 70% mortgage on the property, so landlords are taking losses.  Presumably then people with higher incomes are using those losses to offset other taxes, but if you take a way this strange tax structure, while house prices might come down, rents are likely to go up, which makes the position of most of those unable to buy worse.  Messy.  The only solution I think is much more ambitious development of regional cities and fast rail connections, all of which seem to be beyond state or federal government.  

Nobody chooses to make losses to offset taxes.  It would be like paying £100 for a money saving tip worth £50.

What landlords often do is to aim for break even on the rents while keeping the house as their store of capital, in the case of non buy-to-let landlords, or of making a capital profit in the case of buy-to-let landlords.  Obviously the government is trying to drive individual buy-to-let landlords out of the market (while making their tenants homeless at the same time) by mortgage relief restrictions, which will leave the market open for corporate landlords.  Not sure that will help, frankly.  Especially as even the corporate landlords are hit by the swingeing heat efficiency regulations that are designed (or might as well be) to take the cheaper properties off the market as well.  The idea being, I suppose, that landlords should not be allowed to make profits out of the poor, and that poor people who can't buy a house should be in council houses (or on the streets, of course).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Nobody chooses to make losses to offset taxes.  It would be like paying £100 for a money saving tip worth £50.

What landlords often do is to aim for break even on the rents while keeping the house as their store of capital, in the case of non buy-to-let landlords, or of making a capital profit in the case of buy-to-let landlords.  Obviously the government is trying to drive individual buy-to-let landlords out of the market (while making their tenants homeless at the same time) by mortgage relief restrictions, which will leave the market open for corporate landlords.  Not sure that will help, frankly.  Especially as even the corporate landlords are hit by the swingeing heat efficiency regulations that are designed (or might as well be) to take the cheaper properties off the market as well.  The idea being, I suppose, that landlords should not be allowed to make profits out of the poor, and that poor people who can't buy a house should be in council houses (or on the streets, of course).

Looking at it, you can also depreciate your investment in the property in some cases, so you could be paper loss cash profit.  

15 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Not in the UK, at least not for tax purposes.  You can't crystallise a tax loss unless you sell the property.

The original comment was re Australia.  In Australia you can deduct interest expenses and maintenance, as well as depreciate improvements and new build costs.  A loss is then offset against your income tax so makes it all cheaper.

13 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I'm concerned the number of people evicted through no fault of their own that end up in awful temporary accommodation or homeless. Many are in work and contribute to society 

My partner and I just got served with a sec 21, after living in the property for 7 years.  Fortunately we knew it was coming and have some funds to find somewhere else decent. Sadly a lot of people won’t necessarily be able to do the same.  Governments generally don’t give a toss about renters.  I suppose a fair few MPs are landlords themselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I think that's kind of the difference. For me to get homeless I'd have to 

Lose my job

Lose the ability to work

Not pay my mortgage or have help from family

Not have any friends or family to stay with

Not have any community connections to help

To get to that point, you've either made a lot of mistakes or suffered a lot of misfortune. Anyone in that situation seemingly had a long road to get there and it wasn't just one thing that took them. 

I've worked with kids in care and youth homelessness is less of a surprise to me, as if they get kicked out of home or feel unsafe, they're younger and have fewer connections to use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

You'll may be amazed to see just how much of social housing is owned by legal and general and BlackRock.

And through shell companies residential housing stock. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Lose my job

Lose the ability to work

To get to that point, you've either made a lot of mistakes or suffered a lot of misfortune. Anyone in that situation seemingly had a long road to get there and it wasn't just one thing that took them. 

I've worked with kids in care and youth homelessness is less of a surprise to me, as if they get kicked out of home or feel unsafe, they're younger and have fewer connections to use. 

Or...
just....lose your mental capacity for "normal" life

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Torquay Gunner said:

My partner and I just got served with a sec 21, after living in the property for 7 years.  Fortunately we knew it was coming and have some funds to find somewhere else decent. Sadly a lot of people won’t necessarily be able to do the same.  Governments generally don’t give a toss about renters.  I suppose a fair few MPs are landlords themselves.

In Owen Jones (before he become a gobshite) book the Establishment, it was researched that 60% of MPs were landlords (or at every least a second home). 

That’s the self interest you have at the centre of parliament 

• Like 1

In australia.... 

At the start of each new parliament, politicians must disclose a range of interests that could result in a conflict on a parliamentary register. This includes property and shareholdings.

Based on those disclosures, here’s what we know.

Federal politicians on average own about two properties per person.

image.thumb.png.7d4d0f00d45facbbe8b6607c4da2ffda.png
Edited by ozleicester

As long as they give you plenty of notice under the terms of the lease, and it sounds like they gave you more than that - what is the issue?  It is their house no?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Lose my job

Lose the ability to work

The loss of just a few pay days can land a lot of people in serious trouble. The mantra of a new Labour Government should be Council Housing Council Housing and more Council Housing. Currently we are going back to the bad old days of Rackman and the like

• Like 1