Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

52 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Just had new council tax bill, only increased by 9.5% so that’s nice. 
This very same week I received my new refuse collection timetable, general waste moving from fortnight to monthly collections. Local recycling centre charge for most items now so prepare for more fly tipping. 

Monthly? Thats disgusting. Which council are you part of??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

This very same week I received my new refuse collection timetable, general waste moving from fortnight to monthly collections. Local recycling centre charge for most items now so prepare for more fly tipping. 

Monthly!!!!! Absolutely no way I’d be keeping month old veg peels in a bin in my garden. I’d be putting small and frequent amounts of waste into public bins. 

56 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Monthly? Thats disgusting. Which council are you part of??

20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Monthly!!!!! Absolutely no way I’d be keeping month old veg peels in a bin in my garden. I’d be putting small and frequent amounts of waste into public bins. 

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - Our food recyling and plastic/cardboard will be collected weekly, general waste/non recyclable will be 4 weekly.

I'm in Denbighshire.

11 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - Our food recyling and plastic/cardboard will be collected weekly, general waste/non recyclable will be 4 weekly.

I'm in Denbighshire.

That is still appalling.   I have two kids and we usually fill our general waste bin in two weeks.   I am an avid recycler as well. 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 07:46, jgtuk said:

In Somerset general waste collection was reduced from fortnightly to three-weekly collection last year. My elderly neighbour heats his house with a coal-fired back boiler and when he got coal from UK-based pits the quality was decent and there was not much ash. Then his coal came from Poland and that was not too bad either. Now it comes from Bolivia and it is such poor quality he fills his bin with ash in a week. He could hardly move the bin on collection day last week because it was so heavy. I told him he could put some of it in mine as mine was only quarter full, but it won't always be like that. He will not have gas because he thinks it is dangerous. A heat pump is a complete waste of time on an eighteenth century house designed to be heated with an open fire and built of random stone, however well insulated. He is in his seventies so I don't expect anything to change, except that council services will continue to decline.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kenny said:

Screenshot_20240316-192953.thumb.png.92d9634d39fe15ac898b2ebc4c893165.png

Not sure if this is the right thread. Perhaps I should have posted in the support thread so that @ozleicester can disagree.

Interesting though. Special mention for Sweden getting close to Russia in terms of wealth inequality.

So, if I’m reading this right, around 320,000 people hold 20.6% of household wealth in the UK. 
So the rest of the wealth is shared unequally between the rest of the 6000,000+ in the UK. 
Hmmmm… 

Tbh, this means nothing without more information and context.

https://equalitytrust.org.uk/scale-economic-inequality-uk

IMG_1631.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

So, if I’m reading this right, around 320,000 people hold 20.6% of household wealth in the UK. 
So the rest of the wealth is shared unequally between the rest of the 6000,000+ in the UK. 
Hmmmm… 

IMG_1631.png

Just means lots of people are wealthy due to their assets as a result of house prices.

Just thought it was interesting that compared to other European countries wealth inequality wasn't as awful as is made out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Hmmmm… 

IMG_1631.png

Your arithmetic is a bit out.  1% of 60m+ people is 600,000+, not 320,000.  Otherwise fine.  I believe "household wealth" includes all assets, not just household assets, so the very rich will seriously distort the figures.  Whether the relatively low figure for the UK is because we're a more equal society, or whether it's because more of the rich have left, I wouldn't know.

The article has a bit of a strange sentence at the start, saying the majority of UK households have lower than the mean income.  This is true of every country in the world, and of every statisitcal distribution that starts high at zero and tails off gradually..  It's as useful as saying that the majority of people in the country have more than the mean number of feet.  Why do the spoil articles like this with facile statements that make them look a bit dim?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Your arithmetic is a bit out.  1% of 60m+ people is 600,000+, not 320,000.  Otherwise fine.  I believe "household wealth" includes all assets, not just household assets, so the very rich will seriously distort the figures.  Whether the relatively low figure for the UK is because we're a more equal society, or whether it's because more of the rich have left, I wouldn't know.

The article has a bit of a strange sentence at the start, saying the majority of UK households have lower than the mean income.  This is true of every country in the world, and of every statisitcal distribution that starts high at zero and tails off gradually..  It's as useful as saying that the majority of people in the country have more than the mean number of feet.  Why do the spoil articles like this with facile statements that make them look a bit dim?

I didn’t do the maths, I took that information from another website, although you are correct. 
My problem was with that illustration as a stand alone to be used as a sort of ‘gotcha’ as it is actually not. We’re not as bad as Russia isn’t a high bar 😂

Really pleased with another way below inflation pay rise this year.

Council tax up at the maximum level, all utility bills massively increasing, car insurance going up by a complete piss take level. 

Hoooooooooo****ingray

4 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Really pleased with another way below inflation pay rise this year.

Council tax up at the maximum level, all utility bills massively increasing, car insurance going up by a complete piss take level. 

Hoooooooooo****ingray

Interesting to hear whats happening with you Gas and Leccy, mine have gone down...

47 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Interesting to hear whats happening with you Gas and Leccy, mine have gone down...

I include Mobile and broadband in utility now. 

I have always been on octopus tracker so my gas / leccy is cheaper but has been going up a bit recently 

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Queue the government offering public sector workers pay rises ‘in line with inflation’ when it dips to below 3% for a month to shoot back up to 12% the following month and stay there.

It’s pretty unlikely inflation will drop to 3% and shoot to 12%, it’s projected to drop to 2% then go up to 2.75% by the end of the year with a gradual unwind of interest rates.