Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

30 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

I guess you have to switch into Octopus and then move onto their Tracker/Agile tariff after?

I think I may move over then see if we can utilise the off peak rates.

Yeah, you can switch pretty much in one go, but you'll still be on their standard tariff for a few days while they switch you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Easy as that huh? Here's a bit from the octopus site that may have been missed. 

After leaving, you'll need to wait 9 months before switching back to Tracker

my mate changed leccy to the intelligent octopus and it took 1 week

Edited by Lako42

Dumb question maybe but does Intelligent Octopus work for you even if you only charge an EV very occasionally? I charge mine at work probably 95% of the time.

Is the rate during normal hours the same or are you paying more on the assumption that you'll be saving big when charging overnight?

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Dumb question maybe but does Intelligent Octopus work for you even if you only charge an EV very occasionally? I charge mine at work probably 95% of the time.

Is the rate during normal hours the same or are you paying more on the assumption that you'll be saving big when charging overnight?

Just answered it myself: the day rate is higher than the standard, so I'd probably be worse off 

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

The catch seems to be when the next "crisis" hits you have zero protection from rises and they'll rinse you for everything you've got. 

I am on a variable tariff and I suspect most people are at the moment so that would be applicable for many.   

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I am on a variable tariff and I suspect most people are at the moment so that would be applicable for many.   

If it did (big if) then you’d just move back to a variable tariff which would undoubtedly have an energy cap or similar applied. I can’t see prices going nuts again though, they seem to be steadily going down.  

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

TheT&C's require you to take an intelligent charge at least once a month. The day rate is approx 2p more than the regulators price cap, the night rate though is around 20p less than the cap. So if you were to charge just once a month for most people IO would be cheaper than variable rates.

British gas automatically increasing my gas direct debit by 20 quid because my usage has gone up over the winter months whilst completing ignoring I'm £280 in credit. I had to get in contact with them to reduce it back to what it was which took over an hour on the phone. Criminals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

British gas automatically increasing my gas direct debit by 20 quid because my usage has gone up over the winter months whilst completing ignoring I'm £280 in credit. I had to get in contact with them to reduce it back to what it was which took over an hour on the phone. Criminals. 

Have you got the app? I increase or decrease my DD on that even if they change it. 

4 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

They wouldn't let me decrease it, only increase it on the app. 

I was with them before I moved to Octopus, they absolutely sucked, the app never worked and the website rarely did either. My gas readings were broken for about 8 months and they just kept saying they were looking into it. Had the same issues as you with direct debit amounts and massive wait times on the phone. Just move if you can! And save money at the same time. 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 13:59, Ian Nacho said:

Move, don't accept shoddy service, octopus have been awesome since I joined them

19 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Don't understand why anyone is with any other supplier tbh. 

Octopus shits all over the other crooks 

100% I don’t get it either. Why would you pay 2-3x as much for the same thing but with far worse customer service and app/website?

British gas EV Tariff I'm on is 7.8p/kWh between 0030-0500. Not got the longest cheap rate and a ballache to get on as they demand proof it's for EV use.

Shame I have to suffer BG's garbage service but can't really move as it's cheaper than what I can find elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, kenny said:

Time to ditch Tesco or presumably the named brand.

Nordpak in Aldi is £2.09 and is identical to Lurpak.

Lurpak isn't butter and I'm buying a basic brand.

2L of milk is nearly £2 as well