Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

No shame in people saving money and offerings tips to others where they can. 

The thread title is Cost of Living Crisis.

Are you having a cost of living crisis if you can afford an EV?

I don't think so.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So essentially the less well off shouldn't bother trying to save money? Weird. :unsure: I think you miss my point.

Often those who are less well off, can't afford the extra money that is required to save money. 

I'm not saying this on my account, I'm very content with what I have, which is enough and then some. 

There is however an inverse correlation whereby the better off you are the more opportunity exists to save money. Lower mortgage rates, lower loans, preferable banking services, the ability to not even bother with loans and pay outright, being able to buy quality that lasts longer. Heck, if you're really wealthy, people will give you stuff for nothing!

Cars are absolutely the pinnacle of this. The poorer you are the more likely you'll have an old banger that breaks down regularly, isn't fuel efficient, so costs more to tax and probably more to insure (relatively) because of where you live.

Of course I don't begrudge people saving money, but the idea of constantly monitoring my energy bills, desperate to save pennies... Quite frankly, stressing. Just enjoy what you have.

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. ... A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet." - Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. ... A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet." - Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms

As a devout fan of Discworld, I can only say, "ook!"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The thread title is Cost of Living Crisis.

Are you having a cost of living crisis if you can afford an EV?

I don't think so.

It's a company vehicle, why wouldn't I charge it for a little as I can? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Something I notice every Christmas is the source of my tips from the people I deliver to.

The ones who are constantly running me ragged and making full (and beyond) use of my services, no chance of a tip. They're also the most likely to moan, like the guy who complained he'd had a text telling him his parcel was due for delivery in the morning as I arrived at 11:50 :rolleyes:.

Those who occasionally get something are by far the more likely to tip. Again not saying people should tip, or that it should be expected, but the source of it is interesting. I asked other posties if this was their experience and 100% agreed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So essentially the less well off shouldn't bother trying to save money? Weird. :unsure: I think you miss my point.

You misunderstood. The topic of EV's can be ignored if its not relevant to you. And they've been around for a good few years now, just because someone has one doesn't mean it's a new one or that those who have one may not be very well off, as you assume and just want the best deal to run it. In the same way people have shared tips for cost savings on mobile phones and tv packages etc. All first world consumption. 

Edited by FoyleFox

20 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Often those who are less well off, can't afford the extra money that is required to save money. 

I'm not saying this on my account, I'm very content with what I have, which is enough and then some. 

There is however an inverse correlation whereby the better off you are the more opportunity exists to save money. Lower mortgage rates, lower loans, preferable banking services, the ability to not even bother with loans and pay outright, being able to buy quality that lasts longer. Heck, if you're really wealthy, people will give you stuff for nothing!

Cars are absolutely the pinnacle of this. The poorer you are the more likely you'll have an old banger that breaks down regularly, isn't fuel efficient, so costs more to tax and probably more to insure (relatively) because of where you live.

Of course I don't begrudge people saving money, but the idea of constantly monitoring my energy bills, desperate to save pennies... Quite frankly, stressing. Just enjoy what you have.

Get off your high horse and stop judging people on here chatting about how to save a bit of money. 

Cost of electricity has shot through the roof so it's very possible changing supplier could save someone a significant amount of money relative to them, or that someone's situation has changed. 

Having an ev instead of and ice car doesn't confirm anything about anyone's circumstances. 

Cost of living is also relative to one's situation so until this thread is means tested people are free to chat regardless of financial position. 

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Get off your high horse and stop judging people on here chatting about how to save a bit of money. 

Cost of electricity has shot through the roof so it's very possible changing supplier could save someone a significant amount of money relative to them, or that someone's situation has changed. 

Having an ev instead of and ice car doesn't confirm anything about anyone's circumstances. 

Cost of living is also relative to one's situation so until this thread is means tested people are free to chat regardless of financial position. 

Did I say that people shouldn't? No.

I said I found it weird.

My horse is very low.

What is a forum for if not voicing opinions?

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Go on. This is an interesting concept., in practice how does a country tax a persons wealth?

And when you've taxed it, what do you do with it?  If there is some way to take all Musk's assets off him without devaluing his companies, you will have $38 per head to share round the world.  How do we change the people's lives?

Put it this way.  The average spending on healthcare in the USA, by individuals and governments, directly and indirectly, is $4.5 trillion.  If Musk's entire assets were taken off him and converted into cash, there wouldn't be enough to pay for a month's healthcare.  Billionaires may indeed have obscene amounts of money, but the only reason for taxing them to destruction is because of spite or jealousy, not because of the good it would do.

Edited by dsr-burnley

3 hours ago, Otis said:

Go on. This is an interesting concept., in practice how does a country tax a persons wealth?

Many countries do it.

The amount of tax I pay wont cover barely any of the countries health cost... perhaps i shouldnt pay tax

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Utter twat that he may be, is there any suggestion Elon Musk doesn't pay tax?  He paid $11Bn in 2021.

Pretty sure that was from 2018... and if we want to talk about historic tax payments...

I was paying around 30% ...these guys...

image.thumb.png.97ef29ba7a2ff1f40232a1e78b2c23c7.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Pretty sure that was from 2018... and if we want to talk about historic tax payments...

Yes tax is usually paid on income not wealth. That true tax rate is misleading and needs further details on how it's calculated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I wonder if the true figures are higher or lower than those, I'd suspect lower percentage in terms of true tax rate. Must be shitloads of convoluted corporate structures where their wealth in tied up, where those named are the beneficial owner receiving dividends, or countless non-cash non taxable benefits.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

On 31/12/2023 at 20:50, Nalis said:

I wonder if the true figures are higher or lower than those, I'd suspect lower percentage in terms of true tax rate. Must be shitloads of convoluted corporate structures where their wealth in tied up, where those named are the beneficial owner receiving dividends, or countless non-cash non taxable benefits.

Possibly but treating increase in the value of shares as income isn’t really correct, the income is triggered by a sale.