Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

23 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Not really risky if it's a rate you are happy with. 

People obsess over mortgage rates but if that rate is comfortable then it's fine. 

No of can predict the future and if the rates drop to 2% then it's annoying but if it affordable then that's all you can do at that stage. 

That’s exactly my point. You could be happy with the rate now but that’s the risk.

Whats comfortable now absolutely may not be in 5 years time with the volatility expected in all parts of consumer life. Very naive imo to think you’ll know what’s gonna be affordable to you in 2029, if you’re not shining AIs shoes by then.

2 years offer upside aswell as downside, especially if micro circumstances change, which they probably will. 

33 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Think all the billionaires should have to do a battle royale on a remote island and the winner gets to live on jobseekers for the rest of their lives.

There's a Caribbean island that would be perfect for this. 

Even better, most of them already know their way around. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Think all the billionaires should have to do a battle royale on a remote island and the winner gets to live on jobseekers for the rest of their lives.

And loser has to wipe down Hawking's bedside table..?

Edited by Zear0

3 hours ago, danny. said:

yea, but if they didn't have Netflix and avocado toast they'd be fine

I'll make clear that the following doesn't apply to anyone doing their absolute best, barely heating and eating and genuinely struggling. The Netflix thing just reminded me of some scenarios.

Some people are not very financially aware and haemorrhaging money on stuff like that though, MSE had a question recently on action people had taken to improve their finances, people were saying they'd looked at bank statements and cancelled old unwanted subscriptions and things they'd forgotten. People were reporting on £100's of stuff. How can you not notice you're paying £25 a month for something? Also, I've encountered people saying they aren't doing well financially, serious complaining, just before whipping out a brand new iPhone, telling you about the 4 takeaways they have a week, while watching Sky and Netflix or their numerous nights in the pub. Maybe it's just a small minority of people I've encountered, but it does irk me. If you're lucky enough to be doing ok, you still have to choose your priorities, save on A and spend on B.

Again, definitely not directed at those genuinely struggling or to suggest cancelling Netflix will get you a house etc

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I'll make clear that the following doesn't apply to anyone doing their absolute best, barely heating and eating and genuinely struggling. The Netflix thing just reminded me of some scenarios.

Some people are not very financially aware and haemorrhaging money on stuff like that though, MSE had a question recently on action people had taken to improve their finances, people were saying they'd looked at bank statements and cancelled old unwanted subscriptions and things they'd forgotten. People were reporting on £100's of stuff. How can you not notice you're paying £25 a month for something? Also, I've encountered people saying they aren't doing well financially, serious complaining, just before whipping out a brand new iPhone, telling you about the 4 takeaways they have a week, while watching Sky and Netflix or their numerous nights in the pub. Maybe it's just a small minority of people I've encountered, but it does irk me. If you're lucky enough to be doing ok, you still have to choose your priorities, save on A and spend on B.

Again, definitely not directed at those genuinely struggling or to suggest cancelling Netflix will get you a house etc

Mental health plays a role in spending habits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Mental health plays a role in spending habits.

I don't mean those people, either, because that's very true and unfortunate but it's not everyone doing it. Perhaps I just know a few whingers!

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2024 at 21:49, Legend_in_blue said:

The govt are continuing to mislead the public as inflation clearly is nowhere near halved as far as supermarket prices are concerned. 

Or the rich are just continuing to absolutely **** us for record breaking profits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I agree in theory, but sound financial planning isn’t taught in schools. Some dude off the street is no match for a multi-billion dollar advertising industry intent on his money. 
Being a British adult and having £100 or so of cash to your name has become normalised. 

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

All of this is wildly overstated.

Pubs aren't dying in droves because the great unwashed are spending all their time there.

Netflix aren't offering cut price subscriptions with ads because their subscriber numbers in these demographics were going up.

The uptake on brand new phones has plummeted, far more common to be on long-term sim-only deals than it used to be. Where it does happen, it's largely because people who struggle are offered a bit of luxury with attractive low interest payment plans and can't resist.

3 hours ago, Bryn said:

All of this is wildly overstated.

Pubs aren't dying in droves because the great unwashed are spending all their time there.

Netflix aren't offering cut price subscriptions with ads because their subscriber numbers in these demographics were going up.

The uptake on brand new phones has plummeted, far more common to be on long-term sim-only deals than it used to be. Where it does happen, it's largely because people who struggle are offered a bit of luxury with attractive low interest payment plans and can't resist.

Perhaps there are lots of financially savy people making savings. Just not the ones moaning to me lol

• 2 months later...

Just had new council tax bill, only increased by 9.5% so that’s nice. 
This very same week I received my new refuse collection timetable, general waste moving from fortnight to monthly collections. Local recycling centre charge for most items now so prepare for more fly tipping. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2