Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Of course he is. 

The man absolutely fetishises war. He's absolutely delighted one has kicked off while he's in power, he's wanted nothing more than to cosplay Winston Churchill his whole fvcking life. 

Which in itself is reason enough to get rid.

Unfortunately large numbers of our population seem to be the same, love a good war, unless Labour start it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I meaaaan, Blair's own voters were some of the most passionately vocal about the war (and his government's other betrayals of their politics, hello student fees.)

Wide-spread criticism of the Iraq war was because it was fvcking atrocious, not because a Labour government took us in to it. 

Incidentally, however, what actually did them the most was the lies. Which, to come back to Boris, is why he's not fit to continue and shouldn't stay. The parties themselves aren't the bigger offence, its the deceit that's accompanied them. He's made a career, hell a life, out of lying to people. 

Why would you ever want him to rule? 

Oh yeah, but I still this amongst his staunch fans they would have forgiven Boris if he'd taken us into Blairs war, especially the war loving one's.

And you're right it's the lies, the parties were bad enough, the lies on top are the real problem here. It's his default mode, you can see him with every question looking for a way formulate a lie. I reckon you could ask something irrefutable that he wouldn't need to lie about, like his date of birrh and he'd still lie.

We all knew what he was, the fact the millions of people can justify allowing him the top job whilst knowing that is genuinely worrying.

Edited by Facecloth

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

And you think we wouldn't with someone else in charge

We as a nation we will still back Ukraine whoever is in charge, so my immediate concern is life here, where by your own admission he's not doing a great job, added to the rule breaking and the lies, he needs to go.

Corbyn?

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

There must have been some argument overnight as I don’t remember the politics thread being in a particularly hostile place yesterday.

I went out about 6pm yesterday and it was there, got home at half 8 and it was gone. Nothing I saw before I went out indicated it might turn nasty.

• Like 1

When these parties started leaking the police said they weren't going to look into it because their approach was to use enforcement to ensure the lockdown was being adhered to rather than to punish people retroactively who may have flouted the rules. This seemed fine to me, it wasn't a situation causing active harm and the level of offending wasn't worth police resources. Instead we would get an independent inquiry into exactly what was going on that would be as transparent as possible and made available to the public. Then we the public could decide through the ballot box if Johnson and his cabinet were fit to run the country. What happened was at the 11th hour right before the report was due, the police suddenly changed their minds, the report was suppressed and now we are being fed a narrative that this is all blown out of proportion. Well it wasn't the political left that wanted this outcome.

The lies that Johnson will tell are absolutely remarkable and we need a better prime minister, or at least one who's capable of thinking things through and deciding not to lie in the first place. Most Conservatives knew he was a liar at the last election, but they weren't expecting him to tell such unbelievable whoppers.

However, the journalists and the opposition parties are finding their own straw men to rely on. Finding a whole load of people who'd lost their parents or grandparents without being able to see them is all very well, but it would have happened anyway, irrespective of Boris Johnson. The care homes and hospitals were not allowing people in under any circumstances anyway, and although this happens to be tough for relatives I think the majority would go along with that. As for the photograph of the Queen, they're acting like she was a demented old person, which is not entirely true because she happens to be the Queen. I daresay she could have found lots of ladies-in-waiting to sit alongside her (socially distanced, of course), but she preferred to sit on her own and mourn Prince Philip. I think using her photograph for political ends is an error of judgement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I went out about 6pm yesterday and it was there, got home at half 8 and it was gone. Nothing I saw before I went out indicated it might turn nasty.

I've seen a bunch of threads get pulled on here with no obvious reasoning. Since there's never any reason given it makes it hard to know what triggers it. The Ukraine thread got deleted a bunch of times too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I read an interesting take on Boris 0 or at least on the birthday cake debacle.  Of the thousands of fixed penalty notices given out for breach of Covid regulations, how many of them were for people in their workplace with the people they work with having a 9 minute birthday celebration.  I am guessing it is none apart from these ones. How many were given out 2 years after the fact? I am guessing it is none apart from these ones.

Now it may be that there were other actual parties, but the hysteria around this one seems a little much.

I do agree, I think it's daft but the issue is he's the mentalist who imposed these restrictions in the first place, not once not twice but thrice. 

6 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

The lies that Johnson will tell are absolutely remarkable and we need a better prime minister, or at least one who's capable of thinking things through and deciding not to lie in the first place. Most Conservatives knew he was a liar at the last election, but they weren't expecting him to tell such unbelievable whoppers.

However, the journalists and the opposition parties are finding their own straw men to rely on. Finding a whole load of people who'd lost their parents or grandparents without being able to see them is all very well, but it would have happened anyway, irrespective of Boris Johnson. The care homes and hospitals were not allowing people in under any circumstances anyway, and although this happens to be tough for relatives I think the majority would go along with that. As for the photograph of the Queen, they're acting like she was a demented old person, which is not entirely true because she happens to be the Queen. I daresay she could have found lots of ladies-in-waiting to sit alongside her (socially distanced, of course), but she preferred to sit on her own and mourn Prince Philip. I think using her photograph for political ends is an error of judgement.

That isn't a strawman. The argument is that Johnson breaking the rules to have a party is disrespectful when people obeyed the rules and were unable to see their loved ones. It would be like Winston Churchill having constant banquets during WW2 while rationing was being used. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He literally did this with covid restriction announcements as well, not exactly a new tac

Never let a good crisis go to waste, quite.

A human shaped boogeyman in people's minds is even better for such things too, in spite of all statistical evidence regarding threat.

8 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Was just thinking going into the next election as things stand, we've got a crook leading a dying government and an uninspiring opposition. This genuinely couldn't be a better opportunity to break the two party system, it's ashame there's no real viable alternatives

Its a shame we are under FPTP, otherwise a vote in England feels wasted if it isnt for one of the main parties. If I knew it was going to sadly be a Tory landslide anyway I'd probably vote for a niche party.

Edited by Nalis

59 minutes ago, MPH said:

makes you wonder how bad the opposition must be for them to keep getting re-elected though doesn’t it…

This is what piss*s me off as much as anything (well not quite tbh) but to not have a viable opposition for so long is mind boggling

Fancy Boris has well and truly done his ’bit’ this time though.  lol

edit although the climate issues make it easy enough to vote on specific issues outside of the normal main parties

Edited by Dahnsouff

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is what piss*s me off as much as anything (well not quite tbh) but to not have a viable opposition for so long is mind boggling

Fancy Boris has well and truly done his ’bit’ this time though.  lol

edit although the climate issues make it easy enough to vote on specific issues outside of the normal main parties

This is what I don’t get, now Corbyn is no longer there, how are Labour not viable? The bar has been set so low by the current government it’s ridiculous. The onus should really be on the government as to why we should ignore all of the incidents which would have brought any other government into disrepute.  

• Like 1