Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

This is what I don’t get, now Corbyn is no longer there, how are Labour not viable? The bar has been set so low by the current government it’s ridiculous. The onus should really be on the government as to why we should ignore all of the incidents which would have brought any other government into disrepute.  

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Labour are viable now, as much as I find Starmer painfully bland ( he isn’t on Political Idol, so that’s for me to deal with, and maybe bland would be a good thing after the cartoon tramp) but it sure took Labour and the Libs a long time to seize the initiative away from the Tories. Suspect the next government will be Labour and that’s fine but I am not 100% convinced they will get it done.

• Like 3

If the tories get re-elected then Labour need to do some serious soul searching. What are they not understanding about the voters and what they want? Why can they not connect with them? I’m not buying this manipulative media thing and gullible voters- I think they just don’t have a grip on what is and what isn’t  important to the voters.  People will point at these rallies with swathes of vociferous disgruntled people but for everyone out waving a banner there appears to be  even more disgruntled people of a different persuasion at home and people have to understand that these are the people that need reaching  and understanding. Just because a voter shouts louder does not mean their vote counts as two. Labour need to understand this to get re-elected.

4 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

This is what I don’t get, now Corbyn is no longer there, how are Labour not viable? The bar has been set so low by the current government it’s ridiculous. The onus should really be on the government as to why we should ignore all of the incidents which would have brought any other government into disrepute.  

Because the mainstream media are basically owned by Tory doners. So they control the daily narrative and it feeds into people's subconscious.  

The majority of voters take the soundbites they see or the headlines they read as fact.  

The starmer / saville slur is thrown into conversation for Tory voters, even though it's factually inaccurate.... But it's in their head and they will use that as a reason not to vote for labour. 

Same as "labour can't be trusted with the economy"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Because the mainstream media are basically owned by Tory doners. So they control the daily narrative and it feeds into people's subconscious.  

The majority of voters take the soundbites they see or the headlines they read as fact.  

The starmer / saville slur is thrown into conversation for Tory voters, even though it's factually inaccurate.... But it's in their head and they will use that as a reason not to vote for labour. 

Same as "labour can't be trusted with the economy"

Really?? Paperwise there might be a greater proportion I'll give you, but tv is not, and tv has the biggest reach for over 35s. BBC is not, C4 is definitely left of centre. ITV is agnostic if not left of centre at present, but that may be because there are just so many govt scandals to break and the opposition ones are being stored for later. Sky news gets such a small percentage of viewers its negligible.

Social media is a real mixed bag and more about which echo chambers you inhabit.

Its lazy to suggest this old trope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The Tories could shit in Jon's hands and make him clap and he'd still do mental gymnastics to defend them, don't worry about it.

I wouldn't vote Tory if there was an election today.  Boris would need to be replaced by a credible alternative and convince me they were not surrounding themselves with yes people.  I am massively unimpressed by the current crop of politicians on both sides.  Corbyn really screwed over Labour, they lost a lot of talent, and their inability to define a woman in recent days has been pathetic.  Lib Dems are absolutely nowhere in national politics.  Now I have moved to a country where things are possibly worse...

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I wouldn't vote Tory if there was an election today.  Boris would need to be replaced by a credible alternative and convince me they were not surrounding themselves with yes people.  I am massively unimpressed by the current crop of politicians on both sides.  Corbyn really screwed over Labour, they lost a lot of talent, and their inability to define a woman in recent days has been pathetic.  Lib Dems are absolutely nowhere in national politics.  Now I have moved to a country where things are possibly worse...

Aye that’s true. Dreading tonight’s Morrison vs Albanese debate. Be like watching a puppy get run over. His hearts in the right place but he’s no match for Morrison’s bullshit. Beginning to think the best we can hope for is a hung parliament :(

Do you get a vote?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...is the Aussie populace really that in hock to the coal industry?

Murdoch pulling the strings still, no doubt.

Murdoch media bang away 24/7 and seem to largely set the agenda during the campaign. Sky News here is nothing like it is in the UK, much more like Fox News in the US. Plus Morrison is much more effective as a campaigner despite being a total arsehole, and people seem to fall for it. I’m not really that hopeful unfortunately.

There is a group of independents targeting marginal seats in urban areas, basing their campaign on action on climate change and corruption, the 2 issues that most concern me at the moment. They hope to get a balance of power and use it to pursue their agenda. Hopefully they make a difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Aye that’s true. Dreading tonight’s Morrison vs Albanese debate. Be like watching a puppy get run over. His hearts in the right place but he’s no match for Morrison’s bullshit. Beginning to think the best we can hope for is a hung parliament :(

Do you get a vote?

No fortunately I cannot be blamed for this one, I wont be a citizen for about 6 years.

40 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Murdoch media bang away 24/7 and seem to largely set the agenda during the campaign. Sky News here is nothing like it is in the UK, much more like Fox News in the US. Plus Morrison is much more effective as a campaigner despite being a total arsehole, and people seem to fall for it. I’m not really that hopeful unfortunately.

There is a group of independents targeting marginal seats in urban areas, basing their campaign on action on climate change and corruption, the 2 issues that most concern me at the moment. They hope to get a balance of power and use it to pursue their agenda. Hopefully they make a difference.

I think the only hope we have is that those independents get some serious power in a hung parliament.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Wow does it take that long now? Got mine back in 95 after a bit over 2 years.

4 years is the residency requirement, with one year PR, but the actual application and ceremony process is taking up to 2 years at the moment.

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Tbf I didn't say you'd vote for them, just perform a lot of mental gymnastics to defend them :thumbup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The Tories could shit in Jon's hands and make him clap and he'd still do mental gymnastics to defend them, don't worry about it.

Great way to keep your hands warm in this era of rising energy prices.

• Haha 2