Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Was doing park runs in about 26 mins about 2 years ago. But I've been really slacking in terms of doing any excersise in the last 6 months. Set myself a challenge of doing 2 5ks a week starting this week. Pretty dissapointed in my 2 efforts. 33 mins then 32 mins. If I have a good 4 day rest I'm hoping I can get comfortably back under 30 mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Interested to see how I go now cos I’ve cut out the drinking and I’m going to make bread a premium. 

Oh yeah you can’t eat bread if you want to lose weight. I eat a lot of eggs (mainly egg whites) and for a treat I’ve eaten Dates with Cashews.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate just how grim this will sound to some people but it’s a short term thing to be able to enjoy yourself more after is how I see it.

I’m probably quite lucky that I can be really disciplined when I need to be and **** me have I needed to be after all of these trips lol 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 41 and only really started running a few years ago. Was shite at it at school. Surprisingly I was fairly good. I got down to about 22m for a 5k. I was really enjoying it but my knees started hurting so jacked it in. Might try and take it up again as, for me personally, I find running the easiest form of cardio to sustain. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Does anybody else here use the treadmill for incline walking? 

I hate running outdoor in the summer, would rather run in sub zero temperatures than this humidity.

But twice a week now I'll put the treadmill up to about 12% incline and 5.5 kmh and it's a great way to lose weight.

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

Does anybody else here use the treadmill for incline walking? 

I hate running outdoor in the summer, would rather run in sub zero temperatures than this humidity.

But twice a week now I'll put the treadmill up to about 12% incline and 5.5 kmh and it's a great way to lose weight.

Treadmills do my head in, which is a shame as there's a really posh one in the gym at work which is about 3 metres from my desk.

If we have a really hot spell I probably will use it more as the office has air conditioning.

I ran on Thursday evening and it was hard work. I didn't go because of some macho I'll-run-in-any-conditions thing - I did it because I really don't like the heat, and I found by accident years ago that if I put myself through a couple of runs when it's really hot I cope a lot better with it the rest of the time.

I only did 5k though - a colleague was planning a long run for after work yesterday and I think that would only have been a good idea if he was taking water with him. I was parched on Thursday after about a minute, despite drinking water all day. I got properly dehydrated running in hot weather once and trust me, it's something you really want to avoid

I reckon it'd take me ages to run 5km. I do a lot of cycling and my muscles are conditioned for that. Last time I tried to run any distance, my legs started cramping before I reckon I did 1km. Fitness is there but not the tone. 

Did my Prestowold 10k a couple of weeks ago in 56 mins which is on target so I’m chuffed with that. Ran the second time since this morning after little sleep and a few beers was a bit of a struggle. 
Cant seem to push my 5k time at all though which is disappointing. 

8 hours ago, BeardyFox said:

Did my Prestowold 10k a couple of weeks ago in 56 mins which is on target so I’m chuffed with that. Ran the second time since this morning after little sleep and a few beers was a bit of a struggle. 
Cant seem to push my 5k time at all though which is disappointing. 

Was this the Chase The Sun event which was on midweek? If so, I was on of the marshalls there and I take my hat off to anyone who managed to finish anything over 5k there! 

12 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Was this the Chase The Sun event which was on midweek? If so, I was on of the marshalls there and I take my hat off to anyone who managed to finish anything over 5k there! 

Yeah thats the one. The wind against you down that back straight was incredible.

Thanks for doing the marshalling, it was well orgasnised event.

On 03/06/2022 at 12:48, Cardiff_Fox said:

Did 10k. Really struggling to keep the weight off. My metabolism could burn off stuff with a bit of exercise but I have probably down 50 to 60k in last three weeks and can’t shift it. 

Finally getting somewhere with this. Train strike last week meant cycling in and then running rest of the way back home with a bag. Alongside Pilates. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did 16k on Saturday which includes some horrid hills including one around Lickey (anyone who lives in and around Birmingham will be aware of) 

Today managed 24:30 over 5k; quickest I’ve been in 18 months 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did Park Run this morning and trudged round in a highly disappointing (given that I was actually trying) 28:42.

I did a 5k in 24:12 last year, that's a pretty steep drop off!

Crazy how fast you can lose it isn't it! If only we could gain it back as quickly.

I became a dad in May and with the lack of sleep my 5k times are around 2 minutes slower than they was in April. I only stopped running for a couple of weeks but the lack of sleep did me. I'm enjoying running again now but I'm not getting the pace back just yet!

33 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Crazy how fast you can lose it isn't it! If only we could gain it back as quickly.

I became a dad in May and with the lack of sleep my 5k times are around 2 minutes slower than they was in April. I only stopped running for a couple of weeks but the lack of sleep did me. I'm enjoying running again now but I'm not getting the pace back just yet!

It's weird how it ebbs and flows, isn't it? In the spring of last year I was apparently running loads and that's when I got my most recent decent time, but even later that summer I was no great shakes.

Just done some lunges and it's apparent my legs are weak weak weak, so need to do something about that.

Hope the parenting is going well!

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's weird how it ebbs and flows, isn't it? In the spring of last year I was apparently running loads and that's when I got my most recent decent time, but even later that summer I was no great shakes.

Just done some lunges and it's apparent my legs are weak weak weak, so need to do something about that.

Hope the parenting is going well!

I think the running is more mental/concentration nowadays as I kind of just stop without feeling done if that makes sense? I think because I'm running on a lunch break it isn't helping that too. 

Parenting isn't going too bad. He's almost made it to 4 months which I would consider a success!

Edited by slymunn

I was stunned yesterday by the new men's marathon world record - 2 hours, 1 minute and 9 seconds - by an athlete who will be 38 in about 7 weeks.

Just to put it into perspective and add relevance to this thread, his 5k splits were;

1 14:14

2 14:08

3 14:10

4 14:12

5 14:24

6 14:32

7 14:30

8 14:43

That's 8 x 5km, all well under 15 minutes each.

Just incredible!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Changed my exercise routine about 3 months ago and re signed up for a gym focusing on 3 days of weights and 1 day of intense cardio as well as playing football once a week. This meant I had completed 5k for over 3 months.

Just gone for my first 5k since early June and did it in 21.59 which has blown my mind. Also about blew my lungs, forgot about the burn.

I guess the lesson there is, if you want to run fast really put work into your general fitness.

Yeah my return to form coincided with yoga and high intense training 

Put some weight back on since then and surprised myself on Saturday managing 8 miles at 5:35/km 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah my return to form coincided with yoga and high intense training 

Put some weight back on since then and surprised myself on Saturday managing 8 miles at 5:35/km 

I think with me a lot of it is mental and motivation related. When I go every day and push hard I know how much it’s going to hurt so tend to ease off a little bit where as yesterday I just went for it.

Well done by the way, obviously related to the hardcore of being from Cosby haha.

• 3 weeks later...