Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

16 hours ago, Isle of Wight Fox said:

I was as pro as you could be back then whilst doing a 40 hour a week job and training at least twice a day and running anything between 70 and 100 miles a week.

There was no money in it at that point. Occasionally I'd get my expenses covered if it was an invitational race but that was it.

The depth in that event in 1990 was so great that my PB might only just have scraped me into the top 100 in the UK that year.

Leicestershire had a couple of real quick guys around that period, Jack Buckner (13:10) and Craig Mochrie (13:26)

As for Mo Farah, he's practically jogging to do 14 minutes. When the top guys are 'on it', their speed and endurance is really unbelievable.

Yeah I know. It's crazy their speed.  Fun fact, I do know Mo, he was part of my friendship group at university as all of my friends were the GB World Cross Country team. 

Beat him in a sprint once down napantan road in Loughborough. Lol.  

At 17 stone I wouldn't beat him now!

• Like 2

This got me motivated so just done one in 26.05 which I'm happy about for an overweight  50 year old indian!!!

My best half marathon  is 1.49  and Leicester  Big 10 about 54 mins.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2022 at 10:16, Raj said:

This got me motivated so just done one in 26.05 which I'm happy about for an overweight  50 year old indian!!!

Congratulations! 

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2022 at 10:16, Raj said:

That’s a really good speed and actually puts the progress I was proud of to shamelol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

That’s a really good speed and actually puts the progress I was proud of to shamelol

I did nearly have a heart attack after though!

Any progress you make is positive, dont be ashamed of it.

I forgot exactly how harder it is if you add abit of pace to a run.

On 27/04/2022 at 17:35, OrielCaziado said:

Incredible the sectional times them marathon lads do.  I remember running in a relay marathon alongside the main event many many years ago. I think there was 10 or 12 in the team and there were varying distance legs from like a mile an half up to 4mile. Anyway the men’s winner led us all the way and we didn’t see him and our team finished just behind the women’s winner, which considering we were all fit lads who played lots of sport was amazing. I’d assumed up and till then that marathon runners merely jogged lol

The top marathon runners average about 17/18 seconds per 100m. And they run that over 400 times back to back at that speed (on average). Just under 5 minute miles, 26 times back to back. When you watch them it seems so chilled but they have some serious pace.

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The top marathon runners average about 17/18 seconds per 100m. And they run that over 400 times back to back at that speed (on average). Just under 5 minute miles, 26 times back to back. When you watch them it seems so chilled but they have some serious pace.

Paula Radcliffe ran past when I was watching the London Marathon years ago.

She was only a few yards away, and the speed she was going was mental, I don't think I could've kept up with her if I was going full pelt over 26 yards, and it was about 23 miles in.  Unsurprisingly there wasn't an ounce of fat on her and there were veins sticking out all over the place - the way she was running and how she looked was like the Terminator or something; that doesn't come across at all when you watch them on telly

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Paula Radcliffe ran past when I was watching the London Marathon years ago.

She was only a few yards away, and the speed she was going was mental, I don't think I could've kept up with her if I was going full pelt over 26 yards, and it was about 23 miles in.  Unsurprisingly there wasn't an ounce of fat on her and there were veins sticking out all over the place - the way she was running and how she looked was like the Terminator or something; that doesn't come across at all when you watch them on telly

Definitely. Same with cycling. I was once lucky to watch the start of a race (was there by chance). By the time the back end of the p[ack came past and built up speed it was impossible to focus on anything, they were just a blur. I also stood next to one of the sprinters, German Andre Greipel, he had legs like tree stumps.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Any tips for someone completing their first Tough Mudder on Saturday? 15K. 

Make sure you can jump into water with your mouth closed.

It turns out I'm really bad at that, and trust me, you want to avoid ingesting what you'll be jumping into if you possibly can

• Like 1

24:30 on a treadmill with no incline.

26:18 was my best outdoor 5k. Started to dread going when trying to beat my pb every time so I now end up doing it around the 27/28 minute mark and enjoy it instead.

10k runs are my favourite, as long as I do under an hour I'm happy.

Started training for the Leicester half in October and Prestwold 10k in June. 
Currently doing 30min 5k and did my first 10k in 59 mins. 
Want to get to around 25 mins and 50 mins as a goal. 
last half marathon I did in 2hrs 15 so want to get to 2 hours. 

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I couldn't even run 5km today. Got to about 2.5 miles (approx 4/5 distance) and had to knock it on the head. Feeble

It’ll come back…. Walk and run?

remarkably I managed 5.3km after a 6 month hiatus without stopping,  but, I had to really push myself….

just be glad to be out there again…

16 hours ago, Wolfox said:

It’ll come back…. Walk and run?

remarkably I managed 5.3km after a 6 month hiatus without stopping,  but, I had to really push myself….

just be glad to be out there again…

The weird thing was I did one in just over 28 minutes on Monday, which although far from impressive is a bit different to not being able to finish!

I'll try again on Sunday

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 07:46, Greg2607 said:

Yeah I know. It's crazy their speed.  Fun fact, I do know Mo, he was part of my friendship group at university as all of my friends were the GB World Cross Country team. 

Beat him in a sprint once down napantan road in Loughborough. Lol.  

At 17 stone I wouldn't beat him now!

Downhill?