Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Got my first 10k tomorrow after I started running around September/October last year. Excited but nervous at the same time. Not so bothered by the time but around 65 mins would do me lovely.

I do live in the peak district, though, and this run will be on flat. So may end up being faster than I expect! 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 10:15, fox_up_north said:

Got my first 10k tomorrow after I started running around September/October last year. Excited but nervous at the same time. Not so bothered by the time but around 65 mins would do me lovely.

I do live in the peak district, though, and this run will be on flat. So may end up being faster than I expect! 

How did you get on? (and dm about where you live, we might be close by...) :) 

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

How did you get on? (and dm about where you live, we might be close by...) :) 

I managed 68 minutes - though 1 minute of that was faffing about at the water station as they weren't prepared.

Still, considering it was my first one and I'm an overweight 33 year old - I am pretty happy with that. 

Did my first run in 6 years last week. My target was 5k and I just about managed to finish it without dying. 

Ended up with a time of 30:25, which for a 30 year old whose only exercise for the past couple of years has been golf, I think is decent enough. 

I'm not overweight, but I'm not built like Jamie Vardy either. Never been considered fit at any stage in life, although I did finish 2nd in a 400m at school once. Competition wasn't up to much, mind.

Hoping to do a run 3 or 4 times each month and try to bring the time down. Might follow up last week's 5km with a 3.5km, though. The prospect of another 5km isn't exactly motivating at this point.

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Did my first run in 6 years last week. My target was 5k and I just about managed to finish it without dying. 

Ended up with a time of 30:25, which for a 30 year old whose only exercise for the past couple of years has been golf, I think is decent enough. 

I'm not overweight, but I'm not built like Jamie Vardy either. Never been considered fit at any stage in life, although I did finish 2nd in a 400m at school once. Competition wasn't up to much, mind.

Hoping to do a run 3 or 4 times each month and try to bring the time down. Might follow up last week's 5km with a 3.5km, though. The prospect of another 5km isn't exactly motivating at this point.

You gotta do it every 3 days or so until it starts to get easier and in turn, enjoyable! That’s a good start.

On 19/05/2022 at 14:12, Bellend Sebastian said:

Also, good luck. I was traumatised by the experience (although still sort of glad I did it because I was SO outside of my comfort zone) but everyone else seemed to have a brilliant time, so I'm sure you will

Well I absolutely loved it, other than being electrocuted at the end. The water wasn't too bad to be fair, but we were running fairly early on Saturday. Wouldn't like to think what it was like 4pm Sunday! 

6 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

After about 12 months injured (doing no exercise at all), I managed a 48min 10km. Was actually very surprised as I didn’t think I could do that when I was ‘fit’. I’m no runner, Saturday football is all I do to keep fit. 

Intrigued what my 5km time would be. 

It should be sub 23min.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

How about this for out of shape.  I just did my first ever 5k running around the streets.  37 minutes.  Had to stop and walk a few times in that though to be fair 🤣

Keep going though the time will drop also the amount of times you walk :chant:

17 hours ago, kristianity77 said:

How about this for out of shape.  I just did my first ever 5k running around the streets.  37 minutes.  Had to stop and walk a few times in that though to be fair 🤣

In fairness that's about standard for anyone that's not used to running or hasn't been doing a lot of exercise (i.e. most people)

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Did 10k. Really struggling to keep the weight off. My metabolism could burn off stuff with a bit of exercise but I have probably down 50 to 60k in last three weeks and can’t shift it. 

I’ve found that weight management is more about diet than it is about exercise. 

Managed to shift about half a stone in 2 weeks that I had put on from Rome and a holiday by going vegetarian (eating pretty much only veg) exercising loads and not drinking.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve found that weight management is more about diet than it is about exercise. 

Managed to shift about half a stone in 2 weeks that I had put on from Rome and a holiday by going vegetarian (eating pretty much only veg) exercising loads and not drinking.

Interested to see how I go now cos I’ve cut out the drinking and I’m going to make bread a premium. 

• Like 1