Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That would be a pace of 5:44/mile according to this here calculator:

https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/pace

A full 2 minutes a mile faster than my best time, surprising nobody, ever 

if it makes you feel any better.... My best mate has a Park Run PB at 15:35 and a Half Marathon PB at 65:23..... i'm relatively sure he is a gazelle or something... 

17 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

yeah, his mile PB is 4:03.... so "technically" he was taking it easy!! 

Now the "normal" man has a shot at being an athlete, the old records will be smashed regularly.  Sport used to be the preserve of only the rich and privileged.

I wasn't around to see it, sadly, but years ago a friend of mine who was in decent, if unspectacular shape, convinced himself that it was so long ago that Roger Bannister did the 4 minute mile that modern healthy lifestyles etc would mean that such a time would be within easy reach of less than elite athletes.

At the half way point of his attempt, his friends rather cruelly informed him he was on course to finish within 4 minutes before he came over the line in just short of seven minutes or whatever it was, somewhat disappointed

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Now the "normal" man has a shot at being an athlete, the old records will be smashed regularly.  Sport used to be the preserve of only the rich and privileged.

to be fair to him, he was part of the GB World Cross Country team and had National Lottery funding as part of the "world class potentials" list.... so i'm not sure it's something most of us mere mortals should aspire to! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2023 at 20:29, Lcfc-1992 said:

I managed to get below 30 minutes about a month ago, started again just before Christmas and today I did it in 31:30. 

I usually only go once a week because my shins can’t take it, today was my second run in 4 days so struggled abit. I was running on grass but my last couple haven’t been.

30.20 today :scarf:

• Like 3

I started running middle of last year and I’ve been loving it. I only do 5Ks, including Parkruns. I managed to get my time down to about 27:30 (which I was well pleased with considering I’m slightly old and slightly fat) and was working on improving bit by bit.

Then Christmas happened, I ate too much, missed my practice runs and - worst of all - got ill. I’ve had one of these viruses that everybody’s got at the moment and it’s tightened up my chest. My first run back after Christmas was disaster because I couldn’t get enough air. I had one slightly better run, then I’ve rested for a week or two. 

I’m very conscious that I need to start things back up again, but I’m not doing anything until my chest has fully cleared up. But it’s really knocked my confidence and belief, because it had been going really well for some time and now it feels like I’ve taken a backwards step.

BTW, all of you with your sub 20 mins times, you’re absolute nutters, that’s just too fast!

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

I started running middle of last year and I’ve been loving it. I only do 5Ks, including Parkruns. I managed to get my time down to about 27:30 (which I was well pleased with considering I’m slightly old and slightly fat) and was working on improving bit by bit.

Then Christmas happened, I ate too much, missed my practice runs and - worst of all - got ill. I’ve had one of these viruses that everybody’s got at the moment and it’s tightened up my chest. My first run back after Christmas was disaster because I couldn’t get enough air. I had one slightly better run, then I’ve rested for a week or two. 

I’m very conscious that I need to start things back up again, but I’m not doing anything until my chest has fully cleared up. But it’s really knocked my confidence and belief, because it had been going really well for some time and now it feels like I’ve taken a backwards step.

BTW, all of you with your sub 20 mins times, you’re absolute nutters, that’s just too fast!

Keep plugging away and your speed will come back

Never worry about other peoples times!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I am going through the same tbh. Half Marathon in March - I was hopeful of lowering my PB from 1hr 57 to 1hr 55. However in the aftermath of Christmas, times and stamina have fell off a cliff. It's just going to be a case of working really hard with training to see where I am in March but yeah it's knocked my confidence and belief too. 

Thankfully today I've woke up and feel the best I have done in a long time so maybe Saturday's diet of 6.5 miles followed by 10 pints was all that was needed. lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saxondale said:

all of you with your sub 20 mins times, you’re absolute nutters, that’s just too fast!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't actually think I could finish 5k now without having to stop to a near walk. It's all relative. It comes and goes quite quickly if you don't keep at it and we're all the same. 

You'll be back where you were in no time. The hardest part by far is where you are right now just needing to restart the routine. Once you've got that down you'll be flying but be kind to yourself in the meantime. If it was easy to get out there and run then everyone would be doing it. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pre- lockdown I was down to 22 minutes which, at 40 and never having run before, I was very pleased with. However three years on and a lot fatter now haha I doubt I could even finish it. I also started taking ADHD medication after a late in life diagnosis. It basically a stimulant and since then I’ve been a bit scared of doing any strenuous exercise. Might have a go at a very slow, ploddy 5k soon.  

15 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Pre- lockdown I was down to 22 minutes which, at 40 and never having run before, I was very pleased with. However three years on and a lot fatter now haha I doubt I could even finish it. I also started taking ADHD medication after a late in life diagnosis. It basically a stimulant and since then I’ve been a bit scared of doing any strenuous exercise. Might have a go at a very slow, ploddy 5k soon.  

Pleased?! I'd have been ECSTATIC

• Haha 1

It's amazing how quick you (I) lose it.

May '21 did my 5k PB of 23.58 but haven't ran since as I was burning too many calories/losing weight.

Tried again today and did 4km in 30 mins but couldn't carry on.

Scary how much my stamina has regressed in only 18 months :(

53 minutes ago, Izzy said:

May '21 did my 5k PB of 23.58 but haven't ran since as I was burning too many calories/losing weight.

Your PB is still a second better than mine!

I've been reminded of the importance of strength/conditioning recently, and really wasn't doing any of it, so I've started doing a few lunges here and there and a bit of core work and it feels like it's helping already.

Did a 5k yesterday which I expected to be super slow as I was being really cautious as there was a high risk of slipping and falling on my arse. Although I certainly didn't pull up any trees with my time, it was a lot quicker than I expected and didn't feel much effort so maybe the strength stuff is having an effect

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yes, the drop off gets sharper as you get older. I’ve not really run for a while either. I noticed I’d lost a whole minute for K. Rough going. 

On 16/01/2023 at 11:43, CosbehFox said:

I am going through the same tbh. Half Marathon in March - I was hopeful of lowering my PB from 1hr 57 to 1hr 55. However in the aftermath of Christmas, times and stamina have fell off a cliff. It's just going to be a case of working really hard with training to see where I am in March but yeah it's knocked my confidence and belief too. 

Thankfully today I've woke up and feel the best I have done in a long time so maybe Saturday's diet of 6.5 miles followed by 10 pints was all that was needed. lol

By the way anyone with nagging issues, after some decent discipline on diet, training, adding some stretches - this Saturday morning saw 5:30/k over 14.3k - so it's getting there now. Didn't feel too bad after either. 

Looking forward to tonights intervals :surrender:

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 11:31, Voll Blau said:

PB yesterday: 25.31.

Want to go sub 25 next but my knee's paying for the effort this morning, so one step at a time...

Well off the pace with this having not done any running (last one was a 10k) since November, though reading through this I'm far from the only one who's struggled to get out of bed and motivated due to the winter which is reassuring.

Trying to slog my way back to fitness and have managed two 5ks this week, nowhere near the speed I was at when I was at my peak just before my wedding. Wanted to get to sub-30 today and was just over after my first run on Tuesday came in at over 31. Just going to try and knock a little bit of time off on the same route each time I go out. Loved the feeling of being able to wear whatever I fancied last summer without worrying about how I looked for the first time in years, so keeping that in mind as motivation.

• Like 1