Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I’m not proper serious mate. I’m going to start doing the whole running thing but cycling is where I spend cash. 

Some decent priced trainers in that outlet Dave, check em out.

I got some gel contends 7 for under £30

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Oh god, my ex is from Ket'rin.

She said it exactly like that too lol

Do you ever drink in the Earl of Dalkeith? 

No mate. Don’t actually live in town so I tend to spend my social hours clutching a bottle of tramp wine at the bus stop in the village that never sees a bus. 

33 minutes ago, Raj said:

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/black-friday/c/ao100000000/

Have a butchers above.

IF your proper serious get your gait analysed to see how you run, overpronate, neutral etc.

You can YouTube how to do this at home, using paper and wetting your feet.

I've used asics, new balance and Reebok- all do great running trainers.

There's some value on there Raj.

Coming soon to a place near you from your Amazon driver lol

Screenshot_20221126_205214_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Raj said:

Not colourful enough mate🤣🤣🤣

So bloody comfy though. I think mine are gel cumulus or nimbus?

Legend has it that Man Utd never had any pictures of them taken back in the day when they were doing running, for sponsorship reasons.

Fergie insisted they all wore Asics, not the 'official sponsors' footwear. 

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Invest in a decent pair of Asics

Incredible trainers. I wear a pair to do my deliveries everyday as I walk a lot of miles.

Saucony and New Balance are worth looking at too.

Don't be tempted by anything that looks cool, the vast majority of Nike's are fashion shoes and won't do the job.

Agreed with this

• Like 1

I always had Asics and they served me well. Make sure you try some models and get your feet assessed to work out pronation and what support you need in shoes. It really makes a difference.

More recently I have been running in Brooks shoes, these are also worth considering.

The best fitting pair personally are New Balance. However, I only have trail shoes from them.

Always look for deals on older models as you can save a lot of £.

• Like 1

Enjoying this trainer thread. I do run in Nike trainers but perhaps need to reassess. I’m 56 and do 5k in anything between 28 to 31 minutes depending on the weather. I do one 10k per month which pushes me to my limits - did a PB of 57 minutes in March.

Bizarrely I know I run quicker on bright and chilly days. I simply feel stronger when it’s sunny, which is a bit bonkers really.

• Like 4

Im on day 29 of 5k a day throughout November for charity. It’s been a challenging month as my usual approach to running has been just get it done as quickly as possible. I soon realised that wouldn’t work this month and I’ve had to be a lot more conservative. Despite the ankles and knees feeling it now I’ve enjoyed it but I won’t miss going everyday. I’ve averaged 25-27mins across the month with my fastest coming in at around 23:30, contemplating going all out for my last run and trying to beat a 21:50 PB. 

• Like 3

Glad this thread got a bump. 

Took running up again this month, for the first time since I was in hospital exactly a year ago. Managed doing 5k in 24:08 and 10k in 55:32. However I’ve ended up getting symptoms back in my knees last week so looking like I’m going to have to give it up. Which is a shame as it’s a bit stress reliever for me and takes my mind off a lot. 

• Like 1

After a bit of experimentation I’ve found a good route now…. Will be out later on and I’m aiming to do 5km 2 or 3 times a week…. Good to be back as I’ve lost the habit a little in the last year or two and been a bit stop/ start

Does everyone stick to consistent routes or do you like to chop and change?

Oh, and Brooks are the best running shoes hands down

4 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Took running up again this month, for the first time since I was in hospital exactly a year ago. Managed doing 5k in 24:08 and 10k in 55:32. However I’ve ended up getting symptoms back in my knees last week so looking like I’m going to have to give it up. Which is a shame as it’s a bit stress reliever for me and takes my mind off a lot. 

Do you mind me asking what the symptoms are related to? Is it a running related injury or an illnesss that means running is definitely off the table? 

Just popped out and did 2 miles, 8 min mile pace which would put me on course for beating my PB in the next few months if I could keep that up over 5k, which I probably can't at the minute.

The Garmin watch I got a couple of months ago has got me doing cadence drills and it has really changed my running style, and it does feel more efficient

18 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Is cycling an alternative or will it still aggrevate the injury? Usually it's a little easier on the knees impact wise and you still get out.

On 27/11/2022 at 07:44, Harpenden Fox said:

Enjoying this trainer thread. I do run in Nike trainers but perhaps need to reassess. I’m 56 and do 5k in anything between 28 to 31 minutes depending on the weather. I do one 10k per month which pushes me to my limits - did a PB of 57 minutes in March.

Bizarrely I know I run quicker on bright and chilly days. I simply feel stronger when it’s sunny, which is a bit bonkers really.

I completely understand that. Love running outside during the summer months. Its hotter but that feel of heat really motivates me. Right now, my running is very much treadmill based. 

23 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Do you mind me asking what the symptoms are related to? Is it a running related injury or an illnesss that means running is definitely off the table? 

Last year I suffered with something called Vasculitis. Which is basically inflammation of blood vessels and this effected all my muscle and joints. Lasted around 2 months but keeps flaring up. I reckon my left knee is in pretty poor shape however as it was dodgy before all this.  

@KrefelderFox666 feel like cycling could potentially be an option, as less stress on knees I guess, just don’t really fancy getting into it for some reason 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 17:21, goody2028 said:

Last year I suffered with something called Vasculitis. Which is basically inflammation of blood vessels and this effected all my muscle and joints. Lasted around 2 months but keeps flaring up. I reckon my left knee is in pretty poor shape however as it was dodgy before all this.  

@KrefelderFox666 feel like cycling could potentially be an option, as less stress on knees I guess, just don’t really fancy getting into it for some reason 

My experience with running has been there are usually ways to manage yourself through things like a  walk run walk approach-the obvious issue is this is more like a training approach than just getting out to run for the fun of it. Also not sure how sensible it is for a medical condition instead of an injury. May be worth having some rest and then easing back in with smaller distances and plenty of time between runs and building up. Cycling definitely sounds like a good alternative, but I'm like you in that it's never took my fancy!

Hope you can carry on doing something mate!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here run with their dog? Ours (a sproodle) is just coming up to 18 months so thinking of getting started with him tomorrow. We’ve got some great trails off the back of our estate that go through fields and some woods. Hoping it gives

me a bit more motivation to get out in the wintery months.

Just started to try and get back in to running.  My weight has crept up over the last few years to 17.5 stone.....  I've guilted myself into having to run by buying a Garmin Fenix 6 watch as a training aid..... Hopefully I feel guilty enough to follow the coach to 5k plan it has generated for me!!