Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Just started to try and get back in to running.  My weight has crept up over the last few years to 17.5 stone.....  I've guilted myself into having to run by buying a Garmin Fenix 6 watch as a training aid..... Hopefully I feel guilty enough to follow the coach to 5k plan it has generated for me!!

A Fenix 6? That's a high level of guilt!

Seriously though, those programmes are really good. Mine has improved my technique, not just my speed and fitness (although it's all gone bit to crap over the festive period admittedly)

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A Fenix 6? That's a high level of guilt!

Seriously though, those programmes are really good. Mine has improved my technique, not just my speed and fitness (although it's all gone bit to crap over the festive period admittedly)

It was on offer at £299 and I had £125 of vouchers, so I figured it was only "really" costing the same as a cheaper android watch.... It was a bit of a steal at that price. 

• Like 1

I managed to get below 30 minutes about a month ago, started again just before Christmas and today I did it in 31:30. 

I usually only go once a week because my shins can’t take it, today was my second run in 4 days so struggled abit. I was running on grass but my last couple haven’t been.

Did my first parkrun on Saturday since covid. Boy, I felt it. My heart rate was through the roof most of it. Managed 31 min 40, which is slower than previous times (I only started in 2021) but I was absolutely knackered, which really wasn't the case before Covid. 

Think it'll be a slow and steady buildup again. Back to running intervals I think and skipping rope. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Would an elliptical trainer give an accurate 5km time compared to a straight, flat run?

It would give you a decent idea. But I do get a different type of time on there compared to an actual run. Usually quicker on a treadmill

Running outdoors will include changes in temperature, corners, wind and roads generally 

10 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Did my first parkrun on Saturday since covid. Boy, I felt it. My heart rate was through the roof most of it. Managed 31 min 40, which is slower than previous times (I only started in 2021) but I was absolutely knackered, which really wasn't the case before Covid. 

Think it'll be a slow and steady buildup again. Back to running intervals I think and skipping rope. 

I've already managed to a pull my calf...... so my "Long Run" on Sunday amounted to 7 minutes... 

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I've already managed to a pull my calf...... so my "Long Run" on Sunday amounted to 7 minutes... 

do you do stretches before? When I play football I do a 7 minute yoga warm up and I’ve never pulled a muscle since it started.

Th

There may be other motivation to watch this if you are that way inclined.