Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
Sly

The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)

Recommended Posts

Posted

Finished Northampton in 2:07. 

 

Happy with that considering I didn't train at all.. Hopefully I'll bring my time down to under 2 like I usually do when I actually make the effort.

 

Great day out though. Northampton's route was surprisingly decent.

  • Like 2
Posted
On 09/09/2026 at 11:34, BristolBasedFox said:

20 done abroad now, started with taking the family now just with mates. Great experience and way to see a city. Took in Ferencvaros v Ujpest - local Budapest derby on Sunday - amazing atmosphere. How I miss those European nights :(

Didn't do the Ultimate Athletics Champs???

  • Haha 1
Posted

Been back on this train for 6 weeks and after last nights 4k, Runna updated my pacings again and put me down as 41 minutes for 5k, with 37 possible in 5 weeks. 

Sounds shit in comparrison to some of the stuff you guys can do, but I was 14 stone when I was running before on meds that made it all but impossible to lose weight. I was able to run 45's whilst shifting that, so these days being down to 11 I can go like a greased weasel. Don't gain leg muscle as quick, but it is good to run and not have your heart rate going over 180s, blood pressure that could blow the top of your head off and sleep apnoea. 

Just got to deal with the fact my god damn T-band gets sore and I have not found a good way to stretch it out yet. 

  • Like 3
Posted
20 hours ago, 09bballer said:

Yeah, the atmosphere was buzzing, helped a lot by the fantastic weather. I've done the London Marathon twice and that's the closest atmosphere to London at a running event. I'd recommend for anyone to do it if they get the chance. Dead well organised I thought. I managed 1 hour 42 mins, quite happy with that time in the heat.

The atmosphere yesterday was far superior to that of London. I’ve been lucky enough to run London a few times and there are points were the support is really sparse. Yesterday was wall to wall people with no gaps and the energy from them was incredible.

 

And yes, with yesterday being half marathon number 20 something I said I’d never run another official half again so naturally I entered the ballot for next year. 

  • Haha 1
Posted
On 14/09/2026 at 12:35, ramboacdc said:

Been back on this train for 6 weeks and after last nights 4k, Runna updated my pacings again and put me down as 41 minutes for 5k, with 37 possible in 5 weeks. 

Sounds shit in comparrison to some of the stuff you guys can do, but I was 14 stone when I was running before on meds that made it all but impossible to lose weight. I was able to run 45's whilst shifting that, so these days being down to 11 I can go like a greased weasel. Don't gain leg muscle as quick, but it is good to run and not have your heart rate going over 180s, blood pressure that could blow the top of your head off and sleep apnoea. 

Just got to deal with the fact my god damn T-band gets sore and I have not found a good way to stretch it out yet. 

Well done on keeping at it and getting back to it. You're faster than everyone on the sofa. 

 

Comparison is the thief of joy / loads of people in this thread post 'odd' stuff like "I was only doing something slow like 04:30 per KM" 

 

I mean, obviously those kind of paces aren't slow by any means, so it's either a weird humblebrag, lack of clarifying language 'this is slow, for me' or they don't know what is considered fast/slow (which seems unlikely, given the level of running experience on display).  

 

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Dreadful dreadful "easy" run in Lisbon this morning. Way too stop and start, too hilly, too windy. Crap! 

 

Also. I don't have Strava. Very deliberately. I don't feel the need to put the details of my runs online and I really don't want to see everyone else's cherry picked runs from when they are feeling great but hear nothing when they are in the trenches. But the bleed of running content onto other social media platforms recently is really noticeable. I've seen back to back to back stories of track sessions, tempo runs, new long run records on Facebook this evening, which compounded my disappointment with how I got on this morning. Keep runs on Strava/Garmin/NRC etc only please!

  • Like 1
Posted

Mixed bag at the GNR on Sunday. Started soooo far back as the congestion to the start was worse than ever, presumably due to Burnham running. I'd never seen so many active snipers on top of high-rise buildings etc. Felt very end of days.

 

Got around in 1:26, but had hoped for a couple of minutes quicker - killed off by the undulating miles between 8-12. Ultimately I think events like the GNR and London are more about the experience than the time, though.

 

Managed to bag a place for Abingdon Marathon in mid-October. Has anybody run that before?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Dreadful dreadful "easy" run in Lisbon this morning. Way too stop and start, too hilly, too windy. Crap! 

 

Also. I don't have Strava. Very deliberately. I don't feel the need to put the details of my runs online and I really don't want to see everyone else's cherry picked runs from when they are feeling great but hear nothing when they are in the trenches. But the bleed of running content onto other social media platforms recently is really noticeable. I've seen back to back to back stories of track sessions, tempo runs, new long run records on Facebook this evening, which compounded my disappointment with how I got on this morning. Keep runs on Strava/Garmin/NRC etc only please!

 

Majority of running social media/strava is absolute guff. You have people wearing super shoes running 25 minute 5k's, people glorifying nailing bicarb before runs. Bin 

Edited by JonnyBoy
Posted
5 minutes ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

The scorching summer runathon has paid dividends, walloped my 5km PB the other day that had stood for 13 years.

Coincidentally beat my time running in the exact same pair of beaten up Sauconys that I set the original PB in.

16:21

 

****ing hell mate

Posted

Had to have a few days off as I’ve got a horrendous cold, hopefully get a full nights sleep and wake up feeling better so I can get back out tomorrow. Aiming for a quicker time in Leicester is now probably off the cards.

Posted

Confidence built now for Manchester Half 

 

A good 19k on Monday. The training is paying off now. Long distance is getting easier 

 

I’m a good year away from my PB I think but I’ve really enjoyed the comeback. 6 minute k’s coming down to 5:33 k’s 

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Back at it after a few days off last week. A decent quick 10k on the treadmill while increasing the pace to see how I got on. If I can double that in the Leicester half I should get my PB but still probably unlikely.

 

Anyone done the Newport marathon? Apparently one of the best for a PB so I’m tempted, every one I’ve done so far hasn’t been the flattest so I’m tempted to see what I can do.

Posted (edited)

Probably wrong thread but thought I’d ask here. 
I snapped my ACL almost 2 years ago and at my age I’m not going to play football again.  I miss it a lot

 

I am back to being able to run 5k but the twists and turns of 5 a side are beyond me

 

has anyone tried walking football and know of any places in Leicester doing it?  I checked the FA website and every contact email is either bouncing back or being ignored 

 

thanks in advance! 

Edited by FLAN
Posted

In my best ever running groove right now. Only started running back in March 2025, with Couch to 5K. 

 

Currently on a 27 week streak and have completed 70 out of 81 possible runs in that time (I run 3 times a week). 33 out of 33 runs in the last 11 weeks. 

  • Like 3
Posted
5 hours ago, FLAN said:

Probably wrong thread but thought I’d ask here. 
I snapped my ACL almost 2 years ago and at my age I’m not going to play football again.  I miss it a lot

 

I am back to being able to run 5k but the twists and turns of 5 a side are beyond me

 

has anyone tried walking football and know of any places in Leicester doing it?  I checked the FA website and every contact email is either bouncing back or being ignored 

 

thanks in advance! 

I might be wrong, but I’m sure I saw something on Leicester in the community’s (the club account) promoting it on social media. If you contact them, I recon they’ll give you details.

  • Like 1
Posted
5 hours ago, FLAN said:

Probably wrong thread but thought I’d ask here. 
I snapped my ACL almost 2 years ago and at my age I’m not going to play football again.  I miss it a lot

 

I am back to being able to run 5k but the twists and turns of 5 a side are beyond me

 

has anyone tried walking football and know of any places in Leicester doing it?  I checked the FA website and every contact email is either bouncing back or being ignored 

 

thanks in advance! 

couple of places in Hinckley do it however they tend to be in the day time so not sure what / if you have any work commitments. 

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, VLC86 said:

I might be wrong, but I’m sure I saw something on Leicester in the community’s (the club account) promoting it on social media. If you contact them, I recon they’ll give you details.

Play along side Reid?

Posted

Just did sub 24 at Abbey Park Parkrun. That’s been a really long hard run mentally and physically to get back towards these times. As ever with your PBs, this was a surprise but I felt so strong in the mid part 

  • Like 4
Posted

As I get the opportunity to post here once in a blue moon I might as well make the most of the opportunity.

 

Seagrave Scurry with the lad this morning. Nice event aimed at kids and was thankfully dry so didn’t have to scramble through the brook (twice) like previous years.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Just did sub 24 at Abbey Park Parkrun. That’s been a really long hard run mentally and physically to get back towards these times. As ever with your PBs, this was a surprise but I felt so strong in the mid part 

Great time. I am not a fan of park runs but my old man reckons Abbey Park is the best one in Leicester. I think he did his PB there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...