Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Mladen Sormaz - Head of Analytics departing

My money is on joining Dan Ashworth at Newcastle

I think Dan is officially 'Sporting Director' but was Technical Director in his roles with West Brom and England which involved having an eye for some very talented staff.

Could be completely wrong of course, but timing seems interesting.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, AjcW said:

My money is on joining Dan Ashworth at Newcastle

I think Dan is officially 'Sporting Director' but was Technical Director in his roles with West Brom and England which involved having an eye for some very talented staff.

Could be completely wrong of course, but timing seems interesting.

Someone on twitter has mentioned Newcastle so you may well be correct pal!

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's annoying how well Newcastle are operating, it's like they've got people running the show that have a brain. Why arent't they spunking their money on old deadwood that'll take them years to shift?!

They've seen what Everton have done and wisely avoided that. Wood, Burn & Targett were short-medium term signings which were exactly what they needed but the Guimaraes & Ektike signings are exactly the sort of signings incredibly switched on clubs make.

Guimaraes is already one of the best midfielders in the league, his next move will be to PSG/Real I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

They've seen what Everton have done and wisely avoided that. Wood, Burn & Targett were short-medium term signings which were exactly what they needed but the Guimaraes & Ektike signings are exactly the sort of signings incredibly switched on clubs make.

Guimaraes is already one of the best midfielders in the league, his next move will be to PSG/Real I think.

Absolutely, they've signed a couple of medium term players that at worst will become dependable back ups and then they've started looking in that 21-24 age bracket where players are good enough to start but a mega club isn't willing to take a punt. 

Paqueta looks like he'll be a very decent buy and will also be helped by having Guimares and Joelinton there. Very interested to see how Newcastle continue to do business, but if they keep their heads, they'll be in a position to be looking for 70-80 points within a couple of seasons at this rate.

An important one for them is finding a striker that will get the goals that Callum Wilson can get them, but who is actually able to play a full season of games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

An important one for them is finding a striker that will get the goals that Callum Wilson can get them

They're signing this kid https://fbref.com/en/players/5b92d896/Hugo-Ekitike

Between Wood, Wilson & Ekitike they'll get 20-25 from them you'd have thought. Long term recruitment is the most important factor in running a club well. You can change a manager relatively cheaply and quickly, you can't build a squad cheaply or quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

what exactly does a head of analytics do?

Well as head of anything, he gets teams to do the majority of the work and he'll report back on what they find lol 

But it's in categories in football, so some analysts will put packages together for players to help them tactically. Some analysts will be used for scouting purposes and some will be used for oppposition analysis.

Essentially he would have worked with leaders accross Transfers, Training and Match Prep/Debrief 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Well as head of anything, he gets teams to do the majority of the work and he'll report back on what they find lol 

But it's in categories in football, so some analysts will put packages together for players to help them tactically. Some analysts will be used for scouting purposes and some will be used for oppposition analysis.

Essentially he would have worked with leaders accross Transfers, Training and Match Prep/Debrief 

then maybe he should cop some flack for how badly prepared we have seemed to be in some matches then.

27 minutes ago, MPH said:

then maybe he should cop some flack for how badly prepared we have seemed to be in some matches then.

Well it depends, have you ever been head of something and had an ego maniac for a boss who listens for a bit and then tells you he’s going to go in a completely different direction anyway? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the replies to his tweet are interesting. Jose Fontes our former scout saying 'paramount to our success the last 3 years' and another funny one of 'the king of all geeks' lol 

Whilst it's a shame to lose people like this, we'll move on as always, and I think 3 years is a good stint anywhere these days.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MPH said:

The big problem with analytics in football is getting listened to. The analysts will have flagged all sorts of issue with our set pieces but if the manager doesn't think it's an issue then it doesn't matter what they say.

In October Rodgers denied set pieces were a consistent problem for us, we only had the 17th worst record back then, we ended up conceding the most goals from set pieces lol 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The big problem with analytics in football is getting listened to. The analysts will have flagged all sorts of issue with our set pieces but if the manager doesn't think it's an issue then it doesn't matter what they say.

In October Rodgers denied set pieces were a consistent problem for us, we only had the 17th worst record back then, we ended up conceding the most goals from set pieces lol 

I think it's even worse then that, didn't we break the record for most goals conceded from set pieces in PL history.

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

They're signing this kid https://fbref.com/en/players/5b92d896/Hugo-Ekitike

Between Wood, Wilson & Ekitike they'll get 20-25 from them you'd have thought. Long term recruitment is the most important factor in running a club well. You can change a manager relatively cheaply and quickly, you can't build a squad cheaply or quickly.

So looking at those stats I was expecting to see someone in the Alexis Sanchez mould, low centre of gravity with good dribbling skills, hardworking with an eye for goal. Couldn't believe when I watched a highlights package and saw Peter Crouch doing bits like that lol