Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Mladen Sormaz - Head of Analytics departing

4 hours ago, brookfox said:

Always find it interesting to see Man City bottom (or top depending how you look at it!) of these tables. I always associate them with passing and movement but they’re also very well drilled, strong and well versed in the dirty side of the game.

That's what happens when you have a "Set-piece guru" - Carlos Vicens - they scored 21 goals from set pieces as well. He was set to leave them, but is now staying https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-city-news-coach-agreement-27124448.

Without necessarily turning this into another thread rehashing the same themes, whatever money we have set aside for the analytics team, we surely can find some funds to invest in a set-piece guru of our own??

Two gone now (him and Congerton) right when we are 'shaking up' the squad ..   apparently Brendan will be more involved as replacements won't be joining for a bit (I read somewhere we had someone in mind) ...  hey ho.  :mellow:

Also read that stats wise (using special algorithms and computer wizardry) ..   Soumare was 'brilliant' !! ....   in that case good riddance you wally !!   :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Two gone now (him and Congerton) right when we are 'shaking up' the squad ..   apparently Brendan will be more involved as replacements won't be joining for a bit (I read somewhere we had someone in mind) ...  hey ho.  :mellow:

Also read that stats wise (using special algorithms and computer wizardry) ..   Soumare was 'brilliant' !! ....   in that case good riddance you wally !!   :thumbup:

Soumare's passing and dribbling were very good for Lille but there were lots of other concerning stats, especially defensively 

20 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

I work with data daily at the database level, reporting. Time to apply lol

The analytics I compiled alone on my stool movements is fascinating.

Do you do analytics on all of your furniture locations?

Edited by norwichfox
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brookfox said:

Always find it interesting to see Man City bottom (or top depending how you look at it!) of these tables. I always associate them with passing and movement but they’re also very well drilled, strong and well versed in the dirty side of the game.

I have no proof that this is the case but I suspect that's mainly because they face fewer set pieces than everyone else. The best way to avoid conceding from set pieces is to prevent them altogether and the best way to do that is to never let the opposition have the ball. 

12 minutes ago, Guest said:

I have no proof that this is the case but I suspect that's mainly because they face fewer set pieces than everyone else. The best way to avoid conceding from set pieces is to prevent them altogether and the best way to do that is to never let the opposition have the ball. 

I've looked into this recently, they're very good at defending the amount they face even if it's a much lower amount 

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Soumare's passing and dribbling were very good for Lille but there were lots of other concerning stats, especially defensively 

It was someone on here as i recall, who had a friend in the player analysis business, that told him all the 'algorithms' showed Soumare in a very positive light, but other clubs (seeing the same as we could see) walked away ..  he implied that sometimes you had to ignore pure stats, which they did ...  but obviously we didn't. 

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

It was someone on here as i recall, who had a friend in the player analysis business, that told him all the 'algorithms' showed Soumare in a very positive light, but other clubs (seeing the same as we could see) walked away ..  he implied that sometimes you had to ignore pure stats, which they did ...  but obviously we didn't. 

It was @StriderHiryu if I recall

This is why analytics has to be married up with traditional scouting (it usually is at clubs). Under Pearson, as a club we emphasised personality in recruitment to a level I've never seen since, with Soumare it looks as though we probably didn't do our due diligence on what he's like as a person well enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I've looked into this recently, they're very good at defending the amount they face even if it's a much lower amount 

Out of interest when defending are they defending against the same amount of players say we would have to defend against..I know it’s 11 v 11
What I mean is did the opposition commit as many players into a corner v’s Man C to what they would against us for instance knowing if they lose the ball it’s Man C that’s breaking on them?

Just thinking that’s all, maybe they are just bloody good at defending 

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Its way too early to know if Soumaré will come good or not, disappointing as he might have been so far. For the hype he had, £15m(?) was a steal at the time. A lot of us want to look for rough diamonds - he could have been, and still might be, one of them.

On the subject of Sormaz leaving, that sucks. He seemed very switched on and is highly regarded in his field. Hopefully we bring someone in to take us up another level.

Edited by CloudFox

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Fair enough, I guess it makes sense given how meticulous Pep and his team are and also the individual ability of players like Dias, Laporte, Rodri and Stones. There is obviously quite a lot more to it than just having big players which makes the fact that Rodgers' plan to fix it seems to be bringing in some height and aggression a bit concerning, not that it wouldn't help.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brookfox said:

Surprised Liverpool concede so many considering they have the joint best defence in the PL.