Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phil Bowman

Reactions to transfer targets/rumours/signings

I love the massively negative reactions to pretty much anyone we’re linked with. I reckon you can never predict how a player will turn out.

I’m going to list eleven Leicester players (chosen entirely at random 😉) - how many of these were massively exciting at the time, and how many seemed distinctly underwhelming?

Schmeichel, Simpson, Fuchs, Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Kante, Albrighton, Mahrez, Okazaki, Vardy.

• Like 4

A lot of the reaction is imho the expected language of football fans. A grammar or anticipated level of discourse, if you like. It's a form of humour too, and part of the game. 

It makes the highs higher if it's against expectation. And it's the highs we're in it for, so you start with less than zero expectation.

Edited by taupe

To be fair, the players we're being linked with do look underwhelming statistically and don't appear to fix our problems. I think our more recent recruitment also allows for us to feel apprehensive about incomings.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I love the massively negative reactions to pretty much anyone we’re linked with. I reckon you can never predict how a player will turn out.

I’m going to list eleven Leicester players (chosen entirely at random 😉) - how many of these were massively exciting at the time, and how many seemed distinctly underwhelming?

Schmeichel, Simpson, Fuchs, Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Kante, Albrighton, Mahrez, Okazaki, Vardy.

Exciting/Really positive: Schmeichel, Fuchs, Huth, Kante, Mahrez, Okazaki, Albrighton, Vardy, Drinkwater. All of these represented either great business or the potential to be great signings.

Positive: Morgan and that's only because we had 6 million centre backs at the time.

Indifferent: Simpson. He's the only one of those where I thought he wasn't particularly exciting because De Laet was obviously a more attacking full back and seemed to have more scope to improve. Still seemed a solid signing though.

4 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Are you saying we might win the league if we sign that Man Utd reserve/youth player and the reject winger from Atlanta?

Well… er… no.

But I am saying that nobody said we were going to win the league when we signed, among others, a Man U reserve midfielder, a skinny bloke from the French second division and a 25 year old who’d never played league football.

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Exciting/Really positive: Schmeichel, Fuchs, Huth, Kante, Mahrez, Okazaki, Albrighton, Vardy, Drinkwater. All of these represented either great business or the potential to be great signings.

Positive: Morgan and that's only because we had 6 million centre backs at the time.

Indifferent: Simpson. He's the only one of those where I thought he wasn't particularly exciting because De Laet was obviously a more attacking full back and seemed to have more scope to improve. Still seemed a solid signing though.

Well I congratulate you on your prescience!

But I suggest you were probably more excited by a lot of these than most people were.

6 minutes ago, sdb said:

To be fair, the players we're being linked with do look underwhelming statistically and don't appear to fix our problems. I think our more recent recruitment also allows for us to feel apprehensive about incomings.

I suspect a lot of people attach far too much importance to statistics these days!

13 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well… er… no.

But I am saying that nobody said we were going to win the league when we signed, among others, a Man U reserve midfielder, a skinny bloke from the French second division and a 25 year old who’d never played league football.

Difference is they were bought for their underlying stats, which these new signings don't appear to be particularly groundbreaking in.

Granted, Boga puts up decent dribbling and shot creation action stats, but very poor goal creating action stats. Very poor pressures per 90, very poor blocks and in the bottom 2% of interceptions per 90 for attacking midfielders/wingers. Bottom 8% for goals per 90, and he's in the bottom 28% for assists per 90.

It's just underwhelming.

Edited by Beechey

Agreed. People write players off before they are even signed or kicked a ball 

Additionally people put up scout reports and instantly write them off cos they see a green or red line and have absolutely no idea what it means and then make an instant judgement.

It's just the society we live in today. Instant judgement before we've even seen the player play in a new team with a new style, new tactics, new environment and in the flesh over a reasonable period of time to make an informed unbiased opinion.

Having worked in football analysis for a number of years for various professional clubs (which I have now left)  stats are there to guide you but do not tell the whole picture, are relative and miss out various important factors of each and every player action.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

My honest thoughts at the time we bought each player

Schmeichel - happy, wondered how we managed to buy him from their club

Simpson- thought he'd be a troublemaker

Fuchs - very happy we managed to bag someone with champions league experience at a biggish german club

Morgan - see Kasper

Huth - see Kasper

Drinkwater - generally ok but rejected Man U youth players are a lottery 

Kante - heard he played a bit like Makalele so was happy enough.  

Albrighton - see Kasper

Mahrez - excited by the flair

Okazaki - thought he'd be the next Ulloa

Vardy - meh (please forgive me Lord)

Granted I didnt see many of them play before we bought them and only based opinions on what I'd heard or 2012 youtube.

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Agreed. People write players off before they are even signed or kicked a ball 

Additionally people put up scout reports and instantly write them off cos they see a green or red line and have absolutely no idea what it means and then make an instant judgement.

It's just the society we live in today. Instant judgement before we've even seen the player play in a new team with a new style, new tactics, new environment and in the flesh over a reasonable period of time to make an informed unbiased opinion.

Having worked in football analysis for a number of years for various professional clubs (which I have now left)  stats are there to guide you but do not tell the whole picture, are relative and miss out various important factors of each and every player action.

Yet those same stats did work well for us with Kante/Vardy etc?

I get what you’re saying mate but if a player doesn’t currently press there is a very strong chance he won’t for us.

A left field comment but a couple of years back Barnes to Liverpool rumours we’re doing the rounds but his lack of pressing surely didn’t help his cause did it?

Every top side plays a high pressing style do they not?

Yeah, the negativity at the moment is the off the scale. 

Things are crap generally around the club at the moment but I think some of the incorrect rumours are feeding this, with one poster saying he'd heard we would likely not get anyone and then couple of hours later, the Faes deal happens, or the Fofana deal potentially falling through. 

Our recruitment ballsed up last summer, hoping they've learned the lessons. The signing of Faes suggests we're going back to our old model. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

17 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well I congratulate you on your prescience!

But I suggest you were probably more excited by a lot of these than most people were.

Thanks, you've made my day. Do I get a good star? :D

In fairness, I am pretty optimistic when it comes to signings and I think that it's a lot easier to do that when you're in the championship/lower level of the Prem as expectations are lower and you're far more likely to find good value or a player that exceeds the level you require. There were plenty of players I was excited about that turned out to be s***, you just happened to pick an era when everything we touched turned to gold!

I do totally get why people are underwhelmed by who we're linked with because the quality of player required to improve the squad, let alone the first eleven is now very high and are these guys going to be up to the task? Who knows.