Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Staff

Rugby Union

On 09/02/2023 at 19:27, Super_horns said:

Basically the rugby version of MK Dons?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475

Very sad news for the loyal fans of the 2 clubs and surely better to let Worcester re start in the Championship?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64623376

Become even more messier now - appears a good chance Wasps to play at Worcester next season 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 20:37, Super_horns said:

England v Wales next for the wooden spoon?!

Can Scotland upset a France or Ireland.

England and Wales will both beat Italy, Scotland will lose by > 10 in Paris and Ireland will win one of the most comfortable grand slams in recent memory. 

Ireland are so far ahead of the rest it's frankly pointless this year. 

I don't really think Scotland are noticeably any better than they have been for the last couple of years, I just think England and Wales are both going through massive transition phases atm. 

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

England and Wales will both beat Italy, Scotland will lose by > 10 in Paris and Ireland will win one of the most comfortable grand slams in recent memory. 

I don't really think Scotland are noticeably any better than they have been for the last couple of years, I just think England and Wales are both going through massive transition phases atm. 

England certainly are, Wales are just a bit shit though.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

This sounds about right.

And yet, come World Cup time, Ireland will still bottle it in the QF again and one of England or France will go furthest of the NH teams.

And of course the AB's to win it, unless France do something special on home soil, which is entirely possible.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

This sounds about right.

And yet, come World Cup time, Ireland will still bottle it in the QF again and one of England or France will go furthest of the NH teams.

And of course the AB's to win it, unless France do something special on home soil, which is entirely possible.

Ireland will probably have to face New Zealand or France in the last 8 so might well be right !

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This sounds about right.

I personally don't actually think that's the case if I'm honest. Everyone memes about the Irish and quarter finals but historically QF finishes have been about their par. Its a bit like the England football team and quarters. It's just your level. 

This Ireland side is a different beast though. They aren't far off peak All Black's. They're really, really good, looking fairly indestructible atm. 

You'd have to be really naive to think England are going further in the WC. 

Edited by Finnegan

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I personally don't actually think that's the case if I'm honest. Everyone memes about the Irish and quarter finals but historically QF finishes have been about their par. Its a bit like the England football team and quarters. It's just your level. 

This Ireland side is a different beast though. They aren't far off peak All Black's. They're really, really good, looking fairly indestructible atm. 

You'd have to be really naive to think England are going further in the WC. 

Ireland do look very good but the draw is difficult. 

England, Wales and Australia are in 1 side of the draw, the other side is stacked. 

It would be some failure if England don't get to the semi and potentailly the final. 

France, SA, Ireland, NZ can all beat each other on a given day. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Ireland do look very good but the draw is difficult. 

England, Wales and Australia are in 1 side of the draw, the other side is stacked. 

It would be some failure if England don't get to the semi and potentailly the final. 

France, SA, Ireland, NZ can all beat each other on a given day. 

The draw has been absolutely scandalous tbh this time lol

Pretty much universal agreement it's done far too early. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The draw has been absolutely scandalous tbh this time lol

Pretty much universal agreement it's done far too early. 

The draw just makes me more certain of my guess tbh.

Ireland will fall apart against NZ or France in the QF. England will (probably) beat Wales in the QF and then lose to either France or NZ in the SF.

Of course, Wales might beat Aus and top the group, but honestly I don't think that likely.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

London Irish look to be in trouble now

Yeah I think been on the cards all season, when Wasps & Worcester went it came out that 2 more clubs were struggling it all pointed towards Irish and I believe Exeter of all teams being the other, maybe that’s why a few top names moving on this summer as well as for their own personal gain.

Could be the beginning of the end for a few clubs as the money just isn’t there in Rugby & wages are very low for elite players anyway driving them overseas, once RFU agree that England can play overseas players there could be a mass exodus.

24 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Yeah I think been on the cards all season, when Wasps & Worcester went it came out that 2 more clubs were struggling it all pointed towards Irish and I believe Exeter of all teams being the other, maybe that’s why a few top names moving on this summer as well as for their own personal gain.

Could be the beginning of the end for a few clubs as the money just isn’t there in Rugby & wages are very low for elite players anyway driving them overseas, once RFU agree that England can play overseas players there could be a mass exodus.

Really isn't good times for english rugby. Once a few start to fall, I can see the rest not being far behind. 

Serious action needs taking sooner rather than later 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Newcastle is the fourth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Newcastle is the fourth. 

As I was typing I thought surely Newcastle must be struggling also but I’m sure I read something about Exeter a while back and how they were needing to drastically cut their cloth then some of their biggest names announced they were leaving so assumed they were in schtuck also.

Just now, BKLFox said:

As I was typing I thought surely Newcastle must be struggling also but I’m sure I read something about Exeter a while back and how they were needing to drastically cut their cloth then some of their biggest names announced they were leaving so assumed they were in schtuck also.

Exeter in part been saved by selling off the hotel at the stadium and parcels of land there too. Bit like Tigers, they have had someone or somehow filled in the gap. 

Feeling at Chiefs judging from Baxter and Rowe is that the club is going to change significantly in what it once was. 

There were rumours a month ago that Newcastle were willing to accept a voluntary relegation. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2023 at 01:40, grobyfox1990 said:

Went to the jersey reds today with clients, was dreading it as thought I’d have to actually watch rugby. Luckily  stayed in the bar and drank all night. I think they won. I can get on with rugby if it’s like this 

Try watching League instead of Union.   Totally different game ... much better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Newcastle is the fourth. 

I always thought Falcons seemed to spend within their means, which explained why they are pretty poor. But thats a bit of a double whammy of they are in trouble financially.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I always thought Falcons seemed to spend within their means, which explained why they are pretty poor. But thats a bit of a double whammy of they are in trouble financially.

They just don’t seem to get crowds. The words was that they were willing to step down to the Championship and concentrate on producing their own players (which for years they did superbly). This is why it’s so important that RFU don’t mess up the second tier 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to Leinster v La Rochelle in the european final later and a welcome distraction from the 3pm premier league kick offs.

It's an odd one with Leinster, as an Irish province and basically the Ireland team minus a small handful of players I should want them to dominate yet I just cant warm to them. On balance I do want them to win but wont be gutted if they dont.

Edited by Nalis