Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Staff

Rugby Union

37 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Gatland is back at Wales

Whats Welsh for its coming home??

Not without Shaun Edwards it isn't. 

If it's genuinely a short term move while they find a better alternative then I've no real objections. 

I don't exactly have a lot of faith in the WRU's long term planning however. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Tigers needing a new coach most likely - Jones facing the sack and RFU want Borthwick with Sinfield 

To early for those pair to go into test rugby I think we safe for now.

I think if Eddie goes they will strike for Scott Robertson before NZ know what they doing with Foster

13 hours ago, BKLFox said:

To early for those pair to go into test rugby I think we safe for now.

I think if Eddie goes they will strike for Scott Robertson before NZ know what they doing with Foster

Dont think so - huge risk to sack jones 9 months before the WC so choosing two Englishmen makes more sense to the RFU. The public will be more forgiving if it all goes TU 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Dont think so - huge risk to sack jones 9 months before the WC so choosing two Englishmen makes more sense to the RFU. The public will be more forgiving if it all goes TU 

We can still ride high in the World Cup,but for me getting an English coaching staff

for the future 10yrs takes more priority…

We can play clever & see if there is a quick fix,with an understanding,that they interface with a wished future English coaching team & manager.

Or like British sport in general over the years, play the Ostrich…

Though I can see nothing wrong in keeping to Cockerill for 6n, and in the background get that desired whole “Gespann” in place to help for the next Wcup

and the next 8-10yrs..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Eddie Jones Sacked. Now im not a fan of Rugby but i know over the years he has been a great coach for England so interesting to see what people thoughts are

He seems to have done well generally but performances have got worse over the last year or two .

Not sure the media and fans ever took to him as can be a bit abrupt and controversial.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Ed Slater Cup game was reported on BTV this morning. Seeing a Tigers player brought down by MND brings the issue closer to home. This recurring and incontrovertible impact related disease is going to keep recurring for decades to come.

What puzzles me is the absence of a reported 'cluster' of occurrences in players of the generations preceding the era of the gradual escalation in muscle mass. It's been apparent that sustained impact of footballs (especially heavy leather) to the forehead resulted in Alzheimers - Astle, Stiles et al. but head-to-head impacts are a regular occurrence in football - possibly more so than in Union or League - which would suggest that MND should be more frequent in football. Which begs my (largely speculative) question as to what's actually causing brain damage to rugby players. Is it actually, as in traffic collisions, the resultant violent movement of the head caused by impact of hyper-muscled bodies colliding? Have players bodies become so heavily 'reinforced' that their heads are acting as conduits for the escape of energy created by these impacts? And, should this possibility instigate a return to playing where the emphasis (or legislation) is on tackling legs and lower body? 

Footballers are still heading (albeit lighter) balls. It's good that kids are being prevented from heading, but the damage comes from competitive games at late teenage years when the testosterone fuelled aggression

kicks in.

Sumo wrestlers in Japan actually are expected to 'nut' heads on commencement of bouts - and brain damage issues are surfacing there.

This situation isn't going to go away unless some exhaustive research and timely decision making gets done.

On 25/12/2022 at 10:38, gerblod said:

The Ed Slater Cup game was reported on BTV this morning. Seeing a Tigers player brought down by MND brings the issue closer to home. This recurring and incontrovertible impact related disease is going to keep recurring for decades to come.

What puzzles me is the absence of a reported 'cluster' of occurrences in players of the generations preceding the era of the gradual escalation in muscle mass. It's been apparent that sustained impact of footballs (especially heavy leather) to the forehead resulted in Alzheimers - Astle, Stiles et al. but head-to-head impacts are a regular occurrence in football - possibly more so than in Union or League - which would suggest that MND should be more frequent in football. Which begs my (largely speculative) question as to what's actually causing brain damage to rugby players. Is it actually, as in traffic collisions, the resultant violent movement of the head caused by impact of hyper-muscled bodies colliding? Have players bodies become so heavily 'reinforced' that their heads are acting as conduits for the escape of energy created by these impacts? And, should this possibility instigate a return to playing where the emphasis (or legislation) is on tackling legs and lower body? 

Footballers are still heading (albeit lighter) balls. It's good that kids are being prevented from heading, but the damage comes from competitive games at late teenage years when the testosterone fuelled aggression

kicks in.

Sumo wrestlers in Japan actually are expected to 'nut' heads on commencement of bouts - and brain damage issues are surfacing there.

This situation isn't going to go away unless some exhaustive research and timely decision making gets done.

Great post..

Trouble is...

Is there anybody ..sports medical science (experts) that know..where and what areas they should be looking for..

Are we chasing our own tails and going up false ally ,to prove we do know what 

We don't know..!!

Applying vocabularies that logically fit,but not worse than in any other walks of life..

I would like,dementia,MND other so called atoned sports disease or problems, COMPARED to actual other varied "normal" walks of life..

Looking for the logically obvious can lead the blind & good meaning media down many a misinterpreted path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Going to Cardiff tomorrow as a neutral fan. 

I've seen Scotland football team play 4 and lose 4 in Cardiff and the rugby team play 3 and lose 3 in Cardiff.

It will be a novel experience coming out of the ground not feeling dejected.....

I'd imagine there will be some sort of appreciation for Eddie Butler pre match. 

The national anthems before Wales Scotland last year was something special since it was the 1st 6 nations game at the Principality after covid. 

As for Scotland this year, got to aim for wins at home v Wales and Italy and give Ireland a game at Murryfield. 

Away losses at Twickenham and Paris guaranteed. 

8 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Not allowed to sing 'Delilah' now. What has the world come to?

Its one of those scenarios when nobody wins.

Banning it riles up the 'It's PC gone mad' crowd, the supposedly 'woke' crowd dont really care and above all else banning it literally does nothing to prevent domestic violence and actually detracts the real efforts and messaging elsewhere that should be making an impact.

19 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Its one of those scenarios when nobody wins.

Banning it riles up the 'It's PC gone mad' crowd, the supposedly 'woke' crowd dont really care and above all else banning it literally does nothing to prevent domestic violence and actually detracts the real efforts and messaging elsewhere that should be making an impact.

I can't believe the 'woke brigade" really don't care. It's their way to challenge everything they don't like. 

Well, you can't change history or the lyrics of an original song just because you don't like it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Super_horns said:

True - a few clubs move around don't they but this seems like basically means Worcester disappear totally. 

Yeah I kind of feel that renaming them Sixways opens the door to move the club elsewhere in the future.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Super_horns said:

True - a few clubs move around don't they but this seems like basically means Worcester disappear totally. 

The name will be back over time - like a lot of non-league clubs who start as something but it changes over time. 

There's an asset in the stadium which is far more than a lot of RU clubs have. Worcester is a decent location for a club too; draws in support from South Brum and Black Country areas. 

For Stourbridge RFC, they see the ability to get themselves out of a hole and keep their club functioning (they have a decent set-up - so I assume the cost of running this is hurting them). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

The name will be back over time - like a lot of non-league clubs who start as something but it changes over time. 

There's an asset in the stadium which is far more than a lot of RU clubs have. Worcester is a decent location for a club too; draws in support from South Brum and Black Country areas. 

For Stourbridge RFC, they see the ability to get themselves out of a hole and keep their club functioning (they have a decent set-up - so I assume the cost of running this is hurting them). 

Stourbridge are interesting. They recently split their second team off into its own club (Stourbridge Lions) so they can compete at a higher level. However, as soon as a player has played 5 matches, they cannot play for the other team. So it's hampered them when injuries hit. Ideally you bring in players from your other teams to fill the first XV. Stourbridge RFC are rock bottom, playing same league as Hinckley.

They are hoping this takeover sorts them out and they march up the leagues. Easier done in rugby than football where quality players can make the difference. Can't see the goal of 2026 Championship rugby be hit though.