Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Staff

Rugby Union

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Looking forward to Leinster v La Rochelle in the european final later and a welcome distraction from the 3pm premier league kick offs.

It's an odd one with Leinster, as an Irish province and basically the Ireland team minus a small handful of players I should want them to dominate yet I just cant warm to them. On balance I do want them to win but wont be gutted if they dont.

I mean if it makes you feel any better ROG is the opposition coach. 

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

What a final that was.

Stupid challenge for the red at the end ruined the grandstand finish in the last couple of minutes when Leinster were deep in La Rochelle's 22.

Not sure why they were pushing for the try rather than manoeuvring field position for the drop goal 

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure why they were pushing for the try rather than manoeuvring field position for the drop goal 

I generally agree but I'm guessing they felt that they were close to getting it as they were making a lot of ground and so close to the try line at the time of the penalty which would have put the game almost definitely out of reach. 

There were a few minutes on the clock so there might have been time for a La Rochelle drop goal of their own.

My guess is that Leinster would have gone through about 5 or so more phases in attempting the try but would have gone for the drop goal if they didnt get the try in that time.

12 hours ago, Nalis said:

What a final that was.

Stupid challenge for the red at the end ruined the grandstand finish in the last couple of minutes when Leinster were deep in La Rochelle's 22.

Yeah I dont watch much rugby but it was brilliant, and a fantastic atmosphere in Dublin too. The rugby matches I've watched are played in near silence I guess its different in Ireland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I generally agree but I'm guessing they felt that they were close to getting it as they were making a lot of ground and so close to the try line at the time of the penalty which would have put the game almost definitely out of reach. 

There were a few minutes on the clock so there might have 

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Yeah I dont watch much rugby but it was brilliant, and a fantastic atmosphere in Dublin too. The rugby matches I've watched are played in near silence I guess its different in Ireland.

Probably the same in Wales maybe International wise ?

I don’t know about club rugby but definitely get a different  sort of fan at Ireland or Wales games than at Twickers where there is a lot of VIP and people out for the day enjoying the rugby .

Could be the same in football now ?

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I don’t know about club rugby but definitely get a difference sort of fan at Ireland or Wales games than at Twickers where there is a lot of VIP and people out for the day enjoying the rugby .

Could be the same in football now ?

Definately.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I don’t know about club rugby but definitely get a different  sort of fan at Ireland or Wales games than at Twickers where there is a lot of VIP and people out for the day enjoying the rugby

I went to this year's England vs France at Twickers, cost me a fortune and it was shit seats

On 02/05/2023 at 16:15, worth_the_wait said:

Try watching League instead of Union.   Totally different game ... much better.

I’ve watched a few league matches on tv and been to every England match in London from 2013-covid, did the 2013 WC semis and final and saw nz in hull at last years WC. It’s an entertaining sport. 

With regards to union I was lucky enough to be there when jersey reds won the championship title, however they or second placed Ealing won’t get promoted as their grounds are too small. Very unfair given how good both teams have been, word is jersey would’ve given the prem a real good go 

So pleased La Rochelle won that, given the blatant Leinster cheating at the breakdown the whole game, and Jaco Peyper oblivious to any of the Leinster shenanigans. Leinster lost 3 games all season and won nothing - hilarious ! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

London Irish have been kicked out of the leagues .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65819546

Sad, now here starts the clamour for Arundell I wonder who will get him, it’ll be Sarries or Sale I bet.

They have a few decent players tbf, wouldn’t be to upset with Ben White returning and the coach himself Declan Kidney big name in the game

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

So disheartening to see 3 pretty big clubs just disappearing in a year, and the Prem/RFU not giving a care about any of it. 

The blame seems to be on the COVID situation and clubs over stretching themselves financially.

Sounds very familiar!

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

The blame seems to be on the COVID situation and clubs over stretching themselves financially.

Sounds very familiar!

Covid really did hit them hard. There’s nowhere near the TV money like the premier league. They rely on gate receipts and match day revenue. 

Losing a third home game and all the revenue that goes with it isn’t great for the remaining clubs either. 

Some clubs will have had the benefit of the revenue from Wasps/Worcester home games last year, the Tigers weren’t one of them. Going from 12 to 9 clubs now means 25% drop in game day income. 

There needs to be radical changes in how the game is run across the board. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Sounds very familiar!

They're all having to repay covid loans which probably isn't helping either. 

1 minute ago, Livid said:

Covid really did hit them hard. There’s nowhere near the TV money like the premier league. They rely on gate receipts and match day revenue. 

Losing a third home game and all the revenue that goes with it isn’t great for the remaining clubs either. 

Some clubs will have had the benefit of the revenue from Wasps/Worcester home games last year, the Tigers weren’t one of them. Going from 12 to 9 clubs now means 25% drop in game day income. 

Especially when Tigers had to take extra funding to not go into administration, and Exeter having to sell some of their hotels off to stay afloat. 

I'm genuinely unsure what else has to happen for someone  to decide action needs to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Livid said:

The thing is the majority of the Premiership wanted a 10 team league as well. You can see a scenario where Ealing are asked if they fancy making up the numbers. 

This is what happens when you let the clubs dictate the game and you are not fortunate enough to have a safety net of a TV deal. 

• Like 1