Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Leaving FIFA

Not sure this sits right with me.

Where was the uproar and threats to withdraw from FIFA when it was announced Qatar was hosting?

The human rights abuses.

The treatment of women.

The treatment of the LGBTQ community.

None of that “angered” them - but not being able to wear the arm band crossed the line?  

Leaving FIFA is the right thing to do.  Don’t get me wrong.   This reasoning seems odd to me.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

Where was the uproar and threats to withdraw from FIFA when it was announced Qatar was hosting?

The human rights abuses.

The treatment of women.

None of that “angered” them - but not being able to wear the arm band crossed the line?  

Leaving FIFA is the right thing to do.  Don’t get me wrong.   This reasoning seems odd to me.

100% agree! 

…… we should have left when the announced the world cups were going to be in Russia and Qatar. 

Potentially better late than never though. 

1 hour ago, marbles said:

The human rights abuses.

The treatment of women.

To be fair you could also point those fingers at half the world - not least the USA.  Should we boycott a US world cup?

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair you could also point those fingers at half the world - not least the USA.  Should we boycott a US world cup?

Is an attempted deflection your way of saying the issues in Qatar should not be brought up?

But since you misunderstood my post, I’ll try and explain again.

There are far worse things going on in Qatar, than not allowing players to wear armbands.  If countries had no problem with the far worse issues, I now find it hard to believe they have problems with this.

Edited by marbles

36 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hahahah as if. No one is leaving fifa, they’ll see the post World Cup cheques and quickly shut their mouths

The top nations of UEFA and CONMEBOL are confident they can set up a ten team

competition in a similar spirit of confederations cup which will make them individually more than money than the World Cup. 

They share an office in London now - they have done three games to which they make absolute money - the Finalissma, the female Finalissma, Youth Intercontinental Cup.

Nations League in 2024/25 will likely include South American teams. 

Slowly making a play to prove to FIFA that the fortune is those clubs 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The top nations of UEFA and CONMEBOL are confident they can set up a ten team

competition in a similar spirit of confederations cup which will make them individually more than money than the World Cup. 

They share an office in London now - they have done three games to which they make absolute money - the Finalissma, the female Finalissma, Youth Intercontinental Cup.

Nations League in 2024/25 will likely include South American teams. 

Slowly making a play to prove to FIFA that the fortune is those clubs 

I didn’t know that and that is interesting. I’d still be sceptical that they can generate enough revenue to rival a 48 team World Cup in USA in 2026 and Saudi in 2030. But then if there’s enough long term thinkers within uefa, your move above would make sense 

6 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I didn’t know that and that is interesting. I’d still be sceptical that they can generate enough revenue to rival a 48 team World Cup in USA in 2026 and Saudi in 2030. But then if there’s enough long term thinkers within uefa, your move above would make sense 

It’s interesting you say about Saudi in 2030 because I think CONMEBOL will lose their shit if their joint bid doesn’t get 2030 - 100 years of being held in Uruguay etc 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marbles said:

The human rights abuses.

The treatment of women.

All of that did upset the players, that's why they've wanted to protest with the Armband.

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hahahah as if. No one is leaving fifa, they’ll see the post World Cup cheques and quickly shut their mouths

It's probably a bit of a bluff to get FIFA to pay more attention. However, if a few leave and some bigger nations join, then FIFA will really think about their actions. Who would want to watch a FIFA World Cup where the highest ranked team is Ghana (no offence to Ghana, just an example).

I'm all for this. Everybody should be doing everything they can to bring about the end of FIFA as it is.

It's not fit for purpose. It's completely and utterly detached from the modern game, the clubs and the fans. It's amoral, backwards and utterly corrupt to its core, and it feels like it's untouchable.

Fvcking burn it.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I'm all for this. Everybody should be doing everything they can to bring about the end of FIFA as it is.

It's not fit for purpose. It's completely and utterly detached from the modern game, the clubs and the fans. It's amoral, backwards and utterly corrupt to its core, and it feels like it's untouchable.

Fvcking burn it.

The problem is so is UEFA and a few other National Football Associations.

6 hours ago, marbles said:

The human rights abuses.

The treatment of women.

I seem to remember a big uproar when the Russia and Qatar cups were announced. Heck, this is what prompted the US to launch a formal investigation which led to the Baur au Lac arrests, the indictment and suspension of two exec's and basically got the ball rolling. 

There are obviously conflicts of interest as the Qatari have influenced politicians and people with power in many nations. Corruption will shut up many.
I think the resistance within the football community has always been there, but leaving possibly the most powerful sports organization ever is not a decision to take lightly.

I think it's taken a lot of people by surprise how strong the public reaction to this WC has been, but fair play to the FAs who are siding with the wider public in this.
They realise it is more important to maintain a good image with their supporters than to pander and play along, which is absolutely the right thing to do morally and financially.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

The problem is so is UEFA and a few other National Football Associations.

Power nearly always corrupts to some degree. UEFA is not a great organization either, but it's more transparent and kept in better check than FIFA at least.

55 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It's probably a bit of a bluff to get FIFA to pay more attention. However, if a few leave and some bigger nations join, then FIFA will really think about their actions. Who would want to watch a FIFA World Cup where the highest ranked team is Ghana (no offence to Ghana, just an example).

A bluff is what I originally thought, similar to what the big teams in the CL do to extract more money and guaranteed qualification from uefa. Cosbeh fox raises an interesting point about whether Europe and South America can rival fifa. Either way the Asian market now seems key so anyone breaking away will have to be certain of revenue from that market before they consider leaving fifa 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

A bluff is what I originally thought, similar to what the big teams in the CL do to extract more money and guaranteed qualification from uefa. Cosbeh fox raises an interesting point about whether Europe and South America can rival fifa. Either way the Asian market now seems key so anyone breaking away will have to be certain of revenue from that market before they consider leaving fifa 

I do not see the financial reasons to be primary here.

If the Danish FA and German FA, for example, do not act against FIFA, they will lose much support back home and suffer damage to their image which will take years to rebuild. Even for a big country like Germany, I'd expect that losing the connection to home support presents a far bigger existential risk than getting less money from a tournament that comes around every 4 years.

16 minutes ago, shen said:

Power nearly always corrupts to some degree. UEFA is not a great organization either, but it's more transparent and kept in better check than FIFA at least.

Maybe but they do not have the fans at the centre of their thoughts, they’re just as obsessed with making more money rather than a fair and balanced set up.

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

Maybe but they do not have the fans at the centre of their thoughts, they’re just as obsessed with making more money rather than a fair and balanced set up.

Well this is just the nature of capitalism. Very very few in professional football, for whom the importance of fans is financially negligible, will have the fans at the centre of their thoughts.
I would have appreciated if ALL the UEFA nations present (and not present) would stand together in protest. France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Poland, Serbia where are they in this? Why are the US and Canada not more vocal? Heck even Brazil and Argentina with their worldwide appeal should be part of this.

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, shen said:

Well this is just the nature of capitalism. Very very few in professional football, for whom the importance of fans is financially negligible, will have the fans at the centre of their thoughts.
I would have appreciated if ALL the UEFA nations present (and not present) would stand together in protest. France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Poland, Serbia where are they in this? Why are the US and Canada not more vocal? Heck even Brazil and Argentina with their worldwide appeal should be part of this.

I guess they’re more interested in the money they get from FIFA

35 minutes ago, shen said:

I do not see the financial reasons to be primary here.

If the Danish FA and German FA, for example, do not act against FIFA, they will lose much support back home and suffer damage to their image which will take years to rebuild. Even for a big country like Germany, I'd expect that losing the connection to home support presents a far bigger existential risk than getting less money from a tournament that comes around every 4 years.

Financial reasons will always be primary in anything to do with football and will far trump any ethical posturing, that's why the nations are all there playing football. Show them the $ and they will do exactly as told, reference the one love armband decision. Fair enough, but i cannot see them losing support amongst their fanbase. By early next year everyone will have forgotten about this and be buzzed about euro 2024 qualifying, especially the Germans as it's being hosted there. This will all be a very distant memory by 2026, with a 48 team world cup and bigger revenue targets.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Financial reasons will always be primary in anything to do with football and will far trump any ethical posturing, that's why the nations are all there playing football. Show them the $ and they will do exactly as told, reference the one love armband decision. Fair enough, but i cannot see them losing support amongst their fanbase. By early next year everyone will have forgotten about this and be buzzed about euro 2024 qualifying, especially the Germans as it's being hosted there. This will all be a very distant memory by 2026, with a 48 team world cup and bigger revenue targets.

You might be right, but I hope not. Interest has severely dwindled in Denmark. A big screen venue with up to 15.000 seats reported 150 people showing up for the Tunisia game. 

The Euro games were all packed to the rafters.

Of course the timing of the games and the World Cup plays a big part in that, but the interest is mainly in the politics of the event rather than the football.

My guess is that sponsorship deals and nationwide appeal matter a lot more financially than the FIFA windfalls every four years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Thankfully not everyone is as cynical or as materialistic as this worldview might suggest.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Thankfully not everyone is as cynical or as materialistic as this worldview might suggest.

As the zenmaster says, we shall see. The proof will be in the pudding. If Cosbeh fox's suggestion yields more revenue, they will go, if Fifa yield more revenue, they will stay. Seems quite simple to me. The 'outraged' nations have effectively done nothing to combat any of the perceived injustices in this world cup, they couldn't even muster the courage to wear an armband.