Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Argentina v Australia - Round of 16

10 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

They should be proud of themselves. I wish Poland tomorrow will make half the effort Aussies made today. I was hoping for the  upset and Socceroos win after extra time but that goalkeeper's error was gutting. Maybe if Tim Cahill was playing... ;) 

Based on their performances so far, I doubt Poland will attempt to leave their own half. A good example of the weirdness of football that they fluked their way into the last 16.

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

Weirdo 🤣

Australia played well and contributed to a very entertaining game but some of the attacking football from Argentina was sublime and should make for better games as the tournament progresses 

If you wanted a Qatar v Tunisia final then fair enough 

I think your reasoning is much more weirdo coming from a Leicester fan. 

And where did I write I would want a Quatar Vs Tunisia? I just don't want the boring Brazil vs France or whatever is your favourite big team mate. I want the tournament to keep delivering us surprises, an underdog winning their first title against any big team who already has a few of these. Does that sound so foreign?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Based on their performances so far, I doubt Poland will attempt to leave their own half. A good example of the weirdness of football that they fluked their way into the last 16.

I can understand your sentiment. I reckon at the very least we should see a few yellows maybe a red or two from the mighty slow low flying Polish eagles, that's all I'm really hoping for realistically. Don't go out without a figh, make Wasyl proud!:chant:

2 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I think your reasoning is much more weirdo coming from a Leicester fan. 

And where did I write I would want a Quatar Vs Tunisia? I just don't want the boring Brazil vs France or whatever is your favourite big team mate. I want the tournament to keep delivering us surprises, an underdog winning their first title against any big team who already has a few of these. Does that sound so foreign?

I just want to watch good exciting football and Argentina delivered that tonight. The Euros won by Greece was one of the most boring I can remember but each to their own. To be honest I don’t really care that much who wins it. I certainly don’t want an underdog to win it just because they are that. I want the best footballing side to win it

9 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I want the tournament to keep delivering us surprises, an underdog winning their first title against any big team who already has a few of these.

I love the idea of an unfancied team winning it.

But in actual matches I find myself wanting the 'big' team to win. I think it's because deep down inside I want World Cups to be just like they were when I was ten.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I just want to watch good exciting football and Argentina delivered that tonight. The Euros won by Greece was one of the most boring I can remember but each to their own. To be honest I don’t really care that much who wins it. I certainly don’t want an underdog to win it just because they are that. I want the best footballing side to win it

The best side is the side that wins... Greece proved to be the best side back then and that was beautiful. It wasn't a fluke, it wasn't just one game. I'm sorry you don't see the beauty in Renhagel's Greece or other underdog winning a big tournament against all odds at some point, I most certainly do. An underdog win beats a boring big glossy team win any day in my book.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

The best side is the side that wins... Greece proved to be the best side back then and that was beautiful. It wasn't a fluke, it wasn't just one game. I'm sorry you don't see the beauty in Renhagel's Greece or other underdog winning a big tournament against all odds at some point, I most certainly do. An underdog win beats a boring big glossy team win any day in my book.

Better get yourself a half and half Dagenham/Gillingham scarf then 👍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

But in actual matches I find myself wanting the 'big' team to win. I think it's because deep down inside I want World Cups to be just like they were when I was ten.

But we've had a big favoured team winning every tournament except that Greece win for ages haven't we? Well if you are an England supporter I guess could hardly blame you. It's been a while since 1966 and with this squad of players anything is possible. Tbh I wouldn't mind England winning against any other big team and Maddison scoring the winner at all

4 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

The football world has somewhat balanced itself out with the gradual influx into Europe of players from North Africa and the Middle East. There are no minnows any longer - save Qatar - and we all know why they're there. Players don't languish in backwaters any more - if you're good enough you get scouted.

No 'big' team can expect an easy ride - Germany getting knocked out is witness to that.

Ever since Germany trounced Brazil, it showed that no team could come to the tournament expecting to coast into the later stages. There's always going to be accepted hierarchies - but technical expertise and application are what get you to the knockout stages. And strength in depth.

Messi is the complete player - he often looks inactive, but he's always observing and aware of what's going on, and knows where his pass is going before he gets the ball. Sure, Ronaldo is the athletic showman, but he lacks the cerebral quality of Messi.

• Like 1

I remember seeing a TV programme years and years ago when they kept giving this genius kid an assortment of puzzles to solve and he kept doing so with ease to a chorus of 'wow's and goggle-eyed disbelief.

Watching Messi tonight reminded me of that.

Just The Greatest.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

An underdog win beats a boring big glossy team win any day in my book.

Ever watched the 1970 WC final? Italy were the underdogs going into that match. Some of the best footer I ever saw came from that Brazil side. Boring football rarely means great football. Brazil dominated that game. I think that squad magicked into today's tournaments would astonish football fans. That's what's missing in modern football - and only seen in players like Messi. Even Mbappe, brilliant as he is lacks that verve that typified Maradona, Garrincha and Valderrama. Let's not leave Zidane out of that list - more like a matador come ballet dancer.

Edited by gerblod
Nonsense written in first draft!

28 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I remember seeing a TV programme years and years ago when they kept giving this genius kid an assortment of puzzles to solve and he kept doing so with ease to a chorus of 'wow's and goggle-eyed disbelief.

Watching Messi tonight reminded me of that.

Just The Greatest.

How he still goes past people with ease at his age no1 has done that ever at the age of 35 including Maradona 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Australia really should have buried that chance at the end. Argentina pretty much nailed on for the final it would seem.

I still don't see any difference makers on Argentina except one, albeit that one is the best in the world even as an old man.  And they look shaky at the back, too.  They'll go as far as Messi takes them on his back but that's never been far enough even with much better players surrounding him.

The thing about van Gaal is that while his football would probably make Cruyff lose his lunch, by international standards he's a very cagey and clever manager - maybe the best of any of the top sides.  They may not have Messi - nobody else does - but I'd pick Netherlands over Argentina as a team with a chance to go all the way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

But in actual matches I find myself wanting the 'big' team to win.

If I'm watching as a neutral then I've no idea which way I'll go. I invariably begin to back one side or the other as the game progresses, but have little idea of which one it'll be before the match. I don't know what my rationale is either but it's not entirely decided by any definition of underdog. 

I thought Argentina played with such control, adjusting their tempo to suit and always able to up a gear if needed, that I couldn't think of them as anything other than deserving winners. The Aussies didn't lack for effort, and played some nice football at times, but it was different class - even if the scoreline didn't reflect it. Funny old game.

Tbh, I reckon Argentina could win this.  They seemed to have something in reserve, another level they could go to. That said, all teams are just one shit game from out.