Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

2 hours ago, OnlyOneCity said:

Having passion for your club doesn’t mean it’s only shown by being vocal. This is part of it of course, but making the effort to put yourself out financially, time wise, travel wise just to watch them play, is as far as I’m concerned, showing passion and commitment. I love LCFC and have done for the past 60 years. I don’t envisage this ever stopping. I would only put myself through these trials and tribulations for my immediate family. I see the King Power stadium and Filbert St. before that, as my spiritual homes. My passion for them is all consuming and I don’t acknowledge judgmental views from someone  who thinks that being passionate means singing throughout the match. As it happens, I do support them vocally .

We obviously have differing opinions when it comes to "passion" then, which is fine. 

You also seem to have taken my comment personally, where did I claim to know how long you'd been a Leicester fan or pass any judgement on whether you were vocal at matches? 

If the KP was like the end yesterday then it would look like old Trafford. I think it’s really hard to judge that to be honest. It depends on opposition, score and intensity of the match.. a high scoring game, end to end and coming from behind you would always expect a reaction like that.. would OT produce that against Fulham? 

I thought it was decent yesterday in parts, first half the score reflected the crowd and was to be expected but second half was much better.. Stephys goal was up there with the best I’ve been in. If I was to make a suggestion as I’ve done many times, we need new material. Something that’ll give the crowd a burst of energy..

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I've always thought the Old Trafford atmosphere bashing is over the top. Far from the worst in this country. Certainly witnessed Anfield a lot worse for all the credit they get for their supposed amazing atmosphere.

Helps they were playing their biggest rivals in an FA Cup quarter final though.

Man City can try and be as relevant as they want but the Manchester derby isn't anywhere near Man Utd v Liverpool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

We obviously have differing opinions when it comes to "passion" then, which is fine. 

You also seem to have taken my comment personally, where did I claim to know how long you'd been a Leicester fan or pass any judgement on whether you were vocal at matches? 

Check your response to my earlier message where you made it personal.

1 hour ago, niyaminski said:

If we were in the cup quarters against forest and scored in the 120th minute after being behind, yes. The KP would look exactly like that. Even now a days with our piss poor atmosphere.

Although I have hope for the future. Younger generation seem to be 7-12 age range (as supposed to 16/17/18+) and will be ready to move into the kop in a few years.

Doesn't matter if they can't get tickets and there isn't enough availability for them to move in.

This is entirely on the club for gatekeeping access.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RYM said:

A lot of atmosphere issues (or lack of) come from fans (country wide) not wanting to evolve. In England we love our reactive nature to what happens on the pitch, the chants that come with it etc but the game on the field has changed so much. The atmosphere in the past was raised when dirty challenges, big blocks and a few fights occurred on the pitch but obviously this is no more. The football has been cleansed and the atmosphere with it. We all know this but many don't want to change and still wait for what happens on the pitch to motivate them to make any noise.

I know I go on about my time working in football a lot (sorry) but in that time I learnt a lot more about what fans want and told the clubs I worked for to f**king listen!!  When I worked at Donny they had a soulless bowl so we set up a load of proactive consultation groups and as a result. Over time the atmosphere changed, the tone of voice the club used became less formal and more pub talk and despite the team on the pitch (managed by Paul Dickov and then Darren Ferguson) being so bad, fans had a place and felt part of it again. I mentioned all this before on this thread and in more detail. We put the fans in charge of the atmosphere and it changed. That won't happen at LCFC so we can't wait for that to happen unfortunately. 

When I worked at Brentford, Thomas Frank put me in touch with Brøndby and I went across to see them, Midtjylland, FC Copenhagen and FC Nordsjælland. These clubs don't really have history  like clubs over here. Some are only 30 years old, but what they do have is a culture and an identity that ALL the fans embrace. Many of us will know and admit that European atmospheres are better, we see it on the socials or TV's. When it comes to our own Saturdays we sit in silence waiting for Bob Hazel to crunch someone.....it won't happen! If you look at FCN their fan base is 95% families, the kids (7 years old+) are their flag wavers in the stands, capos and all that goes with it. No trouble, just noise. They build for the future. The older fans embrace it.

When I went to Brøndby I was given permission to go to their Southside stand with one of their SLO's Jimmy. It was incredible. The SLO's are the contact point of the fans and the club (the proper German model of SLO's not the pathetic model the EFL and EPL force over here with club staff to literally tick a box). What this means is that it all evolves organically. I know the rules are different here and you can have a beer in the stands and all that jazz over there but it's all self contained and not reliant on what happens on the green rectangle. The capo leads, the stand reacts, the stadium reacts and you have one hell of an atmosphere. This has to be the model we embrace.

Fans have to evolve, to want to learn from other countries. The model of "come on in" from pen to pen has died, the football has changed and we need to entertain ourselves unfortunately.

I got battered by fans many times for trying to work with groups similar to our very own @Union FS but these people are the future of our terraces. " We don't need drums", "that won't work over here" blah blah blah! It will if you want it to. If nothing changes it'll stay as it is and unfortunately it'll be a fair amount of time before the trainee corpses stop coming.

Totally agree but i just can't see it happening, maybe if we were able to get enough youngsters into the stadiums in England it might, that's what happened in scotland and the 'type' of supporters you allude to is what is transforming the atmosphere north of the border.  But unless the clubs target young fans like they have in scotland nothing will change.  Add the fact that most clubs couldnt careless about the atmosphere and actually surpress it makes change very difficult.

Most psoitive changes at clubs has come when those clubs have struggled/ got relegated, then all of a sudden they want to engage with the fans....funny that.  Never happened at Leicester though.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Totally agree but i just can't see it happening, maybe if we were able to get enough youngsters into the stadiums in England it might, that's what happened in scotland and the 'type' of supporters you allude to is what is transforming the atmosphere north of the border.  But unless the clubs target young fans like they have in scotland nothing will change.  Add the fact that most clubs couldnt careless about the atmosphere and actually surpress it makes change very difficult.

Most psoitive changes at clubs has come when those clubs have struggled/ got relegated, then all of a sudden they want to engage with the fans....funny that.  Never happened at Leicester though.

The EFL are very proactive with getting young families in, clubs are judged on it and it helps drive best practice through the family excellence awards. It starts from being able to identify people coming for their first time, acknowledging this, making it a place kids and families want to come etc. Kids don't remember results, they remember experiences, meeting the mascots or a player, magic moments, gifts on seats for first time fans, tailored emails and websites to help them etc etc. It's a science of customer service really and wanting to grow. The family side was a huge part of my remit at clubs and I could bore you to death with it all but even when I tried this at Motherwell, the concept is encouraged but the desire / budgets to execute an actual strategy are very, very minimal. Scottish football I would say is even more stuck in its ways than ours off the pitch. That said groups like the Well Bois are fantastic at what they do, but they have an ex copper in charge of safety and he regularly wants to stop their activities which aren't anymore than what UFS do. The likelihood of you getting chucked out and banned up here (Scotland) is also bigger.

BTW that "type" of fan are referred to as......."carnival fans" by the corporates.... 🙄

1 minute ago, RYM said:

The EFL are very proactive with getting young families in, clubs are judged on it and it helps drive best practice through the family excellence awards. It starts from being able to identify people coming for their first time, acknowledging this, making it a place kids and families want to come etc. Kids don't remember results, they remember experiences, meeting the mascots or a player, magic moments, gifts on seats for first time fans, tailored emails and websites to help them etc etc. It's a science of customer service really and wanting to grow. The family side was a huge part of my remit at clubs and I could bore you to death with it all but even when I tried this at Motherwell, the concept is encouraged but the desire / budgets to execute an actual strategy are very, very minimal. Scottish football I would say is even more stuck in its ways than ours off the pitch. That said groups like the Well Bois are fantastic at what they do, but they have an ex copper in charge of safety and he regularly wants to stop their activities which aren't anymore than what UFS do. The likelihood of you getting chucked out and banned up here (Scotland) is also bigger.

BTW that "type" of fan are referred to as......."carnival fans" by the corporates.... 🙄

You say that but from my experience the groups are given more freedom than we have in england and are openly encouraged.  Yes they have had issues in the past but a lot of that is to do with fans breaking stadium rules....Look at what the GB have done for the atmosphere at celtic park, look at the UB at Rangers, a decade ago all fans were sat in quiet standiums now the sections are bouncing which has spread to more groups within those clubs to form, and you can now see various groups in one ground in scotland, unheard of in England.

You have a former ultra member now in a high position at Aberdeen and their group has grown, imagine leicester employing a UFS member to oversee fans lol.  Most scottish grounds have at least one ultra group.  Just last week I saw a championship game and a group of lads make a great noise all game it was great, and there was only 2000 there, compare that to 40000 quiet fans that we had on sunday.

You say the odds of being chucked out is higher in scotland, not sure about that either and if social media posts are to be believed even if you are banned its hardly enforced....but i know little about this side of things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

You say that but from my experience the groups are given more freedom than we have in england and are openly encouraged.  Yes they have had issues in the past but a lot of that is to do with fans breaking stadium rules....Look at what the GB have done for the atmosphere at celtic park, look at the UB at Rangers, a decade ago all fans were sat in quiet standiums now the sections are bouncing which has spread to more groups within those clubs to form, and you can now see various groups in one ground in scotland, unheard of in England.

You have a former ultra member now in a high position at Aberdeen and their group has grown, imagine leicester employing a UFS member to oversee fans lol.  Most scottish grounds have at least one ultra group.  Just last week I saw a championship game and a group of lads make a great noise all game it was great, and there was only 2000 there, compare that to 40000 quiet fans that we had on sunday.

You say the odds of being chucked out is higher in scotland, not sure about that either and if social media posts are to be believed even if you are banned its hardly enforced....but i know little about this side of things.

Celtic have a very, very good SLO in John Paul but the GB at times do what they want and often cross the agreed line amongst the good that they do. I don't think the atmospheres at Celtic or Rangers are that great TBH, both similar to the Championship I'd say but with more fans it's louder when it's loud. The Aberdeen thing will be interesting as they are suffering a lot with bad club management. The CEO is the same guy that employed me at Motherwell who, like the owner at AFC is more focussed on ego over fans. 

I went to watch Falkirk earlier this year and it was actually ok, like you say a small but noisy group doing the best they can in a three sided ground. Even little clubs like Pollock here in Glasgow give it a go. It's actually fun to go with my boys when they are up here for those reasons.

re chucking out, I was working a match day at Motherwell, popped out the office with a bottle of coke to have a look at the game and got stewarded out the ground for having a "controlled container" haha.

16 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Some weird comments here.

First half, being cut to shreads, the atmosphere was pretty poor.

After we got a goal and it looked like we had some hope, it was pretty decent.

For those who have been moaning about it, absolute superb "limbs" for the equaliser.

Even my cov supporting mate said limbs were great and he hates us. Lower tier looked class on tv couldn’t see upper tier 

14 hours ago, MattFox said:

Can take the piss out of United for being full of tourists etc but doubt we’ll ever see anything like that at the KP

How often do we score 120th minute winners against our biggest rivals though? Some context is needed.

Anyone that was at the Sevilla game knows it was absolute pandemonium and that's got to be the only game I can honestly think of that compares.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

How often do we score 120th minute winners against our biggest rivals though? Some context is needed.

Anyone that was at the Sevilla game knows it was absolute pandemonium and that's got to be the only game I can honestly think of that compares.

KP would have been half empty before the first equaliser let alone extra time

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Credit where due though, our end for the equaliser looks top drawer.

It was where I was.  It was bedlam.  I've waited a good while to experience a goal reaction like that again.  Proper.. like stepping back a few years

Edited by rugbyblue