Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

9 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I really dislike the idea that it's the responsibility of the fans to provide the atmosphere. 

I know what you're saying, I do consider it a 2 way thing though. Players will feed off fan response, just as there's a feeling a band gets onstage from the crowd (to continue with your analogy)

'here we are now, entertain us' (or entertainers, whichever you prefer!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

But don’t you think if you go there positively and sing and shout your enjoyment of the game is more than if you didn't do that?

It’s not for everyone though is it ?
I used to be like that but I’m not too fussed about singing and chanting anymore, I just go to watch the game.

• Like 2

Talking about bands, couple of years ago I went to an outside band day at Peterborough stadium and Becky hill was on stage. She was singing her well known wish you well song and afterwards said that the crowd was the most placid she’s ever played too. 

If artists can feel there is no atmosphere on stage it can affect them as well as it can a team on a pitch.. it sort of raises the point that if you go to such events not to enjoy yourself, or one that complains about an atmosphere then why bother going? 

I do not buy for one second that the crowd should stay silent until performances improve

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

I attribute a lot of it to our play style. We’re not exactly exciting to watch are we?

It’s hard to get into it and stand up and scream and shout when you’re watching Daniel Amartey pass to Wout Faes, who passes to Amartey, who passes back to faes, who passes to Danny Ward, who passes to Luke Thomas… who passes back to Danny Ward for a possession losing long range kick. 

It’s of course an over simplification, but you can’t really blame the majority of people. 

This sums it up perfectly for me. I appreciate there are groups like Union FS who are taking a proactive approach to generating some form of atmosphere while combatting the modern sides of the game. Pre-match for me it has improved, but after kick-off you feel that drain straight out. Think of the moments that really get the crowd going, their all high speed actions, or during real intense phases of play. Compare that to how we play know and those moments are so few and far between, we labour around with the ball and are easy targets for teams who come to get in our faces instead helping the away support to generate even more noise.

I get to one game in probably every 3/4 home matches and when I'm there I'll make as much noise as possible, it's all I've know since going as a kid, but do I blame people like my dad or those around me who find it hard to back the team vocally, not really, we're a product of the environment the club has created on and off the pitch.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

folk just don’t really want to be there.

.....and that comes back to what's happening on the pitch. The circle needs to be continuous; of course the fans need to do their bit but it's hard when there's nothing exciting happening on the pitch or dare I say it in the Club, which is coming across as a complete shambles.

I don't think a few 100 pre-match flags will do the the trick or cover up the fundamental issue which seems to be the club want a sedate atmosphere for their corporate clientele.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

No for sure but football is still not purely Cinema or Theatre, all fans play an active role. Those that choose not to sing a great deal can still do their bit scaled down. Clap a long, join in with some songs. Doing this I really believe makes their own experience of going down to Filbert Way slightly more positive.

You look at the faces and body language currently and folk just don’t really want to be there.

Agree completely however as my post the other day alluded to, there is a reason people don't really want to be there, people are simply just turning up out of habit, because they feel no other option but renew their ST and the club have them by the bollocks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Agree completely however as my post the other day alluded to, there is a reason people don't really want to be there, people are simply just turning up out of habit, because they feel no other option but renew their ST and the club have them by the bollocks.

Yeah exactly, I have no idea how that cycle is broken.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

.....and that comes back to what's happening on the pitch. The circle needs to be continuous; of course the fans need to do there bit but it's hard when there's nothing exciting happening on the pitch or dare I say it in the Club, which is coming across as a complete shambles.

I don't think a few 100 pre-match flags will do the the trick or cover up the fundamental issue which seems to be the club want sedate atmosphere for their corporate clientele.

Oh yeah agree on that.

The club are obviously working to sanitise and over-police the entire 'matchday experience'. This, coupled with the frankly dire football is manifesting as crowd apathy.

Honestly, I love a sing but don't really feel like it after being harassed at the door so somebody at their first football match can tell me how to enter the stadium and, when I eventuallyI sit down, see us concede a crap penalty and pass it round at the back for half hour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

The KP is virtually the same as everywhere else these days. Think things have gone downhill in recent years with every team playing the same old boring Poundshop Barcelona way. Oh for a Wimbledon or 2015/16 Leicester to shake football out of this borefest. No wonder so many need to get tanked up to watch it.

Newcastle are more direct, probably why they are where they are, as Kasper said a few years ago about the way Leicester used to be, why take 20 passes to do what 2 or 3 can do, something along those lines anyway :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally think the Union FS sermon gathering is not at all effective, other than few flags being waved.

When it was piloted at FA cup tie with Watford, was all good. More recently,  Union FS have tried but does make any difference in terms of noise, banners and also bouncing there energy to other parts of the ground. Also get the sense that the club hierarchy do not support the funding of Tifo displays (why not the money saved from the clap banners) or anything else to ramp up the atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, 1884Man said:

I'm sure the atmosphere at anfield will be rocking. A good reason to go. Away crowds are always better too. I started this thread because the atmosphere was great before the game and then disappeared within minutes. 

Anfield in general is absolutely dreadful. The worst of the big tourist grounds by a mile.