Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Deathlist 2023

2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Chris Bart-Williams apparently.

Another with a Forest & Wednesday connection.

49 years old???

Thats awful. 

This year is rivaling 2016.

Most celebs can piss off, but the deaths of Alan Rickman and David Bowie still make me feel sad.

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Australia, but Peter Cook is dead. 

omg noooo!

Oh well....... at least weve still got Dud! ...Him and some woman named Bo have apparently made a movie?

Just now, tom27111 said:

Out of interest, when people say "that's a tough one to take", I'm by no means criticising it, but who is it for you?

David Bowie and Alan Rickman for me.

Still find it really sad that they're no longer with us.

Taylor Hawkins hit me pretty hard.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Out of interest, when people say "that's a tough one to take", I'm by no means criticising it, but who is it for you?

Robin Williams absolutely broke me. For days. Truly heartbroken after that.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

For the generation I grew up in and for all the music I listen to, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington for sure. That hit hard. 

Before that, probably Michael Jackson. I was so touched :ph34r:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

George Michael for me :( 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Whitney Houston and George Michael 

49 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Andy Rourke and Terry Hall most recently. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think a lot of it depends on their age. I was a big Leonard Cohen fan but he was in his 80s so it was hardly a surprise.

It’s a lot more affecting when it’s someone under the age of 60 whose death comes out the blue I think.

Sean Locke was quite a shocking one that stopped me in my tracks. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Oh, Bowie definitely. Since Peter Cook, the only celebrity death to really upset me. And of course plenty of people worth admiring pass away, like George Alagiah the other day. Or a whole host of them in 2016. I mean, Leonard Cohen. Have you ever listened to Avalanche?!

But Bowie, daft as it is, bothered me more than the deaths of all sorts of people that, in theory, should have hit hard. I put 'Quicksand', 'Cygnet Committee', 'Station to Station', 'Amsterdam' on every night after work solidly for months. I made all my students observe a minute's silence. On reflection, and with some embarrassment, if we hadn't won the league that year I might well have had a breakdown!

If you're mourning Sinead, how about 'Illegal Attacks' with Ian Brown? A bit to-the-point, but well-meaning enough.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Oh, Bowie definitely. Since Peter Cook, the only celebrity death to really upset me. And of course plenty of people worth admiring pass away, like George Alagiah the other day. Or a whole host of them in 2016. I mean, Leonard Cohen. Have you ever listened to Avalanche?!

But Bowie, daft as it is, bothered me more than the deaths of all sorts of people that, in theory, should have hit hard. I put 'Quicksand', 'Cygnet Committee', 'Station to Station', 'Amsterdam' on every night after work solidly for months. I made all my students observe a minute's silence. On reflection, and with some embarrassment, if we hadn't won the league that year I might well have had a breakdown!

If you're mourning Sinead, how about 'Illegal Attacks' with Ian Brown? A bit to-the-point, but well-meaning enough.

Some folks are hollow, by the Brown/O'connor combo is also very good, for my money a better song, lyrically at least. 

I remember hearing an interview with Ian brown years ago where he was saying he wanted a strong female voice on a few tracks and his manager or some such influential person asked him who he'd like and he said well obviously sinead O'connor but we'd never get her. Balls got rolling and she came in to the studio after the school run, knocked out the tracks in one take, was lovely and chatted for a bit, and headed off. Fantastic voice and a tragic case of what can happen to people when you get a lot of bad luck. 

• Like 1